Author Topic: Suggestions for Marcum Showdown issue help  (Read 2306 times)

Offline Tmaida17

• Team IceShanty Regular
Suggestions for Marcum Showdown issue help
« on: Mar 05, 2016, 03:45 PM »
So here's the scenario..
I've been having an issue with my Marcum Showdown since last summer pretty much. It blows fuses, the monitor keeps turning off, and ( I have to unplug it and plug it back in to get it to work) but if I leave it on all day it seems to be alright.

I've tried to call Marcum and first couple guys I talked to were cool and sent me a new cable harness to see that would fix it but it didn't. Last guy I talked to yesterday was extremely rude and pretty muchmade it sound like I did something wrong which I take pretty good care of my stuff, so no I didn't. It's pretty upsetting when you spend $300 for something and it only works a hand full of times then you try to get it fixed and they have you try this and that and next thing I know it's out of warranty.

Anyone have similar issues with the device and have a fix. I've heard people rewire it so they can put a bigger amp fuse and it works fine but I would rather not but looks my only option.

Offline Kopower

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Suggestions for Marcum Showdown issue help
« Reply #3 on: Mar 05, 2016, 04:22 PM »
Is it out of warranty? My first one I purchased got sent back because the screen would stay on, and not shut off.

Offline Tmaida17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 05, 2016, 04:25 PM »
Is it out of warranty? My first one I purchased got sent back because the screen would stay on, and not shut off.

It is now. I got it back in November I believe but the kid I talked to in January and a few weeks ago said bc it's only a few months out of it continues they would fix it so I called yesterday and the guy I got was a complete ass.. Lol.

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Mar 05, 2016, 04:38 PM »
I had an issue with the unit turning off myself. I just cut the wire to the 2 connectors and put on 2 new connectors.

Offline Tmaida17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 05, 2016, 04:45 PM »
I had an issue with the unit turning off myself. I just cut the wire to the 2 connectors and put on 2 new connectors.
They sent me new ones and it did it both times so maybe what they use is just junk.

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Mar 05, 2016, 04:50 PM »
On my unit they were either junk or where not crimped down enough. Just about every time I would hole hope the unit would shut off when I set it down on the ice.

Offline Fontona19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 05, 2016, 05:30 PM »
Not the same problem at all, but when I did have an issue after owning mine for over 3 years I sent it in, and they fixed it free of charge.

Offline Tmaida17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 05, 2016, 05:38 PM »
Not the same problem at all, but when I did have an issue after owning mine for over 3 years I sent it in, and they fixed it free of charge.
I think if you get the right guy on the phone they will. They know it's a hardware problem so they fix it which is how any company should be. What was the issue you had?

Offline NEZ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Good fishing and safe ice
« Reply #10 on: Mar 05, 2016, 07:48 PM »
I had several issues with my Showdown over the years and I have found that you want to speak to Chris, Mike or Zac.  I have emailed them multiple times to work these problems out and I would rate them as A+++.  Upgrade to LX 7 this year and love it.  I did replace the fuse with mine and just put a 3 amp in it and then crimped down the fittings on the battery.  The biggest issue I found is not with the crimps though, it was with the male and female plug that you unplug to charge.  Get some electric conduction jelly at an automotive store.  Just put  a very small amount on and it fixed the problem.  I had to do this about 2-3 times per ice season.  Hope this helps.  Nez

Offline Tmaida17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Mar 05, 2016, 07:57 PM »
I had several issues with my Showdown over the years and I have found that you want to speak to Chris, Mike or Zac.  I have emailed them multiple times to work these problems out and I would rate them as A+++.  Upgrade to LX 7 this year and love it.  I did replace the fuse with mine and just put a 3 amp in it and then crimped down the fittings on the battery.  The biggest issue I found is not with the crimps though, it was with the male and female plug that you unplug to charge.  Get some electric conduction jelly at an automotive store.  Just put  a very small amount on and it fixed the problem.  I had to do this about 2-3 times per ice season.  Hope this helps.  Nez

Good to know I'll look into it. That's something I haven't tried yet. Thanks for the advice!

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #12 on: Mar 05, 2016, 08:56 PM »
you reported issues while it was under warranty and they tried an easy fix that didn't work and when you let them know it they should take care of it. just remind them of what they did to try to keep it on ice for you while you needed it. when you call back and if you know it's not the rude dude, let them know how poorly you were treated. would be best to get names. i would let them know even if it is rude dude, but get the name before any thing else. that helps them get the right people working for them.

chris has been relieved of duty and his replacement maybe a problem.
jeremiah is the best one to ask for and likes to talk and is always in a good mood and helpful and never rude.

i keep this stuff handy for connectors
http://www.homedepot.com/p/CRC-2-26-5-oz-Multi-Purpose-Lubricant-02004/100398344

Offline Fontona19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 05, 2016, 09:23 PM »
I think if you get the right guy on the phone they will. They know it's a hardware problem so they fix it which is how any company should be. What was the issue you had?

My screen went completely blank. It wouldn't show anything at all. I got it back 5 days later, and it worked perfectly since. I have upgraded to an LX7, but my step daughter uses the showdown with no issues.

Offline Tmaida17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Mar 06, 2016, 11:20 AM »
you reported issues while it was under warranty and they tried an easy fix that didn't work and when you let them know it they should take care of it. just remind them of what they did to try to keep it on ice for you while you needed it. when you call back and if you know it's not the rude dude, let them know how poorly you were treated. would be best to get names. i would let them know even if it is rude dude, but get the name before any thing else. that helps them get the right people working for them.

chris has been relieved of duty and his replacement maybe a problem.
jeremiah is the best one to ask for and likes to talk and is always in a good mood and helpful and never rude.

i keep this stuff handy for connectors
http://www.homedepot.com/p/CRC-2-26-5-oz-Multi-Purpose-Lubricant-02004/100398344

I plan on doing that tomorrow if I can get through.  Always have to call and leave my number which is kind of annoying because I work nights and sleep days and would prefer it because emails take to long back and forth and a pain to explain the whole scenario but probably the best route unfortunately.
As for the names I try to remember but over the months of talking to them I forget so I'll have to start writing them down. Brian and Jeremiah I know I talked to and I think Chris. Chris and Brian were good to work with but Jeremiah was the guy interegating me like it was my fault. I'm not a fan of him and believe me when I talk to a supervisor they'll be sure to hear bout it. I just hate to get someone in trouble but it's all about tone and how you talk to people.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Mar 06, 2016, 06:39 PM »
From my experience with calling Marcum Jeremiah is the exception and I'd certainly let a supervisor know.  When I was buying my Showdown I called a few times with questions and they talked with me until all my questions were answered and were super nice. 

Offline NEZ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Good fishing and safe ice
« Reply #16 on: Mar 06, 2016, 09:10 PM »
 I just hate to get someone in trouble but it's all about tone and how you talk to people.
[/quote]
The one thing you need to remember is that you are not getting him in trouble, it is his conduct that is getting him in trouble.  Customer service is extremely important for most businesses, esp when there is such a small market place as in ice fishing.  The higher ups in Marcum would not tolerate it I'm sure.  The service and personnel I have had contact with at Marcum has been exceptionally.  They have extended the warranty of the Showdown multiple times d/t our short season and I have not had to pay for anything that needed fixed.

Offline chukkrok

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Mar 07, 2016, 05:33 PM »
my showdown would blow fuses whenever I would connect it to the battery (while on the ice),NOw,  I hook it up before I leave the house, and it hasn't blown a fuse whenever I do  it that way..I also started using 3 amp fuses..2's were too hard to find..
'

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.