The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Champlain Islands Safe?  (Read 2130 times)

Offline clocarno

• IceShanty Rookie
Champlain Islands Safe?
« on: Mar 04, 2016, 09:07 AM »
Hi there -
Plan on taking my son up to the islands one more time Sunday. Either Carry Bay or The Gut. It's about 1.5 hour drive up for me, I'll stay closer to home if I have to.

Is the ice safe? Can I get on or is the ice near shore junk?

Thank you for the info.
Chris

Offline perchkiller123

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Champlain Islands Safe?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 04, 2016, 09:31 AM »
I dont know about carry bay but the gut isn't safe. i have a friend on the north hero fire department and they had to do a ice rescue for 2 guys that went through yesterday.

Offline Crayfish2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Mar 04, 2016, 10:59 AM »
I dont know about carry bay but the gut isn't safe. i have a friend on the north hero fire department and they had to do a ice rescue for 2 guys that went through yesterday.

That's strange .... we were on the Gut on Tuesday and there was 8" of the most beautiful hard, clear ice.  The shore at the beach was getting sloppy, but someone put planks out so you could get on without getting wet.  I wonder where those guys were?  The channel is opening up fast so I wouldn't venture out toward the middle too far. 

Offline perchkiller123

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 04, 2016, 11:40 AM »
i dont no where on the gut but he told me it was off from knights point probably near the channel like you said.

Offline gogetthegaff

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Mar 04, 2016, 12:36 PM »
Carry had around 10"-12" this past weekend, and the access near Birdland wasn't too bad. A little water but only for a few feet from shore.
Ice fishing is a social activity that may occasionally be interrupted by the catching of fish.

Offline ice4me

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 04, 2016, 07:50 PM »
stopped at the Gut today....dz guys out there fishing plus 5/6 in the inner bay... guys coming off said ice was fine. I even saw 2 4runners out there ( which I think is foolish) but the shore line was fine ...we walked out a few yards...no water.. guys coming in said plenty of ice 8-10in....but the middle is open water...so stay back....!!

Offline perch bait

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lil' Crayfish
« Reply #6 on: Mar 04, 2016, 08:07 PM »
You have to be a bit careful when getting onto the ice by the beach, the water's not deep, but the shore looked like it had some questionable ice like Crayfish2 said. You should also be very careful when going around the point, that spot always has some current going around it and I could see open water there when I went up through the Islands on Tuesday. Good ice once you get on it though. After this cold snap, you should be good to go!
Perch bait- a small minnow that can have big results in the ice fishing game.  :icefish:
My Blog: https://jacobcrawford8.wixsite.com/pboutdooradventure

Offline clocarno

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Mar 04, 2016, 08:18 PM »
Thank you all for the reports
I'll be there Sunday

Good luck to those going out

C
Chris

Offline perch bait

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lil' Crayfish
« Reply #8 on: Mar 05, 2016, 08:43 AM »
Thank you all for the reports
No problem! After all, that is what Iceshanty is here for. Good luck to you and Tight lines for all!!  :tipup:
Perch bait- a small minnow that can have big results in the ice fishing game.  :icefish:
My Blog: https://jacobcrawford8.wixsite.com/pboutdooradventure

Offline Profish169

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Mar 06, 2016, 10:11 PM »
How's the ice in the islands

Offline Dt2434

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Mar 07, 2016, 05:31 AM »
How's the ice on Mississqoui bay?. Alburg area.

Offline gogetthegaff

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Mar 07, 2016, 07:33 AM »
How's the ice on Mississqoui bay?. Alburg area.
There was about 13" off Tabor Point Sunday 3/6/16. Ice was better than I would have thought but there are a couple of pressure cracks to negotiate.
Ice fishing is a social activity that may occasionally be interrupted by the catching of fish.

Offline clocarno

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Mar 07, 2016, 07:40 AM »
We went to the Gut yesterday. Straight out maybe 200-300 yards from beach and ice was 8" - 10"

We got on okay but it had been cold Friday and Saturday, I gotta think with warm temps and rain that will not last long.

Thanks again to those who answered me Friday - we had a blast yesterday enough flags to keep a 9 year old busy for 8 hours.
Chris

Offline Crayfish2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Mar 07, 2016, 08:48 AM »
Nice!  Any keepers?  We haven't pike fished there since mid-January.

Offline clocarno

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Mar 07, 2016, 09:32 AM »
I'd say we caught 50 perch, of the 50 maybe 12 were nice yellow bellies. Interestingly enough I caught the bigger perch on perch eyes.

Caught one pike about 24" and one pickerel that was about 18". Lost one big fish, guessing pike but I never saw it.
Chris

Offline Dt2434

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Mar 08, 2016, 12:09 AM »
There was about 13" off Tabor Point Sunday 3/6/16. Ice was better than I would have thought but there are a couple of pressure cracks to negotiate.
Thank you. I'm hoping there's the same out there come Sunday. I'll be a stones throw from Canada, good luck to all n all stay safe out on the ice!.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.