Author Topic: Ice Rod Hard Case  (Read 3497 times)

Offline hookset81

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ice Rod Hard Case
« on: Feb 29, 2016, 02:22 PM »
Looking for a good hard case that isn't $80...I found a few hard gun cases that look like they will work, anyone every use one?  Suggestions?  Would really like to keep this under $40 and under $30 would be better.

Offline jr50

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ice Rod Hard Case
« Reply #1 on: Feb 29, 2016, 02:41 PM »
This is the one I use.  I have to fold the handles on my reels down but it will hold 6 combos and still have room for a small jig box and few other things in it as well.  Mine has held up for 2 seasons now.  It is a little bulky but it stays in my flip over shelter during transport and storage.  Price is right too.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Flambeau-Tactical-40-AR-MSR-Gun-Case/23578641

Jr50

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 29, 2016, 03:57 PM »
i have the same one, i believe. never used it. paid $30 for it. where are you located? if local, we can meet up.

Offline hookset81

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 29, 2016, 04:21 PM »
Would love to but it would be a long drive.  I am in Ames, IA.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
« Reply #4 on: Feb 29, 2016, 04:41 PM »
I use this... http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/171966/plano-protector-series-arrow-case-polymer-black?cm_mmc=pf_ci_google-_-Archery-_-Plano-_-171966&gclid=CM_6t62FnssCFYMfHwodfkYFSw

I got mine for $20 it was on sale and just put mattress pad foam that i had laying around in it for protection... i carry 4 rods in it

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline Joe in T.C.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 29, 2016, 04:43 PM »
MTM Ice Fishing Rod Box (Red), New, Free Shipping

e-Bay, shipped to your door for less than $40

good luck  :tipup:

Offline FreshMeat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 29, 2016, 09:21 PM »
I got this Plano takedown shotgun case. Holds 4 rods under 32" you maybe able to fit more, and it keeps them very secure.  Someone else on this site recommend it on a previous post, can't beat the price!

http://www.amazon.com/Plano-Pillared-Take-Down-Case/dp/B000P3YSO6

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 29, 2016, 09:24 PM »
I got this Plano takedown shotgun case. Holds 4 rods under 32" you maybe able to fit more, and it keeps them very secure.  Someone else on this site recommend it on a previous post, can't beat the price!

http://www.amazon.com/Plano-Pillared-Take-Down-Case/dp/B000P3YSO6

Do you have to fold down your reel handles for this case?

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 29, 2016, 09:27 PM »
I looked at the cheap options and bought the Otter Sportsman case.  Its more fun to spend more money on awesome stuff than it is to save money and complain about cheap stuff.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline bowmandan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 29, 2016, 09:37 PM »
I use an archery arrow case

Offline FreshMeat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 29, 2016, 09:42 PM »

Yes you do, it's only downside

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 29, 2016, 09:51 PM »

Yes you do, it's only downside

Thanks! I wonder if you shave the foam down so its not as thick. Do you think that would help get them in there without folding handles down? Its probably just me, but it'd be annoying to fold them out each time we move spots.

Offline IceOsprey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 01, 2016, 07:01 AM »
Eagle claw makes a six rod holder one. Think you can find them on sale $40 and the reel can stay on.

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • STAND FOR THE FLAG, KNEEL FOR THE CROSS
« Reply #13 on: Mar 01, 2016, 07:35 AM »
I think I can say that the ice fishing season is winding down, wait till the rummage sales start and you will be able to find lots of gun cases for little money. I bought 2 last year for $5.00 each and they work fine for hauling rods. You will have to fold the handles down on the reels, but it's a small task to do and not have your rods broken like I did with stuff flying around in the bottom of your tub.

Offline hookset81

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Mar 01, 2016, 08:10 AM »
Thanks for the great suggestions!  The reason I am looking now is I have one more trip planned, leaving next Thursday for South Dakota to hit late ice perch and then off to Colorado to go after Lake Trout!  Going to be a hell of a trip, mixing in three days of skiing with the family too!

I am looking for something better than my cheap soft bag that I have been using as I am sure there will be a lot of jostling around on this trip.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #15 on: Mar 01, 2016, 08:18 AM »
Thanks for the great suggestions!  The reason I am looking now is I have one more trip planned, leaving next Thursday for South Dakota to hit late ice perch and then off to Colorado to go after Lake Trout!  Going to be a hell of a trip, mixing in three days of skiing with the family too!

I am looking for something better than my cheap soft bag that I have been using as I am sure there will be a lot of jostling around on this trip.

I have the Striker Ice transporter bag ...holds 5 rods  w/o collapsing the reels with plenty of storages in its center pocket ...4 zippered outer pockets for tackle storage ...out of your price range by some but I love this bag..i have a Frabill hard case too
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • STAND FOR THE FLAG, KNEEL FOR THE CROSS
« Reply #16 on: Mar 01, 2016, 08:31 AM »
If you're just making a long road trip,  wrap your rods in cut up cardboard. cut a little longer than your rods are, stuff some newspaper around them and in the ends, and bungy cord the cardboard.

Offline yoopermjm

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Mar 01, 2016, 03:19 PM »
That Striker Ice Transporter bag looks exactly like what I've been looking for. They are sold out everywhere, so I guess I'll have to wait until next year.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #18 on: Mar 01, 2016, 03:58 PM »
Dicks sporting goods usually gets the Transporter bag early in the season ...sign up for their Emails and wait for $20 off $100 code/coupon ...they apparently have gained popularity since I bought mine 2 yrs ago
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline yoopermjm

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Mar 01, 2016, 05:12 PM »
Dicks sporting goods usually gets the Transporter bag early in the season ...sign up for their Emails and wait for $20 off $100 code/coupon ...they apparently have gained popularity since I bought mine 2 yrs ago

thanks, I will.

Offline 4ssss

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Mar 01, 2016, 05:28 PM »
I just found 3 places online that have them in stock. 2 of them are advertise here. Glen's and Reed's. Amazon also has them in stock from Reed's.

Offline yoopermjm

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Mar 01, 2016, 07:28 PM »
I just found 3 places online that have them in stock. 2 of them are advertise here. Glen's and Reed's. Amazon also has them in stock from Reed's.

Thanks for trying to help me out, but they are not available at any of those places. We're talking about the Striker Ice Transporter Bag. You must be looking at the Striker Ice Rod Case. I do appreciate your work for me though!

Offline hookset81

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Mar 02, 2016, 09:17 PM »
Well, I went out and looked for some today after finding the Frabill 7020 case, which was twice my target price of $40 but is really a great case that will fit my larger lake trout rod too.  Lucked out and found a less expensive Plano break down gun case for $25 at Sportsmans Warehouse. 

Again, thanks for all the suggestions, much appreciated.

Offline Mittenman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Mar 03, 2016, 09:50 AM »
You might also want to see what kind of deal you can find on the PLANO AR GUN CASE. I believe it to be the exact same case as the Frabil Heavy Duty Rod Locker. I bought a Frabil Rod Locker for $80 and love it but I saw the Plano 42" AR case on sale the next day for $50 and believe it to be the exact same case. I tried a few other cases such as the MTM and a Cabelas soft side case before settling on what I have now and feel like it's been well worth the money the only thing I would have done different is buy the Plano branded one.

Edit I see that you found a rod case. Goodluck on your fishing trip.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.