The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Headed North last weekend  (Read 729 times)

Offline Yachtzy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Headed North last weekend
« on: Feb 23, 2016, 02:40 PM »
  Took the family skiing on Friday, when I left my house it was 31*, and the entire ride from the NH border up was 17* - 19*. On the way up I saw quite a few hardsides on the ponds. It got me thinking.

I have an old 1994 version of Clark's NH fishing guide, and it's still helpful. That was my go to before smartphones, Navionics, Google earth, etc. Picked a few spots and went for it. Ended up doing ok, nothing big, but plenty of flags and fish. Saturday did the 7-3pm shift, 7 LM & 10 pickeral. Said what the hay, and went back Sunday for a short trip 9-1pm, 6 LM & 8 pickeral. I'm surprised I didn't catch not even one perch or crappie.

Ice was 11" on Saturday,  with a 1/2" ice crust and 2" of snow on top, every step sounded like I was walking on broken glass, I still spudded the whole way, but come to find out I could of drove my truck out there if I chose. Pouring rain on the way up, then switched to snow, then the sun came out and it was beautiful. On Sunday the top layer was a nice hard glaze, a jet sled perfect condition. It only lost an inch by the time I left Sunday. Just me and the crows there both days, everyone must be chasing trout somewhere else.

For anyone worried about safe ice, why not go north? It was an hour and 20 minute ride for me, closer than going to Central MA, I'm 5 minutes from the ocean . I think it's about $58 online for a non resident license,  and worth every penny. I fish for bass, so I can use 6 traps on a non trout managed body of water. They have plenty of trout waters too, but most are 2 trap lakes, check first.

If you want to make it easy to find ice up there, just head out around 9 am, it's big derby weekend and your bound to see other people out there at many different locations.

A picture from the Summit of Wildcat ski resort of Mt. Washington. There was more ice on those trails than any pond I fished this year. Took a good wipe out, still feeling it!

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
Re: Headed North last weekend
« Reply #1 on: Feb 23, 2016, 03:22 PM »
Great report Yachtzy!!!

If you ever want company to ski and ice fish like you just did, I would be game! I can get my own place for the night or nights and just meet you wherever.
Just add water.

Offline 44blackfooted

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 23, 2016, 03:34 PM »
just curious was that nh

Offline otzi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 23, 2016, 03:37 PM »
Nice job going someplace unfamiliar and having such success, you make it look easy with some nice bass there. Well done!
Suit up and show up!

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Feb 23, 2016, 03:51 PM »
Amazing what a bit of a road trip can do for morale and numbers of fish!  Nice work Chris.

Offline craiger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Swedish steel is for real
« Reply #5 on: Feb 23, 2016, 04:02 PM »
Excellent results and an equally excellent report, thanks for sharing.   :thumbsup:

Offline tilted

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 23, 2016, 04:22 PM »
Don't let go of that Clarks book... They come in handy..even in the age of the internet
Burn Baby Burn!!!!

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #7 on: Feb 23, 2016, 06:08 PM »
I've been thinking about getting a NH licence. It looks like you had a great trip! The scenery is awesome ! Nice larry's too 👍👍.

Offline Jschumacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nothing beats walking on water. Life Member NAFC
« Reply #8 on: Feb 23, 2016, 08:42 PM »
Great job Chris. That picture of Washington is a great shot. Doesn't look like a whole lot of snow in Tuckermans. Wonder if it will be skiable this year.
Hard water Tight lines Flags up. Doesn't get any better than that

Member of the G.O.D.S

Offline Knot there yet

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Sub Zero Mafia Ice Team
« Reply #9 on: Feb 24, 2016, 06:25 AM »
We were in barrington NH Sunday  12" of ice only an hour from border on rt95. Derby weekend should be crazy up there. As we are planning on going back this weekend for last blast.

Offline Yachtzy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 24, 2016, 02:18 PM »
Thanks guys.

Also almost hit a bald eagle with the windshield of my truck. I was heading north on rt.16 just going over the Piscataqua River bridge, and he comes soaring from west to east very fast. It was a close call,  was about 15' away max.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.