Author Topic: the dissapearance of fish in recent years.  (Read 1857 times)

Offline fishnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
the dissapearance of fish in recent years.
« on: Feb 01, 2006, 10:58 PM »
For me, it was only 10-15 years ago I could go into any lake in Saskatchewan and catch lots of fish(and release them).  Perch are a very good example.  Perch were obviously the favorite in those days.  They were everywhere in most lakes.  Now you have to spend countless hours drilling, searching and waiting. I remember I used to talk to people who would say "i used to come here every day and take home 2 pails of perch".  Well holy crap...you take 50 perch a day even 10 times a year thats 500 mature fish disappearing before spawning time.  500 fish x god knows how many eggs = alot of fish missing from the system!!!! And that's just 1 person!!!  Most lakes where I live are heavily fished, and in my opinion, fished out.  My question is, what do you think plays the biggest role in declineing fish populations?  (A)Heavy fishing pressure from people  (B)pollution or (C)winterkills or (d)other.   I'm awaiting your opinions...
fishing - It's a religion, not a sport.

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
Re: the dissapearance of fish in recent years.
« Reply #1 on: Feb 01, 2006, 11:12 PM »
I was talking to a guy once and he was bragging that he had over 50 lbs. of perch fillets in his freezer.  He went on to say he will not even eat that much. I looked down and he Had another bucket half full.  Got to love guys who keep everything they catch.

Offline Waubay Fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 01, 2006, 11:42 PM »
I agree Gambell that's a little uncalled for.  In our family we keep what we eat and everynow and then also give some to good friends and relatives who love to eat fresh fish.  I couldn't imagine having 50lbs of perch fillets in my freezer - that's just a little ridiculous - and then to brag about it on top of it?!?!  ???

To answer your question Fishnut - I know from a personal experience w/ Waubay Lake where I primarily fish that the fish population in that lake including walleye, northern, and perch have all drastically suffered from fishing pressure.  I ain't going to start on out-staters simply because I've seen many in-staters take ridiculous amounts of fish weekend after weekend too... But.... it isn't just fishing pressure that causes things like this.  For example, lake drainage and/or evaporation which can cause spawning grounds to be lost for those species has also contributed a little bit, at least in my beliefs - and likely can do the exact same in other lakes.  As far as winterkill - I believe we only have a couple handfuls that experience winterkill, although I could be wrong on that - I do know there's not many... Pollution hasn't been a big problem in our state (at least I don't think?!?) - but I can imagine that could add to the problems...

My vote though for the biggest contributer goes to (A) - heavy fishing pressure.

My $.02

Offline crappie rob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 02, 2006, 02:26 AM »
I could be wrong, but I'm going to blame it on "Global Warming" or "Muskies Inc." Where all species of fish are bait!!! Just my $.02. Crappie Rob.
Lets Go Cubs. Bring on the baseball season!!!

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #4 on: Feb 02, 2006, 06:43 AM »
In northern NY I would say it is from over fishing and acid rain killing the lakes. :'(
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline reelbigfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Just one more and we'll all go home. SE Mi.
« Reply #5 on: Feb 02, 2006, 07:58 AM »
Jetskis and skiboats have turned my favorite fishin lake into a constant chop all summer long.  This and the ability to go over all areas of the lake without a propeller have washed out most of the shallow water fish beds.  Zebra mussels from lake Erie
boats have made the water in a couple of sand bottom lakes in the area so clear you
can see the bottom in 20 plus fow.  They have eaten most of the fish's foodsource.
Milfoil weed has choked off several lakes.  From the lillypads toward shore nothing but
a thick, stagnant, algae-like weed.  It chokes off the fishbeds.  Fishing pressure isn't
as big a factor to declining fish populations as some of these other issues. Sometimes
fishermen cleaning out a certain slot-size of fish can help the bigger fish grow.  Thats
why I want you guys to get out there and catch a bunch of those smaller fish so there will be more bigger fish for me.   ;D
                                                                                   Ted
Many men go fishing their entire lives without knowing it's not fish they are after.
Thoreau

Offline Grimace

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ive Had It
« Reply #6 on: Feb 02, 2006, 09:42 AM »
Building condos and subdivisions around lakes doesnt help with erosion.   even back in the day when they were settling farms around lakes and rivers.   soon as you cut the trees down erosion control goes to hell.  Overfishing does it.  commercial fishing in big lakes.  Natives overharvesting with nets across rivers just cause they can.  pollution, industry, acid rain, you name it, it hurts.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #7 on: Feb 02, 2006, 09:57 AM »
I have to agree with Waubay Fisher about the fishing pressure on Waubay Lake because I fish that lake also. I don't think the population of South Dakota is more than about 700,000 people for the whole state and I don't know the percentage of the population that fishes let alone the percent that ice fishes. We used to have a 25 fish limit on panfish and it was lowered to 10 because of the fishing pressure on Northeastern lakes. Waubay Lake had 100,000 Perch per month removed from it the year before the Perch limit was lowered. If we were to keep over fishing these lakes like that we would be fishing in the toilet in a few years. Our clam cops are constantly arresting people heading down the highway with 50 to 150 Perch over the possession limit. We have a phone line here called Turn In Poachers and it gets used a lot. Devils Lake in North Dakota is a good example. It used to be one of the best Perch destinations in North America and they seldom mention any species other than Walleyes and Northerns when they advertise now. North Dakota game officials wouldn't listen to local anglers when they asked for Perch limits until it was too late. Fish and enjoy it, but don't take em home and freeze em and throw em out when they get freezer burned. :(
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 02, 2006, 01:06 PM »

Remember 90% of the fishermen catch 10% of the fish and
10% of the fisherman catch 90% of the fish :)
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #9 on: Feb 02, 2006, 01:59 PM »
Jeese guys, you remember all the fisheries that have done downhill, but forget all the ones that have gotten better?? 

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 02, 2006, 04:16 PM »
Jeese guys, you remember all the fisheries that have done downhill, but forget all the ones that have gotten better?? 

Can't count lakers on the King if we can't icefish it! >:(   lol.

Actually, conservation is doing alot to keep fisheries from going down the tubes.....Lake Erie anyone?

Offline Ray4852

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #11 on: Feb 02, 2006, 04:45 PM »
Lake Erie perch are coming back and walleye too. The Canadian gill nets are the big problem not the sportsman.

Offline Grimace

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ive Had It
« Reply #12 on: Feb 02, 2006, 05:04 PM »
Lake Erie perch are coming back and walleye too. The Canadian gill nets are the big problem not the sportsman.

U.S.   Doesnt net?

Offline Roncarr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it swims I will JIG IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #13 on: Feb 02, 2006, 05:10 PM »
you guys should do somthin abuot those gill nets in eirie Im from mass nets almost killed the cod fisherie they started to come back good so they let the nets fly again and now it is in the crapper once more    true story my buddie terry was on a cod trip the boat had problems and he only fished for 4 hrs he caught 115 lbs of cod fillets he told me to get out there asap my brother and I were on the boat that saturday we got out to the spot and the captain came over the loud speaker and said the fishin was great til this dragger showed up and started taking everything my brother and I caught 25 lbs of fillets in 8hrs I hate them they kill all juvenile fish and ruin the bottom turning it into a DESERT  >:(THERE LUCKY I DONT HAVE A TRILLION DOLLARS I WOULD BUY A NUCLEAR SUB AND ADMINISTER THE CODS REVENGE ps polatitions dont help
no flag just a perch doin a drive by 

Offline Roncarr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 02, 2006, 05:18 PM »
It doesnt matter if the net is american or canadien any net that takes thousands of fish in hours is deffinitly the ENEMYin the 60s and 70s they used to catch 60lb cod from shore in the cape cod canal two years ago I heard of a ten pound cod caught from there might not be true I didnt see it I believe nets are to blame  >:(

Offline biggvinn2000

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish or go home
« Reply #15 on: Feb 02, 2006, 05:22 PM »
I  have something to say about those gill nets, get rid of em!!!!!! I live right on Erie and watch those gillnetters, man they make me mad. I have also seen Canadiens get caught fishing in U.S. waters. It happens every year, and it should be stopped. I dont have a problem with our sister country, but the commercial fishing laws should be tightend up a little. Where I live , in the summer the charter fishing buisness is what keeps us alive mostly, and if there is no fish to catch we all will suffer.
Women love me , fish fear me!!!!!!

Offline Roncarr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 02, 2006, 05:23 PM »
grimace I love the pic of santa wered ya get it  :o

Offline Grimace

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ive Had It
« Reply #17 on: Feb 02, 2006, 05:23 PM »
nets are disgusting.  I agree.

I got the santa picture off some funny picture site on the internet.

Offline Grimace

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ive Had It
« Reply #18 on: Feb 02, 2006, 05:32 PM »
Was just reading up on the gill net thing.   WOW.

here is an excerpt.

The New York sport harvest of walleye has been higher than the Ontario commercial harvest in the eastern basin throughout the 1990s, except in 1993, and was double Ontario’s commercial harvest last year. (Perhaps New York walleye anglers are more successful BECAUSE they don’t have to compete with commercial gill nets!)

somethings gotta be done about them nets.

Thats sad.  I didnt even know. 

Offline Ray4852

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #19 on: Feb 02, 2006, 05:36 PM »
Canadian gill nets are the problem. You don’t see one gill net on the American side. There more money selling boats, putting in campgrounds and bringing in the tourist dollar. Who profits from the gill nets. Lake Erie is too big for the sportsman. He can’t hurt it. We only have 4 months to fish it. If Canada could come up with a solution on how to control the commercial fleet everybody could benefit from it. Just think if you guys pulled out all your gill nets for ten years lake erie would be a fish market.

Offline biggvinn2000

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish or go home
« Reply #20 on: Feb 02, 2006, 05:36 PM »
I agree about the net thing, I have seen dead walleye on the shores of Lake Erie because of commercial fisherman were over ther quota or something like that and these fish are thrown back and die. I think commercial fishing should have tighter restrictions.
Women love me , fish fear me!!!!!!

Offline Grimace

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ive Had It
« Reply #21 on: Feb 02, 2006, 05:49 PM »
http://radio.cbc.ca/news/fish/pstfact.pdf#search='american%20salmon%20harvest'

Americans are doing the same stuff out west with salmon trawlers.

all this stuff should be stopped.  Ontario nets.  U.S.  trawlers.

Offline Roncarr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 02, 2006, 06:04 PM »
this is not a us or canadien problem its our problem as fisherman where I live the nets have to let go all undersize fish cod haddock and they are dead if they used rod reel for com fishing they could let small fish go and never over harvest politics stink and money rules dont you think we spend more money on boats gear than the commercial fleets do as an ecinomic impact I dont know what to do if it were up to me we would form a mallitia and stop it >:(

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.