Author Topic: Had some success today  (Read 862 times)

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Had some success today
« on: Feb 20, 2016, 03:39 PM »
Got out onto a two trap lake today with a friend, and had a good day. One gentleman was on the ice before us, and we set up a short distance from him. We were all set up by around 645-7, and had a flag within a half hour which resulted in a nice salmon for my friend. Shortly after a group of 4 guys showed up and planted themselves right next to us. They proceeded to drill holes, and set up despite being asked to give some space by the gentleman who was there when we arrived. There is no need for this, but it didn't ruin anyone's day thankfully.

Sometime after we had a few flags with hit and spits, but on the next flag I got to the whole and the fish was within sight. He was right below the hole in about 3 ft of water so I set the hook and had the fish in the ice before my friend even made it to the hole. A nice male at just over 19".

After that flag we headed over to talk to our neighbor who was fishing solo. He was someone we had seen at this spot before, but we chatted for a while about our inconsiderate neighbors and the fishing. his patience was rewarded shortly after with another nice rainbow which took an egg as he was setting up his jaw jacker.

My friend was the next to score with another nice female rainbow which was shorter than the others, but put up the best fight. The rest of the day resulted in two misses by yours truly. Both fish where in the line, but I missed the hook set. Bad way to end it, but a good day overall.

We also had a bit of a scare in the morning when we noticed there was a sled with gear in tow sitting on the ice with snow on it from the previous night. There was open water in front of it, and with the owner no where in sight we were concerned to say the least.The owner walked on the ice around 830 and was staying at one of the adjacent cottages. As his group was leaving the ice one of the party went through the ice. Although there was a decent amount of ice where we fished it's still sketchy out, and I was surprised to see a sled on the ice. 

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Had some success today
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20, 2016, 03:58 PM »
Nice fish ! :)

Offline fullerbn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 20, 2016, 04:09 PM »
well sounds like you had lots of ups and downs today, good job with the pretty bows!

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Feb 20, 2016, 05:57 PM »
Great day boys! Congrats!
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline DovaIceFisha

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 20, 2016, 06:36 PM »

We also had a bit of a scare in the morning when we noticed there was a sled with gear in tow sitting on the ice with snow on it from the previous night. There was open water in front of it, and with the owner no where in sight we were concerned to say the least.The owner walked on the ice around 830 and was staying at one of the adjacent cottages. As his group was leaving the ice one of the party went through the ice. Although there was a decent amount of ice where we fished it's still sketchy out, and I was surprised to see a sled on the ice. 

[/quote]

With this being said, nobody in their right mind would have walked over the area where he fell. The ice gets pushed up there constantly and in the 15+ years i have fished that spot i have never seen someone walk there. It was at most only 2 feet deep but regardless you shouldnt be walking there.

Offline 207 in the 406

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 21, 2016, 07:46 PM »
Nice fish!

Offline BarringtonBrad

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • either on the ice or wishing I was
« Reply #6 on: Feb 21, 2016, 07:51 PM »
Nice job getting at em!
Tight lines!!

Offline WhereDaRainbows

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 21, 2016, 08:09 PM »
Nice bows way to go
"I have fished through fishless days that I remember happily without regret." -- Roderick Haig-Brown

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.