Author Topic: a "Info or Warning" Thread  (Read 1014 times)

Offline USMC130FE

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 2008 NAIFC Contestant
a "Info or Warning" Thread
« on: Feb 01, 2006, 08:50 AM »
I received a warning order at work concerning a Virus that is supposed to happen Feb 3 '07 and another one concerning certain area codes that when dialed charge up to $2400.00 a minute.  Also some that deal with credit card scams.  Would be nice to have someplace to warn the Shanty people.  Obviously the administrators would not be responsible for the accuracy of the info but at least members would have an idea of what to be on the look out for.  Just a thought.

T/L
Steve
http://www.bluecrayfish.com/icefishpics/albums/userpics/2-18-08_001c.jpg

Sure the Marines are a Department of the Navy, We're the MENS DEPERTMENT!!!!

Offline killitandgrillit

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Drilling and Grilling!
Re: a "Info or Warning" Thread
« Reply #1 on: Feb 01, 2006, 09:06 AM »
If the Scott decides to create a forum like that, I'd be happy to mod it.

More information regarding the virus in question. The common name of the virus is the "Kama Sutra" worm. The Official name is win32/Mywife.E@mm and Nyxem.

This virus spreads by email. Once infected, your computer will send the virus on to all of the contacts in your Outlook/Outlook Express contacts folder. Once your computer is infected, it can also spread across to network drives, if the administrator password is blank. The virus payload (what it does) is to disable anti-virus and firewall software, and delete certain files including Office documents, on the third day of every month.

If you get an email with the subject line ""School girl fantasies gone bad," "The Best Videoclip Ever," "A Great Video," "give me a kiss," "Fwd: Photo," "Fw: Sexy," "You Must View This Videoclip!" "Miss Lebanon 2006," etc. The text differs; it may include references to the Kama Sutra - the ancient Sanskrit book on sex and related matters. DO NOT OPEN THE ATTACHMENT. DELETE IT IMMEDIATLY, AND EMPTY YOUR "DELETED ITEMS" FOLDER.

You can protect your computer by running an updated Anti-Virus program. There are several free programs out there. Here is a link to one of the best freeware AV programs available. If you have a AV program who's trial version has expired, uninstall it, then install AVG Antivirus using the link provided below. If you dont have an AV program, just run the install program.

http://free.grisoft.com/softw/70free/setup/avg71free_375a691.exe

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found,because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I  don't want to waste the trip; maybe one day I will catch a mermaid; and finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important, but because I suspect that so m

Offline northdease

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Pike Hunter
« Reply #2 on: Feb 01, 2006, 09:30 AM »
i think it would be great since i seem to spend more time here than any other website.

Offline rendo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Michigan
« Reply #3 on: Feb 03, 2006, 08:25 AM »
 Thanks KG. Very good info. And yes avg is a good virus checker.
willing to learn new tactics

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.