Author Topic: propane power auger  (Read 5000 times)

Offline Crappie_Rod

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • CRAP EYE
propane power auger
« on: Feb 13, 2016, 09:17 AM »
have trouble every year getting my old power auger started. going to buy a new power auger. thinking of maybe a propane auger. what do you guys think? tired of the gas and exhaust fumes!!!!

Offline JiggerDan

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: propane power auger
« Reply #1 on: Feb 13, 2016, 09:22 AM »
Ion! No gas or exhaust fumes. ;)2
Jesus ain't the only one who walks on water!

Offline gearheart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 13, 2016, 09:57 AM »
Trouble starting could be related to how you're storing it. Do you use premium gas? Do you add stabilizers? Have you ever done a tune up?  I laugh myself silly each spring at the boat ramp when guys have trouble starting their motors. Most of them say "I don't understand, it ran just fine last summer."

Offline 04toyota79

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 13, 2016, 10:06 AM »
Eskimo HC40 propane auger. Bought one before last season and couldn't be happier. Still on my first bottle of propane and have literally drilled 100+ holes. Starts within 1-2 pulls every time. Sat all summer and still started within 2 pulls. Was leary about propane at first but will never go back to gas auger again. Any questions feel free to ask.

Offline jiggenfrogs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 13, 2016, 10:18 AM »
Just got the Eskimo HC 40 and It worked well for me. I left it out side the shack overnight at -15 and it took around 7-8 pulls to fire it up.. Takes a little longer to warm up, never bogged down drilling around 30'' of ice.  Used it in the shack and it didn't drive me out like the gas auger I have.  I like it so far need a few more trips with it though.
If you wantah be a fishah you gotah smoke a swishah!

Offline Dean Nelson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 13, 2016, 10:24 AM »
Had my Eskimo for a couple years now and love it. Don't have to worry about storing it and its starts in the first two pulls. Only problem with them is if fishing in 30 below or more they can get a little grumpy but a guy can just leave the tank in the house and that solves the problem.

Offline Crappie_Rod

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • CRAP EYE
« Reply #6 on: Feb 13, 2016, 10:30 AM »
thanks guys  really thinking about one. don't have to worry about those kind of temps. where i am from.

Offline tbulhead

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 13, 2016, 10:56 AM »
I have an 8 inch Eskimo 40HC and it works good.  20 years from now I bet it still will work good.  It does weigh about 31 lbs.  For a $100 more you may want to consider the Ion which weighs about 10 lbs less.  It may not seem like a lot of weight until you start drilling 20 or 30 holes for tip-ups.  My father has a 5 inch Strikemaster Laser hand auger with an ice master adapter for an 18 volt Ryobi Hammer drill with a silver 4 amp Lithium-Ion Battery.  His set up is nice and light weight and it also works very well.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Feb 13, 2016, 11:14 AM »
If I was going to get a propane auger I'd get the Eskimo HC40, from what I've read and heard Eskimo really did their homework when designing it and you don't have to worry about laying it any certain way.  On thing I know a few guys with propane augers, no matter what brand auger it is, put a bottle warmer, it looks like the insulated sleeve you put a beer can in, on the propane bottles in the deep cold to keep the propane warm.  I personally wouldn't get an ION because of the price of the replacement batteries.

Offline kevinsdub

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 13, 2016, 12:22 PM »
I bought a jiffy pro about a month ago, 10" cut, best thing since sliced bread. Drilled about 65 holes with it so far on the first bottle of propane, starts first or second pull every time

Offline iowapackfan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 13, 2016, 12:35 PM »
I bought an Ion this year and just love it. lightweight,no fumes and it is very quiet. To each his own I guess.
God,Country, and the Green Bay Packers

Offline Geezer_

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • friends with the same mental disorder....priceless
« Reply #11 on: Feb 13, 2016, 03:19 PM »
Bought a Jiffy 4Pro 8 inch and love it ! Starts within two pulls and I think it makes propane. Still on the first bottle after 80+ holes . No trouble remembering to lay it down gas bottle up. I keep an extra warm just in case but have never had to use it.

Offline nocod

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 13, 2016, 03:22 PM »
I bought a jiffy pro about a month ago, 10" cut, best thing since sliced bread. Drilled about 65 holes with it so far on the first bottle of propane, starts first or second pull every time
2nd year for me, best auger ever  :)

Offline ElmLake

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 13, 2016, 03:41 PM »
my Jiffy pro4 lite weighs in about 21-22 lbs.  Love it.  Going on 3rd year, no probs.

Offline tbulhead

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 13, 2016, 03:43 PM »
The eskimo propane auger has to be laid a certain way to prevent oil from entering the cylinders.  I doubled checked this with Eskimo' s customer support.

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 13, 2016, 04:12 PM »
Jiffy Pro 4 lite here and absolutely love it.

Offline boatman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 13, 2016, 04:34 PM »
Eskimo HC-40 propane. Only 30 lbs and only the little Mako 33 is lighter. I don't know where people get the idea the HC-40 propane is heavy cuz it is a myth. On my second year and it cuts and starts like a champ. Could not be happier.

Offline tipman14

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Feb 13, 2016, 05:54 PM »
I love mine
I’m here for the cusk !!!!

Offline jiggenfrogs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Feb 13, 2016, 08:12 PM »
If I was going to get a propane auger I'd get the Eskimo HC40, from what I've read and heard Eskimo really did their homework when designing it and you don't have to worry about laying it any certain way.  On thing I know a few guys with propane augers, no matter what brand auger it is, put a bottle warmer, it looks like the insulated sleeve you put a beer can in, on the propane bottles in the deep cold to keep the propane warm.  I personally wouldn't get an ION because of the price of the replacement batteries.
You do have to lay it spark plug up.  Says it on the auger so you don't fill the carb up with oil.
If you wantah be a fishah you gotah smoke a swishah!

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #19 on: Feb 13, 2016, 08:13 PM »
Jiffy Pro 4 lite here and absolutely love it.
ditto
GOD BLESS
mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline don519

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 13, 2016, 08:24 PM »
I've got the jiffy pro40 8" love it last year when I got done fishing I put it in a corner after I took off the bottle this year I took it out put the same bottle back on 3 easy pulls and it fired right up 1 pull after that 100-200 hole off 1 bottle and you can buy the demo models from jiffy at a discounted price

Offline Nightbird

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 14, 2016, 08:58 PM »
Would be really helpful when describing number of holes drilled, if the corresponding ice thicknesses were given. Without that, how many holes drilled on a propane tank or battery is meaningless.

Offline don519

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 14, 2016, 09:45 PM »
Like any other auger the thicker the ice the more fuel you'll use wether its gas electric propane or manual and if your blades are dull you'll use even more fuel that's why I said between 100 and 200 holes off of one bottle but the propane auger fuel consumption is about the same as gas if not better and a lot better then electric hopefully this is more helpful

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #23 on: Feb 14, 2016, 09:57 PM »
i have a suburban and with the gas auger it always got warm and leaked,my wife and kids said it stunk.with the propane auger zero smell. nada.nothing.nothing, the absence of some thing, 0. michio kaku lol run otta gas,pop on a new can and start drillin no fuel mess no priming plus propane supposedly is a higher octane 104 to 112 possibly more power per cubic inch so its win win cheaper than gas win win
GOD BLESS
mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline cweaver

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Feb 18, 2016, 10:36 PM »
just got the Eskimo Hc40 10 inch this year.  <100 holes so far but love the easy start and torque to spare.

Offline PoleJerker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Feb 19, 2016, 09:50 AM »
Jiffy pro 4 here.  Have used for 4 seasons now without a problem.   Would recommend highly.   Always starts on 1 or 2 pulls.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Feb 19, 2016, 10:08 AM »
If I were buying right now it would be a Milwaukee Fuel 18 drill with a Clam plate and a K Drill. But the propane is also a great option.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline keithire2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Feb 19, 2016, 10:11 AM »
I too have the jiffy pro 4. The only issue I have is the weight. It does get a little heavy after a while. Other than that I love it

Offline Knife2sharp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Feb 19, 2016, 10:37 AM »
Both the Jiffy and Eskimo propane augers can be laid down in any position for a short time, but long term they recommend storing them spark plug up.  They don't really say in their owners manuals what long term storage is.  So just to be safe, I always lay them down in their desired position or stand them up.

I had the Jiffy Pro 4 Lite for one year and just got the Eskimo this year. I sold my Jiffy on Craig's list. My primary reason for switching is I wanted a 10" auger and I didn't want to go back to another Jiffy.  Although the chipper blade on the Jiffy's work great, they really throw the water and slush around. Jiffy also stopped selling parts online and Eskimo sells other size augers, if I should want another 8" in the future.  But I have a Nils 8" hand augers, so I doubt I'll want one for my propane auger.

Some people are suggesting an ION.  I thought about them too last year, but my big concern was the battery.  Not only the price for replacement batteries, but can these lithium butteries be stored for 10 months out of the year without ever needing a partial drain and recharge?  I don't want to be thinking about my auger in the middle of summer.  With a propane auger you store it and forget it.  Also, what happens if ION comes up with a brilliant plan to redo the auger several years down the road, or the company goes under?  Now you have to try and search for compatible batteries for your old model or batteries that are no longer being produced.  How many of us have bought off brand power drills and can no longer find batteries for them? That's why my last drill was Dewalt. 
I don't post on IceShanty often, but when I do - #Legendary

Offline Crappie_Rod

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • CRAP EYE
« Reply #29 on: Feb 22, 2016, 08:42 PM »
got the eskimo 8 in propane auger. used it Sat. drilled 30 holes and it worked great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.