Author Topic: spring bobber  (Read 3424 times)

Offline Jeff B

• IceShanty Rookie
spring bobber
« on: Feb 08, 2016, 02:34 PM »
I have been using a Bic lighter springs but this last weekend I made a spring bobber out of 15 lb Big Game line.the line was doubled up with a small loop on the end for then line to go through and i taped the tag ends to the end of a short rod.This thing worked like a charm for awhile and I iced my limit of nice gills.

I am wondering if there is a super light spring bobber out there that will last.The bobber I made worked for awhile like i stated above but after some use the memery in the mono line is gone.I want super light as I will be using 1 pound line with a very small tear drop tipped with one maggot.
:icefish: SPANKIN GILLS and SPECKS :icefish:

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Re: spring bobber
« Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 2016, 02:44 PM »
check out the frabill titanium spring bobber.expensive but adjustable,durable and the best spring bobber out there.imo.the other one I prefer is the do it yourself st. Croix spring bobber.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2016, 03:10 PM »
St. Croix is what I use, adjustable to weight of hook, no memory!!

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2016, 03:15 PM »
Action Tackle makes a wire type spring bobber that works well. You might also want to look at Lite Byte spring bobbers. I have these on a couple of my UL action rods and they are very sensitive.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 2016, 06:22 PM »
frabill titanium wires. not sure why they call them springs. there is no coil on them.
easy to stow and easy to adjust and only one size works most jigs. big loop for easy removal and less freeze up. fleetfarm had some left and on sale.
i tried many, but these are the only ones you'll need.

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=329154.msg3475031#msg3475031

Offline Jeff B

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 09, 2016, 01:35 PM »
got me one of those frabills to try out.Nice and light spring and adjustable too

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Feb 09, 2016, 03:02 PM »
they make a two pack of frabil actual springs indicators in one pack for about 7$. i wouldn't bother with those.
the titanium wires are nice for sure! clam tried making some and they failed and some one else is trying now, but i know what ones work well. and now you do too.

have you been able to use one yet?

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 09, 2016, 04:16 PM »
got me one of those frabills to try out.Nice and light spring and adjustable too

X2. I picked one up at Fleet Farm today for $10.99. Will give it a try in a few days.

Offline Jeff B

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 09, 2016, 05:02 PM »
I have not used it yet but I might go and try it out in the morning,
I paid $14 for the one I have but it was here local.If i like it I will buy 2 more off the net some where and save a few $$green backs$$
sometimes when a guy is wanting something real bad you just have to dig deep in the wallet ;)

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Feb 09, 2016, 07:15 PM »
you can get by with just one. they remove easy and the jig pass's thru the large hole and the large hole is harder to freeze. it retracts fully so it won't break or get in the way at all when stowing them away. it swings around if you don't want to use it on the line for say a heavy spoon.
i use finger nail polish and paint the hole so it's hi vis. i use florescent paint for that.
make sure the rubber mount is up on the tip top guide shaft some so it can't spin around, if it's on a tiny blank.

you can practice/test it with your jigs in the house.
right now the bite is so light and some times they push up on the jig. the added bounce is handy for a few reasons like setting hooks. it helps not set to early. the cadence or movement you get with it is more natural than w/o it.

i'm pretty sure you'll end up with them on every rod.

Offline Jeff B

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Mar 01, 2016, 01:59 PM »
I have used the spring a lot now and I really like it.I have caught a lot of gills and specks using it as well .
I am sure I will have one on each rod by next season

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #11 on: Mar 01, 2016, 02:48 PM »
I won't use a spring bobber in the winter. I just can't seem to get past the irony ...

:tipup:
Lobes

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • STAND FOR THE FLAG, KNEEL FOR THE CROSS
« Reply #12 on: Mar 02, 2016, 06:34 AM »
If you like to make things here's a you tube video how to make a spring bobber with a guitar string.

Offline WiMeatHunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Mar 02, 2016, 09:57 AM »
I like the Frabill Titanium bobbers so much I have them permanently mounted on all my rods. Cut off the rubber, clipped off the ball on the back end and set it for my sensitivity and wrapped them with thread, and sealed it with clear finger nail polish. Never have to worry about them sliding or twisting up anymore.
WiMeatHunter

Offline Minnowhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Mar 02, 2016, 06:30 PM »
I like the Frabil and the Rapala titanium spring bobbers. I really like how Rapalas tighten down on the thinner rod tips.
Confucious say: "Wise man waits till Winter to walk on water!"

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Mar 03, 2016, 10:01 AM »
I like the Frabil and the Rapala titanium spring bobbers. I really like how Rapalas tighten down on the thinner rod tips.
I had trouble with the Rapala titaniums bending.Went back to the St Croix's.

Offline Cantgetenough

• Team IceShanty Regular
Be Safe, Be Smart, Have a Great Time!!!

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Mar 03, 2016, 01:09 PM »
https://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/sgd/5431426753.html
LOL!
that thing is a big ol piece of crap that can't be adjusted for different weights of jig's or lures or pulled for storage and will get kinks and get line wrapped around it and that mount is so cheesy. no way i'd risk burning off my rod tip to put that silly thing on, not to mention there are too many rod tip diameters for one of these to work them all.

i wouldn't use that if he paid me!

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #18 on: Mar 03, 2016, 01:39 PM »
the ol ht crap wire bobbers are better than that.haha.man I agreed with 3300 on something.frabill titanium is the best.bic lighter spring,guitar string bobbers all suck.

Chute82

« Reply #19 on: Mar 03, 2016, 01:39 PM »
LOL!
that thing is a big ol piece of crap that can't be adjusted for different weights of jig's or lures or pulled for storage and will get kinks.

i wouldn't use that if he paid me!

I just googled that product seems like they sell different weight springs not sure if you can easily change them out
I myself prefer the StCroix spring bobber style but to each their own
http://litebytebobber.com

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #20 on: Mar 03, 2016, 01:49 PM »
the diy st  Croix spring bobber is another great strike indicator  is my 2nd choice for a quality bobber.first is the frabill because I can remove it and stick it on another rod easily.i have had my rod lines get tangle all up in the bic lighter spring bobber or the frabill panfish popper bobber so I try to stay away from anything with a coil.ive been buying rods that don't need strike indicators and pretty much ditch the indicators this year because the strike indicators are getting to expensive and I can get a ht ice blue rod for the price of a bobber these days.the only problem is the up bite I get from specks but I can get them by watching the line  go slack.

Offline Jeff B

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Mar 03, 2016, 02:28 PM »
I see the Rapala spring bobbers come in a 2 pack and they are much cheaper.I may buy a 2 pack to try out.

I have never used one of those HT rods with the light tips without a spring on it of any kind.Might be interesting to see how I like fishing with one of those.You figure the HT light tips are as good as a spring?

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #22 on: Mar 03, 2016, 02:44 PM »
I see the Rapala spring bobbers come in a 2 pack and they are much cheaper.I may buy a 2 pack to try out.

I have never used one of those HT rods with the light tips without a spring on it of any kind.Might be interesting to see how I like fishing with one of those.You figure the HT light tips are as good as a spring?
ive been using the 24 to 36"ht ice blues in ultra light and light action this year and haven't missed many fish at all.this is my 1st year ditching the strike indicators and I did very well.i just got sick of paying  the price they charge when you really don't need them the ice build up,tangles.9 bucks for a whole rod or over 9 bucks a strike indicator.im sure there are better rods than ht too.i tried the rapala 2 pack in light action and they were too flimsy even with a 3mm jig.im not looking back and I cant wait for next year. I will be getting better and better at just watching the rod tip and line.

Offline Jeff B

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Mar 03, 2016, 08:44 PM »
I will have to try an ht ice blue next year,the price on them is right.

For now i will just finish out the season with what I have.We will be heading up to Houghton Lake early Saturday morning.A friend of mine is up there now and they have 18" of ice  and it was -8 this morning.Hope we can end the year with a pail full both Saturday and Sunday

Offline rlvb

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The fishie says "Why you looking at me like that?"
« Reply #24 on: Mar 18, 2016, 07:59 PM »
I make some of my spring bobbers out of guitar strings, the thicker ones. They work great!!!
born to fish---forced to work

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.