Author Topic: Bullwhip vs Al Dente?  (Read 994 times)

Offline markinohio

• Team IceShanty Regular
Bullwhip vs Al Dente?
« on: Feb 05, 2016, 01:21 PM »
I’ve been fishing happily with a pair of St.Croix Avid glass rods for the last 2 years, but I want to try a custom noodle rod. If I could change one thing about the St.Croix, it would be the transition from the tip to the backbone. I want there to be less tip. That is, I like the sensitivity of the tip, but I wish that it was a little faster. I’m still probably not using the proper technical jargon (sorry).

I’ve read that on a continuum, it would be the Precision Noodle->Power Noodle->Al Dente (slowest to fastest to the backbone). So, I think that I would be happiest with the Al Dente. But, I have not been able to find a comparison that includes the Bullwhip. And, I’m not sure where the St.Croix would fall among them all.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Bullwhip vs Al Dente?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 09, 2016, 08:35 PM »
I just got a bullwhip and used it last weekend for the first time. I was very impressed. Very nice backbone and it transitions very quickly. I have a TB power noodle and it is a great rod too-it also has an awesome backbone but the transition is longer. Both are great rods. I'd go with the bullwhip though. Quick transition and the tip is super soft. And it's a sensitive rod also.

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Bullwhip vs Al Dente?
« Reply #2 on: Feb 10, 2016, 07:40 AM »
I have the Bullwhip, Precision Noodle and Al Dente, use them all for different purposes

Al Dente - this is the lightest of the 3 with the softest tip (also the thinnest in diameter at the tip). The smallest movement is noticable on the tip. It does have plenty of backbone for a big gill or crappie. I use this with 2lb line and lighter jigs (moon glitter or #12/10 shrimpos) when looking for gills

Precision Noodle - fits right in between the Al Dente and Bullwhip. The tip is not quite as soft as the Al Dente and there is more backbone in this rod. I use this for gills, crappies and perch with 3lb line and tungsten jigs (have landed a 23" walleye in deep water without trouble though)

Bullwhip - this is the heaviest of the three, the tip isnt quite as soft as the Precision Noodle and it transitions to a stronger backbone faster than the Precision Noodle. I use this with 3lb or 4lb line, heavier tungsten jigs or spoons up to 1/16oz

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.