New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Thinking Forward  (Read 750 times)

Offline Gnatter

• IceShanty Rookie
Thinking Forward
« on: Jan 30, 2016, 01:10 AM »
Well, this year is turning out to be a bust as far as safe ice for the majority is concerned. (I accept the howls!).
If the next two weeks don't turn around it will be time to go over the gear for spring run of steelhead and  night fishing for bullhead.
The flies I tied will be accepted by spring crappies and summer sunfish. You can keep the bass.
I do wish we could keep one bass through the ice during the winter, at least on the Great Lakes bays. There is no shortage of bass. A one per daily limit of one good minimum size (say 16 inches) and a maximum size ( say 22 inches) would not hurt the fishery at all. For the past five years, the biggest bass I have caught were through the ice. I have always wondered how good they might taste. I am an honorable man, and have seen their passage back through he ice.
Is there anyone else willing to see a compromise with the 'legal' season and the 'ice' season?

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Thinking Forward
« Reply #1 on: Jan 30, 2016, 03:25 AM »
Two schools of thought there Gnatter.

1) The regs as they are have contributed to a fine bass fishery in our area. It's not broke....don't fix it!

2) There's  an abundance of bass. Taking a few writhin slot limits wouldn't hurt the population and they are especially tasty from cold winter waters.

I'm of the second school of thought. It certainly hasn't hurt the Finger Lakes.

Rg

"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline fishbone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 30, 2016, 03:50 AM »
i think the regs are fine the way they are----its nice to fish thru the seasons---makes you look forward to the upcoming seasons---the regs are too liberal now

Offline Big Ice Hole

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 30, 2016, 08:09 AM »
I think we should be able to keep a couple small ones (12" - 13") and leave the larger ones for breakers.
Born to fish, Forced to work.

Offline MeatHunter737

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • GutPileStyle
« Reply #4 on: Jan 30, 2016, 05:54 PM »
Just run the damn season similar to walleye... close it from mid March till mid june.... done.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Jan 30, 2016, 05:59 PM »
i  fish  Oswego harbor  and  lake  Ontario a lot  for  small mouths   and  it is the  most underfished  fishery in  NYS ..... it  wouldn't  hurt to let a  few  people keep a  few  fish threw the  ice ... i  don't  see many people  keeping them in the  summer  anyways

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Jan 30, 2016, 07:44 PM »
WHAT....
You want people to keep bass?    ;D ;D   
I could see a season on the great lakes and the finger lakes but it would hurt small waters..
There just another invasive species..      ::)
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline Gillpill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All I need is a big Bull gill and Im set
« Reply #7 on: Jan 30, 2016, 07:56 PM »
Thats why i fish Honeoye. Slob gills and too many bass that are fun to fight and i can still keep them until March 15th. I like when people tell me bass dont taste good, ok then more for me hahaha
That's a Bluegill, no that's a Sunfish...I've heard it both ways!!

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Jan 31, 2016, 04:43 AM »
taste just like good Tilapia ...mmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmm good ............... :roflmao:

actually I  don't like catching bass ,I can't sell them

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Jan 31, 2016, 05:13 AM »
Conesus lake always provides me with a few largemouth during the winter.

Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Jan 31, 2016, 08:42 AM »
Caught some nice smallies yesterday... ;D

Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.