The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Tobyhanna Lake  (Read 2132 times)

Offline Buck1971

• IceShanty Rookie
Tobyhanna Lake
« on: Jan 29, 2016, 12:10 PM »
Hello All:

I am a brand new member of Ice Shanty although I have looked at the website over the years from time to time.  I no longer live in the Poconos, but did for many years.  I was fortunate to have a few private lakes to ice fish in the winter months for many years, but I no longer do.  I was wondering if anyone has been fishing Tobyhanna Lake with any success?  I will be likely be making the 2 hr trip north tomorrow to try it out.  I generally fish for trout, but I will be happy to have my 10 year old son catch anything through the ice.  I plan to get minnows, wax worms, and possibly power bait if the trout have been hitting of late.  Any information on the lake or how the fishing has been would be greatly appreciated.  I think I have to make 5 posts to get access to lake reports or something like that.  Thanks for having me on the site......

Offline Drillin-n-Chillin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Tobyhanna Lake
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2016, 12:47 PM »
Buck, I used to fish this lake a lot years ago. If things haven't changed much there should be plenty of pickerel to catch on tip ups. Should keep your 10 year old busy running down flags. We used to fish out from the boat launch in 4-7 feet (estimate) of water. Some perch and occasional trout jigging.

Offline Buck1971

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 29, 2016, 12:52 PM »
Drillin-N-Chillin:

Thanks Man.  Pickerel are great, provide lots of action. 

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 29, 2016, 12:59 PM »
I'm heading up tomorrow, but haven't the decided on a spot yet. Have a private lake I can access so that may be the first stop at least to check ice and make the call to stay or move on. Good luck, bring lots of shiners

Offline Brianm14

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 29, 2016, 01:21 PM »
if you need bait  check out JC bait and tackle in gouldsboro!  great little shop in his basement..  real quality shiners!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 29, 2016, 01:50 PM »
Brian, do you have an address? I used to always load up at whoerleys (I know I spelled that wrong) but they close in winter.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Jan 29, 2016, 02:25 PM »
JC's is at 508 Main Street (Route 507) Gouldsboro Pa 18424 and his phone number is 570-842-7812.  He has great bait and a nice guy.  You can't miss it, he has a decent sized sign in front of his house and is about 1/2 way between the firehouse and the post office which is next to the train tracks.

Offline Brianm14

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 29, 2016, 03:31 PM »
Yep what chris said.. sign out from .. hes right before you get to a church i believe.. any question about the lake where to fish etc he can help!  great guy with a nice little selection in his basement!

Offline saphireblue99

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 29, 2016, 05:28 PM »
GONNA GO UP WITH MY SON ON SUNDAY, LIKE TO FISH THE DAM AREA OUT ABOUT 30-40 YARDS WEST OF SPILLWAY ON THE LAKE, DEEP CHANNEL AND DEEPEST PART OF THE LAKE 8-10FT, BUT IT GETS SHALLOW AND WEEDY FAST, THEY USUALLY HAVE LATE SEASON TROUT STOCKINGS BUT IT IS ALWAYS HIT AND MISS CATCHING THEM. IF THE BITE IS ON YOU WILL NEED ALOT OF MINNOWS FOR THE PICKEREL BUT THEY ARE GOOD ACTION, SOME BIG BASS THERE BUT A TON OF WEEDS WHICH YOU WILL FIND OUT.IF YOU GO OFF THE BOAT LAUNCH TO YOUR LEFT AROUND THE BEND IS A NICE NARROW CHANNEL PRETTY CLOSE TO SHORE, ABOUT 20 FEET FROM IT, HAD SOME GOOD BASS ACTION THERE IN THE PAST.THE GOULDSBORO FIRE CO. USED TO HAVE A TOURNEY THERE A FEW YEARS BACK WHEN GOULDSBORO LAKE WAS DRAINED, ONE YEAR 100 GUYS FISHING AND ONLY 1 LEGAL 15 INCH BASS CAUGHT, ANOTHER YEAR 2-5"S AND A 6 POUNDER PULLED OUT.

Offline Icemole

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 29, 2016, 05:56 PM »
 There is a lake map for Toby - click maps
  http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/findapark/tobyhanna/index.htm

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.