The ice fishing North Dakota board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Would like to fish somewhere in South Dakota  (Read 2063 times)

Offline jigbounce

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • got any biscuits for sale in there?
Would like to fish somewhere in South Dakota
« on: Jan 29, 2006, 07:34 PM »
Hi guys I am from western Nebraska and would like to find some ice to fish on in your great state. As of right now there is no fishable ice here :'(.  I would like to fish for Walleye, Crappie or Perch and was wondering if anybody could suggest a couple lakes that might be worth taking a couple of days to fish on.  Thanks for any help you can give me :)!

Offline hawgerdawger

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Would like to fish somewhere in South Dakota
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2006, 08:18 PM »
I know your predicament, Jigbounce! Not sure what part of South Dakota you have in mind, but my brother and I drove to the Black Hills today and fished Stockade Lake near Custer. The wind was a bugger, but the trip was a pretty good experience -- it was just great to find some hardwater. Had about a foot of ice, which was definitely plenty for my new hand auger.

Be warned though, you might be best off to purchase your license over the Internet beforehand. The state's computer system was down, and the Common Cents store in Custer -- which is the town's only license vendor on Sunday mornings -- had no paper back-ups. Had to drive 12 miles to Hill City to get our licenses from a store that did have the forms.

After the license fiasco, we were able to fish for only about four hours. Scored only two perch -- nine and 10 inches. There were several sleds and shantys on the lake, but I didn't notice anybody else catching much.

"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley." --Unknown

Offline majormaj

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • They just call me Major.
« Reply #2 on: Jan 29, 2006, 09:05 PM »
If you want to come to eastern SD, just shoot me a PM and I can give you a whole list of options.  It's quite a bit further than the Black Hills if you want to make the drive.

Offline jigbounce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 29, 2006, 10:35 PM »
I pm'ed ya majormaj. 

Hawgerdawger,  I hear ya, I bet it was nice just to walk on water again!   Thanks for the heads up on the license deal too. 

Offline majormaj

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • They just call me Major.
« Reply #4 on: Jan 31, 2006, 06:34 PM »
Hey I finally got a reply back to ya.  Let me know if you have any other questions, good luck too.

Offline percherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 08, 2006, 05:14 PM »
Hi guys I am from western Nebraska and would like to find some ice to fish on in your great state. As of right now there is no fishable ice here :'(.  I would like to fish for Walleye, Crappie or Perch and was wondering if anybody could suggest a couple lakes that might be worth taking a couple of days to fish on.  Thanks for any help you can give me :)!

Offline percherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 08, 2006, 05:26 PM »
Sorry, my bad!! I have had success at pickerel on perch smallies and a few walleyes.
A few guys that were fishing a rock structure on the island not far from me had a great time catching crappie in the morning using glow genz & grubs. Get a map from sdgfp find the sunken islands and fish transition water between. Hope this helps.

Good Luck. Keep your eye on your own bobber.

Offline jigbounce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 09, 2006, 11:51 AM »
thanks perchman for the update, that sounds like the type of fishing I would love to find.  I'm hoping to make it up there in the next two weeks.

Offline percherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 09, 2006, 04:58 PM »
I have to miss the action this weekend but, I will be making the long haul up north for a four dayer next thurs. This weekend is going to be H#&*!!! I will probably need to be seen by my shrink by monday because by sunday I will be sitting in the garage, alone in my shack mumbling something about why the fishing sucks. Wow' I'm already getting owly, I had better go kick the dog! Just kidding!!!!!  Let me know when your making your way. Maybe we can swap info?

Offline Kodiakman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Start everyday as if it has a purpose.
« Reply #9 on: Nov 15, 2006, 04:40 AM »
No Ice yet but give me a yell after Thanksgiving sometime.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.