Author Topic: What is the value of a used hummingbird 55? Have opportunity to buy  (Read 1402 times)

Offline tlzkaasen

• IceShanty Rookie
Hi..

A friend needs to sell a hummingbird 55. Few years old - no charging cable. What's a fair price? Not a screw job, but fair

ThAnks
Alva Lake in Harshaw, WI (15 minutes to Rhinelander, Tomahawk and Minocqua)

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
if you can get half of retail for used your doing good on any thing used. many only will pay 25%.

it cost 500 new with a charger and a fresh battery. so 200 to 250 would be fair, but i wouldn't want it for free. junky flashers. i have one now i wish i hadn't bought!

Offline Tackle

• Team IceShanty Regular
They're gong for $350 around here. 45's are 250-300, 35's are 200. Used prices.
See you on the ice!

Offline tlzkaasen

• IceShanty Rookie
Thanks for the responses.  I've got the unit and plan to test it this weekend.  I'm also sorry to hear it's "junky" 3300.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
yep they are. i went 100% digital and won't be looking back except here talking about them. also the outrageous repair bill they hand you to fix their junk is just plain crazy! and they do a poor job at repairing. i wrote about it plenty here already and i don't want to hijack your post.

why's your friend selling his?

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
Sounds like you already bought it, I was going to say $300-$350 would be fair if it's in excellent condition with a case and everything. You can buy a float charger for $15 or so, don't get a trickle charger, you want one that charges and then turns off when it's at 100%. Battery Tender Jr is a good one, I use a Schumaker.

Offline tlzkaasen

• IceShanty Rookie
yep they are. i went 100% digital and won't be looking back except here talking about them. also the outrageous repair bill they hand you to fix their junk is just plain crazy! and they do a poor job at repairing. i wrote about it plenty here already and i don't want to hijack your post.

why's your friend selling his?

He passed away. His widow is looking sell a few things.  I was considering purchasing for my son. I use a Lowrance ice machine which I'm not sold on either.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
if your trying to help her out, you would be.

i own one and it was a very bad experience once it went bad. lasted about 5 years and the motor fried. hb wants 180$ to try to fix it. the worst problem with them is they tell you they fix any thing the tech can find that huge amount of money. they tell you if he miss's any thing let them know because you get a 90 day warranty with it. i got it back and the power know was bad and you have to push in or out or wiggle it to make it even come on all of the way. i told them and sent it back again on my dime, they sent it back saying  no changes were made. so it's still broke. also the digital center display always would freak out and the info disappears and come back on all of the time. i told them about that not being fixed when it was there the second time. they sent it back broken for that issue also. that later problem is common with them and they have no fix for it. they sold it that way and was always a lemon for that issue and i t pissed me off from day one and giving them a chance to make right and they wouldn't was the icing on the cake. also, the on/off decoder switch they use was found, but you have to buy in lots of 1000 or more from the manufacturer and hb refuses to sell parts and refuses to fix their junk!

maybe some think 180$ plus your cost to ship is ok, but it's not and worse yet is how BAD they are at fixing their own things after paying WAY TOO MUCH MONEY to have it fixed right and they don't. so what do you do after your 700$ into an ice-55 that hb had twice to fix and promised it would be? you try to help the ones that will be in my shoes one day and steer them away. at least that's what i do.
take that 700$ and spend it on a better company who does stand behind their product and does it at a reasonable cost.

so you want to help a lady and that's really nice and it would help your son and that's great too. i just want you to know what you may be in for is all and i recommend not buying any thing humminbird, buy an old tech. vex. give yours to your son and buy yourself some thing much newer in design and try a 100% digital sonar is my recommendation. i know your not asking for it and i am just helping you out.

if you have lots of money give some to her and then buy a good sonar. the hb will work, it is loud, i would tilt it all of the time to try to get it quiet for even a few minutes was a welcomed relief and the lights are bright, i would have to tilt it down at night they aren't so bright and it does what it says it will while it lasts except for the center display wigging out all of the time and power knobs not working right most of the time. i fish almost every day for long hours and that thing gave me ocular migraines from the lights flashing brightly all of the time.
there are much better options tho. i know i went thru it already.

so if you give the lady 350$ and it lasts say 2 more years (who knows how long it may last tho) and you want it fixed. it will be 550$ then. and it will still be an old analog sonar with limited info it can display and maybe not functioning at 100% after getting it back like mine. they way you use these things is to remove the swim noodle and hang the transducer all of the way under the ice. it does come with the swim noodle, but many complain and just go w/o because of it. it likes to freeze to the side of the ice hole too. there's only one company who out thought that way of using sonars. they use an arm and the transducer stays up high out of the way to land fish.

otherwise take a look at showdown or lx6 or lx7 or lx9 to use digital ice fishing sonars. not open water sonars with ice transducers added later like many are doing. the lx6 and up is also for open water, but is built first for ice and open water secondly, not the other way around. they all use the arm and are digital and meant for ice. you can get the showdown for what the hb may be worth at marcums site and sign up to get 10% off. i can pm you deals on the others for 15% off if you want. many are going this route now instead.

i'm not trying to confuse you and wanted you to know what i know so you can make a better decision. i hope some of this helps. you asked what is the value of the ice55, to me the value is nil. there is no value in it.

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
He passed away. His widow is looking sell a few things. 
This says it all... not like the guy is looking to hock it for blow. Yea the unit sells new for $500. Used, without charger, I'd offer $250 - $275.
It must be something in the water.

Offline tlzkaasen

• IceShanty Rookie
Thanks again for the responses. I'm going to just put it on Craigslist for 225 for her.  It's not the unit we really we want - works fine, but rather a vex after using several of these side by side yesterday.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
great idea! thanks for helping her like that.
it would be mostly charity if you bought it for your self.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.