Author Topic: Nils vs finn bore  (Read 1833 times)

Offline Adkrs

• Team IceShanty Addict
Nils vs finn bore
« on: Jan 19, 2016, 09:10 PM »
Considering selling my lithium lazer to help fund a flasher purchase. It's been great but I want something lighter.

I've really come to like the 8" holes. So I'm considering a nils or Finn bore in 8". What's your experience with these? If they're truly that much harder to drill with then I'll drop to 6". Can't figure out if the Finn uses strikemaster blades or not. Which would be cheaper to resharpen. But if the nils last longer then that would end up cheaper.

I had 6" lazer hand auger in the past and that seemed to cut holes fine. Can't imagine 8" would be terrible.
Beer will get you through times of no ice better than ice will get you through times of no beer...

Offline The Busdriver

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Nils vs finn bore
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2016, 09:18 PM »
I am unfamiliar with the Finn bore but have an 8" Lazer as well as the 8" Nils and the Nils is effortless to use and eats through the ice. I'd go with the Nils.

Offline Dirt_Guru

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2016, 11:30 PM »
Finn bore uses the same blades as the laser. Only difference its offset handles which makes a huge difference.

Offline OldCaveman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2016, 07:21 PM »
  I have a 8" Finbore and I love it. It cuts like a dream and I'm no youngster but don't pull out the power auger until the ice is a foot plus thick. I like being to carry a spare set of blades in my pack basket just in case. Good luck with whatever you choose.
John

Offline littlehead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2016, 06:49 PM »
Hands down nils cut faster than my buddies gas auger

Offline willisdotcom

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 23, 2016, 08:44 PM »
With the new blades and nils converted offset handle on my 7 inch laser i drilled a hole today faster than my friends jiffy gas auger did and was effortless.

Offline Flint

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 25, 2016, 12:53 PM »
I went finbore because blades are less expensive and probably easier to get. Doubt you could go wrong either way.

Offline reddot

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 25, 2016, 08:16 PM »
I have both.  6" finbore and 6" Nils.  Both are awesome.  Nils is slightly smoother and quicker, however you really need to be careful with the blades.  Any slight bump or debris in ice will dull then and re-sharpening is expensive.  I would still go Nils!!

Offline Adkrs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 25, 2016, 08:29 PM »
You guys arnt making it any easier  ??? ;D that's a good thing I suppose
Beer will get you through times of no ice better than ice will get you through times of no beer...

Offline GBR

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 26, 2016, 02:27 PM »
I don't have experience with the 8", but I have a 6" Fin Bore and my brother has a 6" nils. we can both drill faster than 1" per second. I like the fin bore because of the replaceable blades. The nils is taller, so it might be better if you are dealing with really thick ice.

Offline dabills

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 15, 2016, 08:07 AM »
I have 8" fin bore. I went with it because it has replaceable blades that can be picked up anywhere and sharpened for $11 locally. The nils has a removable head I believe? A little more involved and you wouldn't necessarily want to carry a spare on the ice. A couple extra blades in my backpack weighs nothing. The fun bore cuts great but last year it got a little tedious with closer to two feet of ice sooooo this year I got a converter for $15 for my milwaukee 18v fuel and it is great so far.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #11 on: Feb 15, 2016, 02:07 PM »
I have drilled them both side by side. Go with the Fine-Bor, no real difference in cutting...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.