Author Topic: Help!!!  (Read 1348 times)

Offline cofish

• IceShanty Rookie
Help!!!
« on: Jan 17, 2016, 05:36 PM »
Im new to the area and am looking to get on some panfish! Are there any places to catch panfish in the southern Denver area where I don't have to pay? Anything helps

Offline Sawtooth

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Help!!!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2016, 09:25 AM »
Sorry, cofish.  All the crickets on here for topics like yours is pretty common.  I wish I knew where to go.  I'd PM you and set up a trip.  I only do high mountain trout.
There is no such thing as bad weather - only bad clothing.

Offline mtnhillbilly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2016, 09:58 AM »
I think it's funny how people are protective of panfish! Growing up when the bass weren't biting we'd have a competition to see who could catch the most and considered them a way to kill time till the evening bite! Seriously like its a prized fish? Cmon help the man out! Those things breed like rabbits and ya need a thousand of them for a meal!  Sorry I don't get it? To each his own but c'mon really help him out

Offline fishslap

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2016, 10:39 AM »
I think it's funny how people are protective of panfish! Growing up when the bass weren't biting we'd have a competition to see who could catch the most and considered them a way to kill time till the evening bite! Seriously like its a prized fish? Cmon help the man out! Those things breed like rabbits and ya need a thousand of them for a meal!  Sorry I don't get it? To each his own but c'mon really help him out

What body of water did you catch them out of growing up?

Offline mtnhillbilly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2016, 12:56 PM »
I grew up in NY farm country the pond was called Dewitt for the gravel and cement company that owned the surrounding land! And several farm ponds that never had a name but I could draw you a map if you're interested😁 I'm not really interested in fishing for panfish in Denver I'm allergic to the traffic ! But if you want info on mountain lakes for salmonids just pm me and I have ill help best i can

Offline iceholez

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2016, 02:25 PM »
I grew up in NY farm country the pond was called Dewitt for the gravel and cement company that owned the surrounding land! And several farm ponds that never had a name but I could draw you a map if you're interested😁

Hey mtn,

I grew up in Massena, NY.  Most of my family lives in Buffalo and a few aunts in East Syracuse.  I know those waters all to well.  Can be good fishing at times but wouldn't trade it for the world class trout streams we have here in Colorado!

All Im trying to find some good metro fishing myself.  The most consistent pan fishing I have done so far on the ice would have to be Chatty ponds. All of them are fishing well.
Fish, Eat, Sleep, Fish, Eat, Sleep.

Offline mtnhillbilly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2016, 06:17 PM »
Iceholz
I'm from Fredonia 20 min from buffalo😀 and yes the trout out here have been awesome picked up a fly rod in 95 in fr Collins when I moved here and slayed trout daily living in gunnison

Cofish
 I guess it's not south Denver but I've looked at banner lakes and think it may be good! Itching for some pike supposed to be some there as well? But I haven't really thought too hard about driving east for ice? Maybe I should since I'm nursing a bad cold !andnim off the next 2 days if I do I will report back I need to run some errands for my business so I have to deal with the traffic anyway

Offline cofish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 18, 2016, 06:54 PM »
Iceholz
I'm from Fredonia 20 min from buffalo😀 and yes the trout out here have been awesome picked up a fly rod in 95 in fr Collins when I moved here and slayed trout daily living in gunnison

Cofish
 I guess it's not south Denver but I've looked at banner lakes and think it may be good! Itching for some pike supposed to be some there as well? But I haven't really thought too hard about driving east for ice? Maybe I should since I'm nursing a bad cold !andnim off the next 2 days if I do I will report back I need to run some errands for my business so I have to deal with the traffic anyway

Sounds good hope you have some luck!

Offline fishslap

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 18, 2016, 07:38 PM »
Iceholz

Cofish

Fishing is prohibited at Banner until the last day of regular waterfowl season.  I think that includes dark goose season which ends on 2/14.  Very popular waterfowl hunting destination.  The ponds were also hit hard by drought several years ago.  I think there is one pond with some pike left but not sure.  A few others have some carp and bullheads left.  I went out a few times a couple years ago with the fly rod and didn't get a single hit.  Good luck if you go.  Public front range waters that are productive for non-trout species, that get good ice, and are legal to ice fish, and are within an hour or two are very difficult to find.  If you do find some, let us all know so we can hit it too.

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 18, 2016, 08:39 PM »
Seems like 40 out of 50 customers that come in the store, ask the same thing.  The other 10 are on their way to Nebraska, or Kansas to fish for limits.  So its either travel or go without.  And you surely know what happens to any water that gets "Hot Spotted" it becomes elbow room only.
Bud

Offline wkirklandco

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 19, 2016, 12:45 AM »
Im new to the area and am looking to get on some panfish! Are there any places to catch panfish in the southern Denver area where I don't have to pay? Anything helps

cofish,
For local lakes, you could try Cherry Creek or Chatfield if there's any ice left on them. A couple of weeks ago I was slamming crappie, blue gills and perch, but haven't been out in about two weeks. Weather has turned warm, so I'm not even sure if there's still ice on them. Bear Creek can hold some perch, but I've heard the water level is down, so I'm not sure if the fishing is any good anymore, especially after the flood a couple years back. Boyd holds some pretty good fish, but has probably been hit pretty hard. Sorry I can't think of more right now, but most of the panfish lakes I fish are on the front range and ice is probably getting thin.

Good luck!

Offline A0fisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 19, 2016, 10:38 AM »
Seems like 40 out of 50 customers that come in the store, ask the same thing.  The other 10 are on their way to Nebraska, or Kansas to fish for limits.  So its either travel or go without.  And you surely know what happens to any water that gets "Hot Spotted" it becomes elbow room only.

Ha!  I don't believe I have ever been to your store.  10 out of 50 seems like a high ratio.  BTW, limits are not guaranteed in Nebraska and kansas...  People I saw were catching anywhere from 0 to about 12 fish a day this weekend.  A lot of sad dogs went home disappointed, including myself.   ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.