Author Topic: Two-wheeled "sled"  (Read 3069 times)

Offline glenwyo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Two-wheeled "sled"
« on: Jan 16, 2016, 04:34 PM »
I was out ice fishing last week and I saw someone dragging a cart, with two wheels on it, onto the lake. It looked like maybe a game cart with a plastic sled or box mounted to it. There was a couple of inches of snow on the ice. I don't plan on trying this (I will soon have a smitty sled) but was wondering if anyone has ever pulled a wheeled cart onto the ice? Seems like it might be okay with an inch or two of snow but maybe difficult with more snow. 

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
Re: Two-wheeled "sled"
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2016, 04:47 PM »

It might depend on the diameter of the wheels, if it had bicycle tires on it, it might pull pretty good!

IW

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2016, 04:48 PM »
My buddy and I got our hands on an undercarraige from a baby carraige and used it to pull our sled fromthe parking lot to the edge of the lake.  It saved the bottom of the sled from severe scraping on pavement/rocks before hitting the ice.  Works fine as long as no deep snow.

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2016, 05:19 PM »
I used to use a garden cart with bicycle style wheels. It worked great as long as the snow was less than 4 inches.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline CHEPIGUY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • gimme back that fillet o fish
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2016, 05:32 PM »
I'm looking to design a cart/sled that the wheels fold up or down. i would use a sled and mount wheels to the  the would pivot down for the parking lot then pivot up for the sled to be used. Thinking push lawnmower  wheels. Anyone have any thoughts on this configuration
Chepi

Offline metalbender

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2016, 06:38 PM »
I'm thinking a wheel of at least 12 in dia. would roll better on rough surfaces. Also a two point  mounted handle at the side of the tub.  A bottom pivot and upper lock pin. Pushing the rig might be easier than pulling.  Would be an easy addition to a sled, of course it depends on ability and tools at hand. 

Offline Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2016, 05:46 AM »
I used to use a garden cart with bicycle style wheels. It worked great as long as the snow was less than 4 inches.

I saw a guy a couple years ago using the same style cart. He sat on the open end and carried all his gear with room to spare. looked like a great idea.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Jan 17, 2016, 06:03 AM »
Kayak cart .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #8 on: Jan 17, 2016, 07:03 AM »
             Was it a Troy Built cart?

IW

Offline Nightbird

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 17, 2016, 10:15 AM »
What I see is a Smitty sled with bicycle wheel- type brackets added to one of the cross-pieces. Would perform as a take-down sled or cart, as needed. At -33C (-27F) this morning, I'm not going to be digging through my scrap pile for the materials today, but I have the wheels and will be trying this.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #10 on: Jan 17, 2016, 10:19 AM »
I should have brought out the old bicycle kid ride in trailer and hauled my stuff in it the other day instead of pulling sled on the gravel road...
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline jiignut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 18, 2016, 10:21 AM »
I made a trailer for my flip-over and pulled it with a mt. bike with studded tires. A no/low snow year, it got me 1/2 mile onto a nice lake that had a gated paved road to it. then right out onto the ice. The ridged pvc hitch even kept the bike standing when i got off.
Who can i send a picture too to post on here for me?

Offline Ericbres

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Mar 15, 2016, 07:21 AM »
Going to piggy-back on here rather than starting a new thread for the same topic ...

Along the same lines of a two-wheeled "sled", I see most folks talking about thinner bike-style tires. Any reason why rounder trailer-style tires won't work with an inch or two snow on the ice?

I found a guy selling a trailer for a yard tractor for cheap on Craigslist and was going to pick it up to pull behind my ATV for ice fishing. Am I wasting my time? Or opening myself up for frustration?

I'll keep my Jetsled for days when there is heavier snow, but liked the idea of this cart because it'll hold alot more than my sled would.

Offline gearheart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Mar 15, 2016, 04:44 PM »
Behind an ATV, no problem. Pulling by hand the narrower tires displace less snow and are for that reason less work to pull.

Offline Ericbres

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Mar 16, 2016, 07:35 AM »
Ah, that makes sense. Thanks for the reply.

Offline straightShot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Mar 17, 2016, 04:51 PM »
I'm looking to design a cart/sled that the wheels fold up or down. i would use a sled and mount wheels to the  the would pivot down for the parking lot then pivot up for the sled to be used. Thinking push lawnmower  wheels. Anyone have any thoughts on this configuration

That's what I have.

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
« Reply #16 on: Mar 17, 2016, 06:09 PM »
Mines a four-wheeled Smitty style:

The wheels are removable via a cotter pin, and the axles slide out.    It breaks down to fit into my old Corolla with the back seat down.

><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #17 on: Mar 18, 2016, 11:25 AM »

Rhino/Otter have a nice one I've been considering.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.