The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: portable ice shanties  (Read 3441 times)

Offline addictedangler

• Team IceShanty Regular
portable ice shanties
« on: Jan 13, 2016, 02:20 PM »
 At 61 yrs old I still like to ice fish but like the cold a little less then years ago. I have used a jet sled for I guess 25 plus years and have got my money out of it so I guess a portable ice shanty is what I may get for next year. Any advice and opinions are welcome. I am looking at the bottom line priced ones that flip because I like to jig and move.

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: portable ice shanties
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2016, 02:34 PM »
When I think bottom line one-man flip, I think Shappell FX100.  Non insulated, but better than nothing.
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline delawareriver

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2016, 02:37 PM »
Believe it's the kenaii model from clam, my buddy has it and loves it. Think it's the cheapest model they offer buy still provides plenty of room and for Pennsylvania it is plenty warm.

Offline TAP66

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2016, 03:07 PM »
Frabil Recruit 1250 is about 51 lbs and is insulated.  It also has 16.5 sq. ft. of fishing area. It also has a boat seat in it.  You can get it for $398.00 and free shipping on Amazon which is big savings vs. buying it through the big sporting goods stores.  Frabil also makes a Recon 100 that weighs only 40 lbs but is not insulated and only has 8.5 fishable sq. ft.  I have a clam portage 2 man but it is alot heavier but has a geat price point if you ship it to Gander Mtn.  I would probably go with the recruit.  Best bang for the buck in a one man.
I don't mind if you sit next to me as long as you are a fisherman who cares about the resource.

Offline Ice Junkie 76

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2016, 03:17 PM »
Cabela's has the FX100 on sale for 219.00 right now. It has a thicker canvas than most of the lower priced models.

Offline addictedangler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2016, 09:16 PM »
 Thanks for the recommendations. I will have to check them out in person. Not looking for anything great just something to keep wind out and my little propane heater  in to warm my hands. Mobility is important.

Offline ClayBird John

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 13, 2016, 10:34 PM »
I went with a Eskimo Quick Flip. Now just need some good ice

Offline gillicer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 13, 2016, 10:38 PM »
i have the kenai for half a dozen years now the new versions have a door my doesn't  it has a nice deep tub easy to heat;i put ski on mine for easy pulling in Northwest pa snows

Offline gillicer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 13, 2016, 10:40 PM »
also the kenai is only 50 lbs

Offline walleyekeeper570

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 14, 2016, 05:48 PM »
If I wanted to be mobile and get out of the wind I would buy a Shappell FX50 Windbreak.  I have a Clam, it's too dang heavy to load and unload.  I use my windbreak 90% of the time because it is easier to move around and getting out of the wind is half the battle.    Put a pair of downhill skii's on the bottom and you can ride on top of the snow with your gear loaded.   The FX50 weighs 27 lbs and cost $131 at Sportsman's Guide.  $146 and free ship from Amazon.

Offline stormtrooper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 15, 2016, 01:48 AM »
I built a sled shack with wood a poly tarp from plans and it costed 50$. It worked great for years. The problem with those shacks is that they are heavy. Even in a flat lake with snow it's s pita to pull. They're great on bare ice just make sure you wear cleats cause when the sun comes out you'll get nowhere without them. If your fishing on lakes with close access likd a boat ramp and there's no snow the shacks can be fun. A lot of places with long wooded trails it's just not what you want. Last year I bought a suit from IDI gear and it is warm. I just find as soon as we get any amount of snow anything but a light toboggan is a pain. Buy a 400$ suit instead of shack. I have to say it's easier to fish in a shack out of the wind. That's the only plus side IMO.

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 15, 2016, 03:57 AM »
The frabil recruit is 62lbs.the clam scout is 38lbs at 6'1 my head rubbed sometimes.i usually use the clam kenai 50lbs but more head room

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 15, 2016, 04:15 AM »
check out the frabill recon well made & light to pull I have it my recon is about 32 to 35 pounds with out the seat I made for it.... if I use the lawn chair they gave with it which is about 32# it weights about 45# with the seat I made for it basically a welded frame so I can use a pedestal boat seat.. the newer model come with the seat like the frabill recon dlx sold at gander mtn... mine is high up and my head rubs the top of the shanty...  but it better then leg cramps from sitting in the lawn chair low to the ground.. it is a tad narrow just a heads up at 32 inches for the tarp and 28 inches aprox for the sled base plenty of room to jig with one pole in... for heaters I use my colemen sport cat which puts out 1500 btus and use a led fog lamp for the lighting.... instead of a lantern if I use my north star lantern in it I would go belly up from the co and being poisoned by it...that 3000 btu little buddy heater is a tad to big for it just a heads up .... by the way if getting a new shanty look at shappell bay runner or fx150, or even eskimo's  one man flips like the quick flip and the wide one inferno... the eskimo shanties are about the same as what I got in the frabill as in about the same size... there is only three brands I ever liked and clams not one of them cause  of light duty aluminum poles and thin tarps and bad zippers.. look at the fold over mechanism the part that pivots so it flips eskimo and frabill are almost the same and made well if parts are needed... now shappell is riveted together and makes me think if I own this sled for a long time if that breaks how am I going to fix it? but for sure one of the better one out there.. but for sure try to sit in them if you can...     

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 15, 2016, 03:33 PM »
Frabbil recon is 40 lbs.how tall are you addictedangler? I would be concerned with the 57"height of the recon if you are a 6 footer.but that is a cheap shelter

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 15, 2016, 07:33 PM »
I am 6 foot 4 inches tall 440 and fit just fine in the recon... it is snug but for the price and the weight of it it's worth it... or find some thing similar the thing about the recon is on -10 degree days my breath alone heats the shanty up that why I run such a small heater at night...  my head does just barely clear the bars just a heads up and I put in a custom seat that's taller then the dlx models seat....

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 15, 2016, 08:04 PM »
I am 6 foot 4 inches tall 440 and fit just fine in the recon... it is snug but for the price and the weight of it it's worth it... or find some thing similar the thing about the recon is on -10 degree days my breath alone heats the shanty up that why I run such a small heater at night...  my head does just barely clear the bars just a heads up and I put in a custom seat that's taller then the dlx models seat....
you don't sit in that shelter you were that shelter ;D

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 16, 2016, 12:37 AM »
you don't sit in that shelter you were that shelter ;D

lol's

Offline chumster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 16, 2016, 08:15 AM »
I like my Eskimo wide one. Plenty of room for me, and all my equipment that I carry. I have a Smitty sled under it and can pull it with one finger at times.

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 16, 2016, 08:21 AM »
I thought the wide one looked good ,but I was concerned with the front end acting up sitting in like slush and freezing.no problems?

Offline boatman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 16, 2016, 10:00 AM »
Premos double bull hunting blind.

Offline Levispop

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 16, 2016, 12:28 PM »
I've had a kenai for three years, works out fine, just built a smitty sled am hoping to got out next week

Offline charger7022

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 16, 2016, 12:50 PM »
My buddy has a Shappell bay runner. its a pretty cool lil one man setup than can be puller from spot to spot without having to pack everything up. heres a link. http://www.shappell.com/iceshelters/bayrunnersledcabin.html

Offline chumster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 17, 2016, 06:52 AM »
That shanty looks like it would take off with a good breeze. Does it have anchor holds?

Offline chukkrok

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 17, 2016, 07:11 AM »
I have the shappell 1.5dx, and really like it.. I would check out the fx100, and if it is big enough for ya, I wouldn't hesistate to purchase it...the fx50 is just a windbreak, which  IMO, doesn't quite cut it... I mean if your gonna buy something, go ahead and get one that can keep you outta the harsh conditions... You will never regret that !  my 1.5dx gets kinda heavy at times.. (dragging across non frozen surfaces, and deeper snow), but the fx100 is smaller and isn't as heavy...As I get older, I can see myself looking to goto the fx100, and as long as I can get my equipment in the sled. 

Offline charger7022

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 17, 2016, 08:15 AM »
That shanty looks like it would take off with a good breeze. Does it have anchor holds?
    Not sure chumster but im sure you could pick up a couple lag bolts and tie it down fairly easy. I should be going out this weekend with my buddy so ill check it out and if I remember ill post back. When I first saw it I doubted it 2 but for a one man setup its pretty sweet. I like how you can just close up your holes and move on in seconds.

Offline charger7022

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 17, 2016, 08:59 AM »
here is a picture of my buddies bay runner its not the best cause it was in the background and I had to blow up the picture, and don't worry that bass was released safely back into the water. 

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 17, 2016, 07:31 PM »
bass pro has the shanties said here on clearance so does cabelas just a heads up... I seen the frabill recon for $175 on sale and a few other sales...

Offline after-4

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Jan 17, 2016, 09:09 PM »
It must be the 60s thing. Getting soft at 67. Bought a Kenia early this year. That's why no ice this yr. Going to try it out tomorrow. Put led lights in it ,had loads of time to fool with it after extended archery. Will let you know how it is.

Offline after-4

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Jan 18, 2016, 07:50 PM »
Little breezy today at TOBY. Probably one of the coldest days I have been out in all my years. The Kenia did what I was expecting.thank god the first thing I put a anchor on the line. Caught a few using the shorter poles I switched to and worked fine. Hope we don't get all the snow they are calling for. Don't think the ice will take all that weight although it is making it pretty good rate now.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #29 on: Jan 19, 2016, 03:07 AM »
I don't know where you're from but if you are near Hamlin, Wayne County, they had a deal on a new Shapell flip over for less than $250.00.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.