Author Topic: Zeden Lake  (Read 4624 times)

Offline Namaycusher

• IceShanty Rookie
Zeden Lake
« on: Jan 12, 2016, 09:40 PM »
Anyone ever fish this lake? We were out on Monday, froze our asses off but managed to take out 3 limits of perch. All little guys but was fun to catch. We were in approx 28 feet of water right off the boat launch. Just wondering if anyone knows where the trout hang out or where the slightly smaller perch hang out? Planning on heading out again in a couple weeks.

Just a heads up we did find some very dangerous ice just to the left of the boat launch.

Offline anglerbrian

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fun n Games Til Someone loses a Walleye
Re: Zenon Lake
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2016, 09:19 AM »
Was it Zenon or Zeden. Zeden lake in the narrow Hills has Rainbow Brown and Tiger trout as well as a healthy perch population.
Old fishermen never die, they just smell that way.

Offline Namaycusher

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Zenon Lake
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2016, 12:16 PM »
Zeden. Sorry autocorrect problem

Offline canada

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Zeden Lake
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2016, 09:49 PM »
good luck on the trout.   lake full of tiny perch

Offline sidescan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2016, 05:51 AM »
 I have been flyfishing Zeden  for trout for years, was good at times . As Canada said used to be a good trout lake, Perch got in and the last couple years is over run with small Perch. Trout seem to be getting hard to find.Sad to see such a good trout lake in decline because of some brainless angler used live Perch for bait gobbing. Fish safe.

Offline SaskWatch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2016, 11:16 AM »
Are you sure the perch were transplanted? If they were an invasive species wouldn't Zeden be open during April as a stocked water? Instead SERM closes it to all fishing during April. One would think that if the perch weren't natural and SERM didn't want them there they would allow fishing in April in the hopes that the perch numbers would take a hit. Instead they seem to be protecting the perch by shutting down the fishing.

Offline sandman66

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2016, 01:50 PM »
SERM doesn't stock lakes with perch that they have also stocked with trout. Just another lake some idiot ruined by dumping perch in.

Offline sk_oiler_fan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 23, 2016, 08:42 PM »
Used to catch trout to the right of the boat launch and about half way to Bosco camp. That was before the perch were in the lake.

Offline fuzzy39

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 23, 2016, 10:29 PM »
I have talked to a CO about that lake and in fact it was SERM that put the perch there. They had a truck full of perch destined for another lake and accidentally it was put into Zeden.... really crappy mistake for us that flyfish for trout in the Narrow Hills as it really had been a nice lake. I gues it is nice for little kids though trying to get some fish on the line:)

Offline jahmz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 24, 2016, 02:29 AM »
Can you drive from the highway to the boat launch in a vehicle, or is a snow machine required?

Offline Namaycusher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 24, 2016, 08:00 AM »
Will let you know. Heading out today!

Offline Instro.Mental

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 25, 2016, 09:27 PM »
any luck?!

Offline Namaycusher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 25, 2016, 09:46 PM »
any luck?!

Brought a bunch if first timers out to catch perch. Ended up with 184 perch. All tiny littlw guys. But fishing too deep to release them, not trout action whatsoever. Couple people tried for trout and didnt see any.

Best part of the day was everyone managed to catch fish and some first timers enjoyed it very much!

Offline Instro.Mental

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 25, 2016, 10:14 PM »
any keepers? I'm running out of perch lakes around Pa and need to start adventuring further.

small bodies of water anyway. hit Round, Eagle, Brieux and Jumping so far this year.

Offline Namaycusher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 25, 2016, 10:36 PM »
Nothing over 6 inches. We kept some for a fish fry but didnt get much for meat. Finding any perch in those lake?

Offline Namaycusher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 25, 2016, 10:40 PM »
Can you drive from the highway to the boat launch in a vehicle, or is a snow machine required?
road plowed right to the lake. Trucks on the lake. Dont drive to the left of the boat launch. Some slush there. But 18-24 inches of ice.

Offline LOTALOTA

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 26, 2016, 08:21 AM »
Instro have you ever tried fish lake (blue Heron) north of Canwood?  been a few years but perch in that lake

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 26, 2016, 03:30 PM »
 heard fish lake used to be quite good even 4-5 years ago but suffered pretty bad winterkill the last two winters.

Offline Instro.Mental

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 26, 2016, 11:07 PM »
Nothing over 6 inches. We kept some for a fish fry but didnt get much for meat. Finding any perch in those lake?

just at Eagle, we only managed one but the shack next to us put some keepers on the ice.

as for Round, I used to fish that lake all the time and it was awesome for perch but it winter killed in 2012-13 I think.. went back for the first time this year and only got one jack (first tracks on the hard water). water seemed to be a lot higher so I was unsure on where to be fishing.

Jumping had nothing, supposedly it is more for walleye but a lot of shrimp in there so its more of a summer lake. (again we were the first tracks on I could see, got stuck twice getting in, and I've never been stuck in my truck - driver error though, not the trucks fault haha)

and we found nothing at St.Bruix. might try again but it seems to be one of those "summer lakes".

I still haven't given up on Round, it was stocked with adults summer of 2014, and I don't think it winter killed last winter, so there has to be at least some there.

We also tried Fish/Blue Heron way back, maybe 7-8 years during the summer and didn't have much luck so never went back, but it might be worth a shot again.

I think my next lake will be Weyakwin.

Offline Duddridge

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 28, 2016, 08:12 AM »
They are still dumping a lot of trout into Zeden so maybe it will be good for trout again soon. 10500 Browns and 5000 rainbows in 2014, 11500 Tiger last year.

Offline slipbobber61

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 28, 2016, 06:48 PM »
just at Eagle, we only managed one but the shack next to us put some keepers on the ice.

as for Round, I used to fish that lake all the time and it was awesome for perch but it winter killed in 2012-13 I think.. went back for the first time this year and only got one jack (first tracks on the hard water). water seemed to be a lot higher so I was unsure on where to be fishing.

Jumping had nothing, supposedly it is more for walleye but a lot of shrimp in there so its more of a summer lake. (again we were the first tracks on I could see, got stuck twice getting in, and I've never been stuck in my truck - driver error though, not the trucks fault haha)

and we found nothing at St.Bruix. might try again but it seems to be one of those "summer lakes".

I still haven't given up on Round, it was stocked with adults summer of 2014, and I don't think it winter killed last winter, so there has to be at least some there.

We also tried Fish/Blue Heron way back, maybe 7-8 years during the summer and didn't have much luck so never went back, but it might be worth a shot again.

I think my next lake will be Weyakwin.

Jumping Lake. Forgot about that lake over the years. Never fished it thru the ice but the walleye bite was awesome in the summer. 

Offline jahmz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 28, 2016, 07:28 PM »
road plowed right to the lake. Trucks on the lake. Dont drive to the left of the boat launch. Some slush there. But 18-24 inches of ice.
Thanks Walleye. Can leave the sled at home now if I so choose.  :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.