The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Best walleye lakes  (Read 4764 times)

Offline Ridge runner

• IceShanty Rookie
Best walleye lakes
« on: Jan 12, 2016, 05:35 AM »
I been ice fishing for 3 years now and I caught about every fish through the ice but a walleye, therefore this year my goal is to catch a walleye through the ice. I live real close to keystone state park, twin lakes, and loyalhannah area. I Was wondering if anyone knows of good lakes close to there to catch walleyes through the ice. I have tried green lick many times even all night but still no luck. So any one got any places they have had good luck at, if you could tell me the lake and the general area or water depth it would be greatly appreciated, thanks ridge runner. Good luck to all

Offline delawareriver

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Best walleye lakes
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2016, 07:31 AM »
No clue about that side of the state but there is wealth of information on the fish commissions website, I use it all the time to search stocking history of lakes as well as the biologist surveys of the lakes. Really helps pin pointing which lakes you will have the best success for numbers as well trophy fish. Once you do your homework then it's putting time on the ice learning about the lakes youre targeting. Every lake is different so different depths and lure selections can vary lake to lake

Offline Fishbones'

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Listen to Slayer.
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2016, 07:47 AM »
Your best bet is probably to drive up to Pymy...but still not an easy task, icing eyes in PA.  Better off flying out to MN!!

Offline Ridge runner

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2016, 08:19 AM »
Ok thanks for the advice. Looking at the biologist reports now, does anyone have any experience on Somerset lake for walleye. Reports saying they caught 77 walleye with 90% of them legal size. I am thinking that's not a bad number for the size of the lake only being 252 acre. Also looking at the report for yellow creek there was 26 walleye on the report, I know that's low but anyone ever get a walleye through the ice there. Yellow creek is my favorite to ice fish, I usual go down by the dam and get crappie and pike. I talked to a lot of people out there never heard of them getting walleyes. Just wondering if anyone has, if so where at on the lake if you don't mind me asking.

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2016, 08:31 AM »
Not many lakes give up eyes. Pymy is your best bet,I've had luck in past years with blade baits in deep water. NY has a lot of good lakes. Best is Ohio,lake Erie but can't see that this year. Plus none are close to you.

Offline delawareriver

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2016, 08:35 AM »
77 eyes on a survey in that size water body is definitely a good population, I've done best in transition areas from deep to shallow at first or last light, or shallow in the middle of the night. My two biggest eyes the last two seasons at 26" and 28" came from 4fow but were from a river not a lake but shows how shallow they will go at sometimes.

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2016, 08:54 AM »
I've got all my eyes late evening or shortly after dark.   I set up early on a flat close to deeper water.  As was mentioned, They will get into some skinny water looking for food so don't be afraid to set a couple tip-ups in 3-5 fow.

Can't help you with the lakes you mentioned as I've never fished them.  But look for humps, depressions, weeds, some sort of feature /cover.   

If fishing after dark the use of tip-up lights is recommended.   :tipup:

Offline Ridge runner

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2016, 09:18 AM »
I got tip ups with alarms and lights for this ice season so the night bite should be easy to fish with tip ups for me, thanks to Santa clause

Offline nut9863

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 12, 2016, 09:35 AM »
I've never fished there but i've heard some good things about Glendale Lake. try archiving lakes for walleyes. that may help.
the early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline fishon814

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 12, 2016, 09:45 AM »
Ok thanks for the advice. Looking at the biologist reports now, does anyone have any experience on Somerset lake for walleye. Reports saying they caught 77 walleye with 90% of them legal size. I am thinking that's not a bad number for the size of the lake only being 252 acre. Also looking at the report for yellow creek there was 26 walleye on the report, I know that's low but anyone ever get a walleye through the ice there. Yellow creek is my favorite to ice fish, I usual go down by the dam and get crappie and pike. I talked to a lot of people out there never heard of them getting walleyes. Just wondering if anyone has, if so where at on the lake if you don't mind me asking.

Offline fishon814

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 12, 2016, 09:51 AM »
What was the date on the biologist report for Somerset lake? It was an awesome walleye fishery in the past but is currently at about half water capacity waiting to raise money for breast repairs. I fished yellow creek alot last year but wasn't able to ice any eyes. Deep creek maryland used to be a great producer in the past!

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #11 on: Jan 12, 2016, 09:56 AM »
ive heard kinzoo is a good place to ice eyes? if there was access id recommend the yough dam wilkins hollow is a great bay to fish.if you can get into the fraternity at moraine there is a decent population of eyes although if i give info im sure someone will bite my head off >:( well deep water is key with shallow bays attached also deep water structure is key, a good lake map invaluable, ride the hwy or the rails?to jig up some eyes
GOD BLESS
mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #12 on: Jan 12, 2016, 10:04 AM »
ive heard kinzoo is a good place to ice eyes? if there was access id recommend the yough dam wilkins hollow is a great bay to fish.if you can get into the fraternity at moraine there is a decent population of eyes although if i give info im sure someone will bite my head off >:( well deep water is key with shallow bays attached also deep water structure is key, a good lake map invaluable, ride the hwy or the rails?to jig up some eyes
GOD BLESS
mo
i forgot one place its pymy south end find humps and jig sonars/vibees
GOD BLESS
mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline Ridge runner

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 12, 2016, 10:09 AM »
The date on Somerset lake is May 2011. Is that before they lowered the lake? Never fished it before.
I was thinking about going to deep creek, go there in the summer with the boat and got a few. But I don't have a Maryland license that's what stopping me I guess. How good is the fishing down there? Since I would have to drive awhile and buy another license I would want it to be worth while. In the summer when I am done there I usually get my walleyes on the corners of coves and main body where there is a pretty good depth change. Would they still be there once it ices up?

Offline fishon814

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 12, 2016, 10:23 AM »
Typically the fishing is grest there. Last year seemed like a down year but I was fishing local lakes more. Behind the arrowhead gas station was always a favorite spot. But yes 2011 was probably before they lowered lake Somerset. Used to produce alot of pike and musky also. The weather pattern so far this year might make for more ice in pa than md but nicklows bait shop is located on the way to deep creek to get your lisence and any bait you'll need as well as ice and fishing info for lakes down that way

Offline JustTheTip?

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 12, 2016, 11:29 AM »
I've never fished there but i've heard some good things about Glendale Lake. try archiving lakes for walleyes. that may help.

Tough to catch but they're definitely in Glendale.  We target the coves for them and have had luck in Wyerough, Killbuck, and Mudlick..mostly in 5 - 10 FOW and on shiners a foot or so off the bottom.  I've heard Slate is another area where guys find them but have never really fished that side.  First thing in the morning and after dark in the evening has been the most productive.  Would love to fish the night shift specifically for them more often, but I live in Maryland these days so getting back home to ice fish more than a day or 2 a year is tough.  G'luck - hopefully we get some ice this year up there.

"Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You have to set yourself on fire."

Offline Spaceman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 12, 2016, 11:49 AM »
I know it's not PA but deep creek lake in western Maryland has been good to me in the past for eyes at night using tipups mainly.  We fish at night inn3-5 feet of water in the coves.  Minnows about a foot off the bottom has been the best for us. Only been down 4 times so far and caught eyes everytime. Seems the later in the season is the best for them. It's a very windy lake though and can be brutally cold.  Our best night ever two of us caught 7 in about 3 hours with many more missed. Did I mention it was -7 with NO wind. Lol.  Had issues with tip ups freezing up. Also this lake can produce some monster perch. Hope this helps. 

Offline JK

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • retired fish N Pa.to New York
« Reply #17 on: Jan 12, 2016, 02:09 PM »
The last two are excellent BUT FISH the early ice everything else is good info.  To catch them you have to fish form for them, don't get bored and go sunnie fishing.  I use a lot of metal and hang bait on the barbs-hint.....jk

Offline ducksnbucks36

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 12, 2016, 02:32 PM »
Smh some people 

Offline cmwrestler2008

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 12, 2016, 03:47 PM »
The past couple years we finally started catching walleye through the ice and I would have to say port Clinton is your best bet for big walleye but I doubt there will be safe ice this year.  Kinzu bite is ok, you have to be on the ice and have flags set before first light.  You get an hour or so of a flurry then its dead till dark, and I have not had any success yet on pymi but I know they are in there cause we catch them on the boat

Offline JustTheTip?

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 12, 2016, 04:25 PM »
I know it's not PA but deep creek lake in western Maryland has been good to me in the past for eyes at night using tipups mainly.  We fish at night inn3-5 feet of water in the coves.  Minnows about a foot off the bottom has been the best for us. Only been down 4 times so far and caught eyes everytime. Seems the later in the season is the best for them. It's a very windy lake though and can be brutally cold.  Our best night ever two of us caught 7 in about 3 hours with many more missed. Did I mention it was -7 with NO wind. Lol.  Had issues with tip ups freezing up. Also this lake can produce some monster perch. Hope this helps.

I've also heard good things about this place and have seen some nice pics of the eyes and perch they get into.  It's definitely on my to do list now that I'm a full time MD resident - just need some ice!!
"Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You have to set yourself on fire."

Offline beerduck

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • beer and fish nut
« Reply #21 on: Jan 12, 2016, 04:52 PM »
I looked at somerset also a few years back on pfbc biologist reports  so decided to give it a try beyond my best judgement   only caught crappies at night my rule of thumb is is not to walleye fish lakes with a mass number of shad which I saw that someset has for 1 its not a bait I use for 2 fish slow down in the winter so if the have plenty  of food your minnow is a needle in a haystack.  I catch a number of eyes  through the ice and its always when people are coming on the lake in the am and when they are  leaving into dark im also using pagers and while sleeping get woke up to them for eyes at all hours of the night full moons tend to suck for me on bites  I use strike sensor pagers just a helpful tip you need to use lithium 9vs  they hold up to the cold but they are  expensive  alkaline doesn't  you will get flags and not know it other than seeing a light good luck

Offline ducksnbucks36

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 12, 2016, 07:39 PM »
Not to hijack the thread but Looked at the map for deep creek, and that lakes kinda intimidating with the size and number of coves with it.  Then the depth map (don't know if it's right or not) was ridiculous deep, but did see a few places to hit without knowing any info on the lake.  Also read it seems like it's a pretty vegatative heavy lake.  I may be taking a trip to Maryland this year instead of Ohio trips

Offline TritonVT17

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 12, 2016, 10:04 PM »
Heard a lot of good stories about kinzua

Offline ClayBird John

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 13, 2016, 12:51 AM »
Lake Carey has some nice eye's but wrong side of the state.

Offline doublelung76

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 13, 2016, 06:14 PM »
i agee with capt54 pymy has a good population off eyes.i catchem on open water while musky fishin,some hogs too

Offline Slabslayer17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 14, 2016, 07:45 AM »
Just save your money and go to port Clinton. Pa sucks

Offline ducksnbucks36

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Jan 14, 2016, 08:17 AM »
Just save your money and go to port Clinton. Pa sucks

I'll second that ^

Offline Ridge runner

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 14, 2016, 08:29 AM »
Thanks for all the ideas guys I will be sure to try them out if we ever get some good ice.

But what about Erie? Instead of going to port Clinton since I don't have an Ohio fishing license? Also if I was to go to Erie or port Clinton were do you go that is such a big lake? Any help with location for that lake Erie would be great, I would love to make a weekend trip up there but don't know where to go.

Offline delawareriver

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Jan 14, 2016, 10:58 AM »
If you wanted to hit port clinton park at one of the public launches and follow the 1000 other guys out, if you don't have a wheeler or snow mobile you can use a airboat for a taxi, lot of good information out there where and how to fish. Definitely worth a trip if it freezes this year. Days with limits of fish with the smallest fish being 8-9 lbs with 11-12lb fish common. Few lucky guys pull out 14-15 lbers every year

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.