The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Dealing with Condensation in a Shelter  (Read 5077 times)

Offline Ice-n-Snow

• Team IceShanty Regular
Dealing with Condensation in a Shelter
« on: Jan 10, 2016, 09:18 AM »
I recently acquired a portable shelter and heater.  The primary goal is to keep things more comfortable and interesting for the wife and kids. 

Yesterday we used both for the first time.   A lot of condensation built up on the interior of the shelter.  The shelter was nearly as wet as it would have been if I left it out in the rain, only all the moisture was on the inside. 

I can foresee all kinds of problems if this isn't managed - mold, rotting fabric, rust, frozen parts, etc.  Today I'll be bringing the shelter in the house and putting it near the furnace to dry it out.

Is this typical?  Are there ways to manage or prevent condensation build up?  Will I be bringing this thing inside to dry after every time I use it?

Thanks for the help.

Offline thefishingweatherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Dealing with Condensation in a Shelter
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2016, 09:31 AM »
The amount of condensation largely depends of 3 factors. Temperature outside, relative humidity outside, and how many people you have in the shelter. Short of airing it out periodically, or leaving the door cracked, there's probably not much you can do about it on those days where it's moist. Bigger shelters have less of an issue though.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2016, 09:35 AM »
I agree with all of the above post ...propane heater will add to moisture ...keep it well ventilated ...could wipe it down from time to time ...only real cure is an insulated shelter ..another IS member mentioned putting a tarp atop your shelter ...the math is it creates a barrier/air pocket ..
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline flagfishon

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • You should have seen it! It was huge!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2016, 09:47 AM »
I set mine up in the basement every time I come home to dry out,  This year I bought a can of Camp Dry to treat the fabric. I haven't tried it yet, but it is supposed to help with the moisture buildup.  I'm also looking at a fan like this one from FishUSA(http://www.fishusa.com/product/Clam-LED-Fan-Light-Combo?utm_source=google_ps&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google_ps&gclid=Cj0KEQiAn8i0BRDur-HV1PCTy4UBEiQAPuFr9FUpq_n6470Muo1mXB7VCLb9oDIlwOKR9THHG5bIttgaAmPc8P8HAQ).

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2016, 01:04 PM »
 ??? Would you tell us what you have for shelter and heater?
Dick

Offline Ice-n-Snow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2016, 01:08 PM »
I have an Eskimo Quickfish 3 and a Mr. Heater Buddy. 

Offline Troutmagnet

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2016, 10:04 PM »
I set mine up in the basement every time I come home to dry out,  This year I bought a can of Camp Dry to treat the fabric. I haven't tried it yet, but it is supposed to help with the moisture buildup.  I'm also looking at a fan like this one from FishUSA(http://www.fishusa.com/product/Clam-LED-Fan-Light-Combo?utm_source=google_ps&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google_ps&gclid=Cj0KEQiAn8i0BRDur-HV1PCTy4UBEiQAPuFr9FUpq_n6470Muo1mXB7VCLb9oDIlwOKR9THHG5bIttgaAmPc8P8HAQ).

Are you going to spray the inside face of the fabric???

Offline flagfishon

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • You should have seen it! It was huge!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 10, 2016, 11:15 PM »
Yeah.  I'm going to start with the inside and if there is anything left I'll do the outside as well.  I'll try to remember to post my results.

Offline tracker one

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • if you ain't gonna eat em,throw em back
« Reply #8 on: Jan 11, 2016, 06:10 AM »
if you are going to spray it, do it in a warm area where you won't have to smell the fumes, and then let it dry for a couple of days or it will make you sick when you fish in it

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #9 on: Jan 11, 2016, 09:10 AM »
Don't forget the propane discharge a pile of moisture, unless they're direct vent.
That's why on my hard side I run wood heat.
Portable you just to deal with it.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline Crayfish2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 11, 2016, 09:26 AM »
There isn't much you can do about the moisture on the inside when running a heater.  I set mine up in the basement after every trip to let it dry out.  Unless it's brutally cold, I tend to leave a door at least cracked open to get a little air circulation.  The little air vents in my Clam don't let much air in.

Offline Redneck Fishfinder

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 11, 2016, 09:34 AM »
I just keep a rag around for the moisture because propane heaters generate a lot of moisture. I run the heater on low to slow the buildup of condensation.

Offline LukeB

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 11, 2016, 09:59 AM »
Too late now, but when I was looking for a new one I went with insulated to get rid of the condensation.

Offline tracker one

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • if you ain't gonna eat em,throw em back
« Reply #13 on: Jan 11, 2016, 04:17 PM »
do the insulated ones stop the moisture from collecting on the inside

Offline Ice-n-Snow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 11, 2016, 04:26 PM »
Thanks for the thoughts and suggestions.  I can see that keeping this thing in decent condition is going to be a bit of a task.  Its set up in my basement to dry right now.  Wife isn't thrilled but the kids seem to like playing in it.   

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 11, 2016, 04:36 PM »
Put a tarp on top. Don't block any vents or windows.  The camp dry does nothing already tried it.  Trust me go with the tarp, I use a 6x6 tarp on my Q3 and the roof stays dry.  The walls will still get wet but that's really no big deal.
I was born an Alaskan I just didn't live here at the time.

Offline LukeB

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 11, 2016, 04:37 PM »
Yeah they keep condensation from accumulating on the inside.

Offline Troutmagnet

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 11, 2016, 08:14 PM »
Put a tarp on top. Don't block any vents or windows.  The camp dry does nothing already tried it.  Trust me go with the tarp, I use a 6x6 tarp on my Q3 and the roof stays dry.  The walls will still get wet but that's really no big deal.
Will definitely bring a tarp with me next time I set up my Eskimo Fat fish. Thanks for the feedback on using camp dry.

Offline potatoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 11, 2016, 08:20 PM »
I just tried both, one flip over had insulated top only. Had condensation like crazy on the sides.

Just tried a full thermal and no condensation but the walls do feel wet.

I set it up in garage and use a fan to dry it out when done

I have heard that running a small fan inside shelter will help when fishing, have not tried that yet

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.