The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Pumpkinseed Mount  (Read 3377 times)

Offline perch bait

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lil' Crayfish
Pumpkinseed Mount
« on: Jan 10, 2016, 07:52 AM »
Got my 10 inch Pumpkinseed back from Doug, "The Fish Man", and I really like it. He obviously put a lot of hard work into it because it looks great and has a lot of detail. I would definitely recommend Doug to anyone that is looking for a great deal on their next fish mount. My Dad and I visited several different taxidermists until we found Doug and really liked his style and detail. I can't wait to catch another monster fish so that I can bring to him and get it mounted.
Perch bait- a small minnow that can have big results in the ice fishing game.  :icefish:
My Blog: https://jacobcrawford8.wixsite.com/pboutdooradventure

Offline 1023ice

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Pumpkinseed Mount
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2016, 09:20 AM »
Ok.... A bit of sarcasm? doug usually does real nice work... Bad photo maybe? Well nice fish !

Offline thefishingweatherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2016, 09:28 AM »
Yeah looks like a bad photo? Or did you spill paint on it? Cool to see a sunny mounted. Would be pretty cool to mount like 4 or 5 yellow perch around a log or stump.

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2016, 09:51 AM »
Did you use the same camera for both photos?

Offline JMailbox8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2016, 09:53 AM »
Kinda looks like a bronze statue. Maybe it's the lighting?

I've seen a really cool mount with 3 or 4 brookies around a piece of structure.

Offline perch bait

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lil' Crayfish
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2016, 11:49 AM »
I guess you guys are right. The photo does look weird and really doesn't do the craftsmanship of this piece justice. I truly do think it's a beautiful mount and I love it. That's why I have decided to remove the pictures and just leave the post as what I have written. I might try to take a picture of it in a different lighting, but that would mean that I would have to take it off of the wall!!  :)

Perch bait- a small minnow that can have big results in the ice fishing game.  :icefish:

Offline perch bait

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lil' Crayfish
« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2016, 11:55 AM »
Yeah looks like a bad photo? Or did you spill paint on it? Cool to see a sunny mounted. Would be pretty cool to mount like 4 or 5 yellow perch around a log or stump.
Yeah that would be cool, maybe I'll go up to Carmi or Caspian and try to catch some Whopper Perch to add to the Panfish display.

Offline spb802

• IceShanty Rookie
  • If it's cold I'm on the hard water...
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2016, 09:11 AM »
Doug does a really good job. He mounted both my northern and crappie for me and both came out beautiful and are now living on my living room wall. Hopefully we get ice back soon so I'll get the chance to catch something worth mounting you never know.....
My passion for fishing and hunting, I owe to my Father and Uncle Art. RIP Art Rye, I will cherish all the days on the hard water we spent together and all the days in the woods. Miss you...

Offline Crayfish2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 11, 2016, 09:21 AM »
I can vouch for the quality of this mount that Perchbait is talking about.  It came out really nice and looks pretty much exactly as it did alive.  PB pulled the pictures before I could see them, so I'm not sure what everyone else saw.  It's a unique mount, too, since I don't believe I've ever seen a 'seed mounted before.   And I've never caught a 10" 'seed before, either ... that was a whopper!

PB, we'll have to try taking some pics in natural light instead of the with the flash.  Maybe that will work better.

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #9 on: Jan 11, 2016, 09:23 AM »
Does he do replica mounts or skin mounts?
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline Crayfish2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 11, 2016, 09:27 AM »
He does all skin mounts.  Not sure if even does replicas since I didn't see any in his shop.

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 11, 2016, 01:33 PM »
 ??? ::)  perchbait?  Is it possible that you picked it up before he finished final paint job?   Looks like one of mine before it was painted?
Dick

Offline troutcrazy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 11, 2016, 08:09 PM »
No, it just had reflections from the flash making it look funny.  I saw the original photo.
I'd love to see a photo of it without the flash!

Offline Crayfish2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 12, 2016, 11:08 AM »
We'll try to get pics of it outside.  It really is a cool mount and looks just like it did when it was alive.

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 12, 2016, 11:36 AM »
Hey PB, it's your mount and your opinion that counts...if you like it then that's all that matters...no one else's opinion matters.
BTW, nice catch & mount I say!!!

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 12, 2016, 11:44 AM »
awesome fish colors on it are great

Offline JMailbox8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 12, 2016, 12:59 PM »
I agree with mudchuck. I think it would be sweet to have a mount like that on my wall. Sorry if my previous comment sounded like criticism, it was just a comment on the lighting. Taking pictures indoors is always a challenge if you are trying to get authenticity in color. Looking forward to seeing another picture of it. Congrats on the trophy. I know a small lake nearby that easily holds several state record sized bluegill if you are interested in giving it a try.

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 12, 2016, 03:10 PM »
PB  Can't wait to see the new photo.  That's the biggest pumkinseed I've ever seen.
Dick

Offline 1023ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 12, 2016, 06:13 PM »
Very glad to here it was a bad photo... And not the quality of Doug's work that I have enjoyed over the years

Offline LnmanRI

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 12, 2016, 07:16 PM »
Congratulations nice fish !!

Offline Crayfish2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 13, 2016, 10:02 AM »
PB  Can't wait to see the new photo.  That's the biggest pumkinseed I've ever seen.
Dick

You're right, Dick ... biggest I've ever seen, too.  Doug Y also said he'd never seen anything like it and wondered why we didn't submit it for the state records.  We looked it up and it would have been something like the #5 or #6 'seed on the books.  We probably should have entered it, but it sounded like quite a hassle with finding certified scales, having guys from the state inspect it, etc, etc.  If he ever catches something like that again we'll have to go through the process to get it entered.

Shaun

Offline JMailbox8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 13, 2016, 11:02 AM »
The scales at your local grocery store deli are certified scales. I would imagine the post office has certified scales too. The person at the counter can be a witness.

Offline Icemanvt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 13, 2016, 12:02 PM »
Doug Y does great work! he did 2 browns for me with smelt coming out of their mouths! Male/female combo. He had never done anything like that before but it is very unique!
FLAG!!

Offline JMailbox8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 13, 2016, 12:11 PM »
Doug Y does great work! he did 2 browns for me with smelt coming out of their mouths! Male/female combo. He had never done anything like that before but it is very unique!

Cool, post a picture of that one if you can.

Offline fishy1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Jan 14, 2016, 04:48 AM »
perch bait here is the twin to your pumpkinseed . hopefully the pic posts. i released this one back to the water seconds after snapping a pic. left click on the top of the left side for a full pic.

Offline perch bait

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lil' Crayfish
« Reply #25 on: Jan 14, 2016, 06:32 AM »
perch bait here is the twin to your pumpkinseed . hopefully the pic posts. i released this one back to the water seconds after snapping a pic. left click on the top of the left side for a full pic.
They do look suspiciously similar, don't they. My pumpkinseed even has the deformity of one of her pectoral fins, it's just on the Right instead of the Left.
Cool picture and congrats on the whopper. I'm not sure if I will ever land a 10 inch pumpkinseed again in my fishing career, but I will definitley give it a try!

Offline fishy1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Jan 14, 2016, 06:00 PM »
you will your a avid fisherman at a young age and there is bigger out there. keep on fishing perch bait and tight lines. your father mentioned to me a week or so ago that i might get to meet you and dad on champlain sometime. go get them.

Offline Icemanvt

• Team IceShanty Regular
FLAG!!

Offline Icemanvt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 15, 2016, 10:32 AM »
Picture really does not do much justice. If i was to do anything different it would be the smelt in the mouth of the top one. kind of takes away the hook jaw
FLAG!!

Offline Crayfish2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Jan 15, 2016, 11:26 AM »
Pic didn't work, Iceman.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.