The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: BREAK OFFS?  (Read 1291 times)

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
BREAK OFFS?
« on: Jan 08, 2016, 09:25 AM »
sorry to rehash an old subject but florocarbon aint cuttin it. well it it is cuttin it and thats the problem.so i found online a alternative from afw BLOOD RED STEEL LEADERS,any one use them with success? for toothy critters it really dont matter they would hit anything its the other species that are leader shy? any thoughts?will let you know how they work?
GOD BLESS
mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline delawareriver

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: BREAK OFFS?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2016, 09:46 AM »
What lb flouro you been using? Type of hook? What toothys in your waters? What else you targeting?

Offline clayboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2016, 10:15 AM »
jaws/macko/ tuna/   perch

Offline Snapper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2016, 10:23 AM »
I've not ran tip-ups in YEARS there are others who will have better advice than I do.  I'd think a good 20 pound Floro with a circle hook would be the key.  You may want to check out a good braid as well.  There are so many options out there with braided lines heck you can by a special braid for flipping these days they have it all.  Steel leader have came a long way too.  Went running tip-up in the past they cause me more problem than they fixed.       

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2016, 11:04 AM »
What lb flouro you been using? Type of hook? What toothys in your waters? What else you targeting?
30#florocarbon 45#gudebrod dacron main line with a size 6 treble hook red,as fo toothy critters muskie northern pike and walleyes.targeting everything that swims,found out pike taste better than walleyes so want to harvest them.
GOD BLESS
mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline Snapper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 08, 2016, 12:26 PM »
There you go again rocking the boat. Pike what?  I think a circle hook would degrease at least a percentage of your break offs due to the hook sets you get from them.   

Offline delawareriver

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 08, 2016, 01:21 PM »
30#florocarbon 45#gudebrod dacron main line with a size 6 treble hook red,as fo toothy critters muskie northern pike and walleyes.targeting everything that swims,found out pike taste better than walleyes so want to harvest them.
GOD BLESS
mo

Really you are having bite offs on 30lb? Well if you are mostly interested in catching pike then go with a good quality steel leader. But it will decrease the amount of bass, walleye, trout you catch.

I use 12lb flouro when fishing our typical lakes with bass, trout, walleye, perch, pickerel etc. Once jn awhile i have a pickerel bite me off but i dont mind retying for better chances at the other species. If I'm targeting pike or muskie i I step up to 30-50lb flouro leaders or wire leaders. Have yet to have a pike or muskie bite though the flouro

Offline jarhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 08, 2016, 01:53 PM »
MO,
Gunny here you gotta quit eating them bass your losing your taste for good fish Pike is something u eat when your starving to death better than walleye!!!!!!!!!! A mrs pauls fish stick left over and microwaved tastes better than pike!!!!!!

Offline delawareriver

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 08, 2016, 02:03 PM »
I think pike taste very good buy I'm not picky when it comes to fish. I just dont keep them because they are a pain to clean

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 08, 2016, 02:29 PM »
you should very seldom break 30lb floro mo,were is it breaking off at the hook?you have to be very carefull tying the knot I have a glass of water handy and dip it in there and slow and carefull tie the knot.than I give it a good test.when I use steel my bites go down .so the rare bite off still is worth it for allot more bites

Offline jiggly McWiggler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 08, 2016, 02:39 PM »
Work more with ur jigging stick and set the hook on the bite.  I can usually get big pickerel in with a tiny spoon because I got em lip hooked. And that's on 4 lb mono.
compliments of ..... the world famous traveling  jiggly McWiggler ice fishing extravaganza!

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 08, 2016, 02:41 PM »
I think he is talking about tipups

Offline jiggly McWiggler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 08, 2016, 02:48 PM »
I know. That's  why I recommended  jigging a little more.
compliments of ..... the world famous traveling  jiggly McWiggler ice fishing extravaganza!

Offline jiggly McWiggler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 08, 2016, 02:51 PM »
Plus. If you do catch toothy critters on mono or flouro. Inspect your line for Knicks and stuff. Even on a missed hook set with a tip up he might have nicked your line

icewagon

« Reply #14 on: Jan 08, 2016, 03:13 PM »
Southbend in-visa leader nothing can bite it off nothing can break it off its very thin and almost invisible in the water.

Offline richinpa

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 08, 2016, 07:55 PM »
Du-bro Musky/pike wire leader kit. Check it out on the cabelas site. I make my own for flatheads and blue fish. You can also make trout spinners. It's not for catch and release on pike and musky. The wire will tear them apart.

Offline ducksnbucks36

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 08, 2016, 08:23 PM »
Your line has to either be frayed somewhere or its old. 

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 08, 2016, 09:25 PM »
Your line has to either be frayed somewhere or its old.
no its brand spankin new seagar florocarbon,the dacron is old but it never fails unless you get snagged up in brush piles ;) and have to pull it with all your migjht :flex:.i never break a hook or swiv its always cut off you can see the rasping.i tie trilene knots which never fail.i sat here thinkin through the multiple scenarios it could be we set hook too hard :flex: its cross their eyes or nothin,i use high stretch dacron to absorb the shock.oh well thats fishin and not catchin.
GOD BLESS
mo

Offline PaWhiskerWacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 09, 2016, 07:00 AM »
Try tying a palomor knot, or a snell.  I have had trilene knots fail in the past.  With a palomor knot the line is doubled through the hook eye and impossible to untie and have NEVER seen a palomor fail.   Even better than a palomor would be a silly snell, can be tied on a leader or on a mainline.  A snell will ensure a quality hook set with a circle hook, like an "octopus" and the snell will ensure that the hook comes to the corner of the mouth and out of harms way.  The snell keeps the hook shank right in line with the line itself,  and helps the circle hook find a good home in the corner of the mouth.   If I am having hookset trouble or snapping fish off....tying a snell, helps me ice more fish,  And a larger percentage of the fish are hooked in the corner of the mouth!  I am just saying the knot can make all the difference in the world.  Hope this helps ya

Offline digger953

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • build a bridge an float under it
« Reply #19 on: Jan 09, 2016, 07:12 AM »
sorry to rehash an old subject but florocarbon aint cuttin it. well it it is cuttin it and thats the problem.so i found online a alternative from afw BLOOD RED STEEL LEADERS,any one use them with success? for toothy critters it really dont matter they would hit anything its the other species that are leader shy? any thoughts?will let you know how they work?
GOD BLESS
mo

yes i use them on my tip ups with good sucess  catching pickeral bass perch
if any part looks questionable i replace it

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #20 on: Jan 09, 2016, 07:18 AM »
Seaguar Fluorocarbon leader Material or line? There is a big difference between the two... The leader material is MUCH more abrasion resistant. Also, just go bigger/heavier leader; 40, 50 even 60lb and crimp if you have a hard time with knots in the heavy line...

Offline richinpa

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 09, 2016, 08:38 AM »
The haters are gonna call BS but got this girl on 6lb fluro. Hooked in the corner of the mouth. I got lucky.

Offline richinpa

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 09, 2016, 08:46 AM »
The line you see is covered in slime. That's why it looks thick. Took 45min to bring in. Every time I slowly and gently pulled her back to the hole tried to grab under the gill plates and she would just slowly swim off. Happened a dozen times. There was never a fight just an old guy and an old fish being stubborn.

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 09, 2016, 11:19 AM »
Seaguar Fluorocarbon leader Material or line? There is a big difference between the two... The leader material is MUCH more abrasion resistant. Also, just go bigger/heavier leader; 40, 50 even 60lb and crimp if you have a hard time with knots in the heavy line...
line? i didnt know that thanks.should have questioned further?will investigate leader material thanks again'
GOD BLESS
mo

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 09, 2016, 11:23 AM »
(Image removed from quote.) The haters are gonna call BS but got this girl on 6lb fluro. Hooked in the corner of the mouth. I got lucky.
yes i too get lucky if i hook them in the lip i land them, i find they swallow my lill bait too fast? on a side note not a hater and i see skilled and unskilled get lucky its all luck?or is it?
GOD BLESS
mo

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 09, 2016, 12:07 PM »

found these on line amazon said to increase catch rate as well as reducing bite offs also ordered leader florocarbon thanks stripernut
GOD BLESS
MO

Offline delawareriver

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Jan 09, 2016, 12:14 PM »
no its brand spankin new seagar florocarbon,the dacron is old but it never fails unless you get snagged up in brush piles ;) and have to pull it with all your migjht :flex:.i never break a hook or swiv its always cut off you can see the rasping.i tie trilene knots which never fail.i sat here thinkin through the multiple scenarios it could be we set hook too hard :flex: its cross their eyes or nothin,i use high stretch dacron to absorb the shock.oh well thats fishin and not catchin.
GOD BLESS
mo

No reason to cross their eyes, a solid yank is plenty if using sharp hooks.

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Jan 09, 2016, 12:41 PM »
No reason to cross their eyes, a solid yank is plenty if using sharp hooks.
your right goin gama katsu on them
GOD BLESS
mo

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.