Author Topic: Great Day at S. Delaney and I got skunked.  (Read 805 times)

Offline Sawtooth

• Team IceShanty Addict
Great Day at S. Delaney and I got skunked.
« on: Jan 07, 2016, 07:12 AM »
My grandson has balked recently at fishing North Park because of the long drive (doesn't like getting up at 4 am - go figure), but I talked him into it by leaving the day before and spending the night in Walden and getting cheeseburgers prepared by the ladies of Paradise Lanes. 

Got in one hour at South Delaney the afternoon we arrived, and he caught one and lost one at the hole.  Got carded by the game warden as an extra bonus.  After the cheeseburgers and a good breakfast in the morning, we were on the ice by 8 am (all 15" of it -  saw the first cars of the year on ice that morning).  Before I could get everything set up, he already had two 13-14"ers.  By noon, he had caught 8-10, the nicest a 17" bow and a fat 16" cutbow.  Old grandpa got skunked.  I could provide a lot of excuses, but feel no need.  It was one of my greatest days on the ice to have him get so excited at his success.  He's ready to make the long trek again. 

On the posted video, there is a little aperture adjustment time for the camera when I lifted the flip up and the sunlight flooded in, but be patient - it resolves quickly.  He measures the bow as 15", but after I turned off the camera, I remeasured and it was 17".

http://vid913.photobucket.com/albums/ac340/SawtoothMountain/VFC20160106_001_zpsebstbi7x.mp4
There is no such thing as bad weather - only bad clothing.

Offline mtnhillbilly

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Great Day at S. Delaney and I got skunked.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 07, 2016, 08:35 AM »
Awesome ! Nice to see young ones smile my and having fun fishing! Keep up the good work with your grandson!

Offline mattyt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 07, 2016, 09:13 AM »
Nice. glad the kiddo could get into some fish!

Offline COlipripper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 07, 2016, 09:24 AM »
He'll be trained and ready to get up and catch the early bite the rest of his life! Nice job and he looks very, very happy.  ;D
Selective harvest works!

Offline arkansas angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 07, 2016, 09:27 AM »
Well done Sir.  I can't wait until my grandsons are old enough to go.

Offline Shoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 07, 2016, 04:37 PM »
Great stuff Sawtooth.  I am glad he enjoyed it.   I need to get your grandson and my son together.  Maybe some enthusiasm for fishing will rub off on my son!  He is hard to convince to go at 14 yo - but fortunately I don't mind going it alone.  The time that I saw you at Lake John, my son caught 2 nice trout while I was talking to you - and he still remembers that.

s

Offline Sawtooth

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 07, 2016, 05:30 PM »
Great stuff Sawtooth.  I am glad he enjoyed it.   I need to get your grandson and my son together.  Maybe some enthusiasm for fishing will rub off on my son!  He is hard to convince to go at 14 yo - but fortunately I don't mind going it alone.  The time that I saw you at Lake John, my son caught 2 nice trout while I was talking to you - and he still remembers that.
s

I remember that day, Shoe. I think I got skunked that day, too. That was when you introduced me to venom bobbers to help detect the very soft bite that day, and as you can see in the pics, they are still part of the arsenal.

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 07, 2016, 05:47 PM »
fish don't always make the day great                      skunks come with the territory not usually though crossing fingers

Offline Sawtooth

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 07, 2016, 07:17 PM »
fish don't always make the day great                      skunks come with the territory not usually though crossing fingers

Deeply philosophical thoughts, Mr. Goat.  I got a degree from your fine institution in Mad Town, and am not surprised to get such a response from one of its denizens.

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #9 on: Jan 07, 2016, 09:47 PM »
Looks like an amazing trip for you and the grandson.  Those are memories he'll treasure for the rest of his life.

My Granfather took me fishing every 4th of July, and really got me into fishing at a young age.  Those memories are some of my most precious, and I'll never forget his patience and knowledge that he passed down to me.

I only hope I can pass some of it down to my grandkids if I'm lucky enough to meet them.  Well done, sir. 
 :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline JohnnyO19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 07, 2016, 10:37 PM »
Great video! a moment you'll cherish for a lifetime!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.