Author Topic: Kids fishing day  (Read 2480 times)

Offline JTDC

• IceShanty Rookie
Kids fishing day
« on: Jan 06, 2016, 01:45 PM »
I know that the kids fishing day was usually held at Horsethief in the past. With the draw down/salvage fishing done there this past fall, does anyone have info on if or where the kids fishing day will be held this year?
Thnaks for any info you're able to provide.

Offline the chief

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Kids fishing day
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2016, 03:01 PM »
I saw on F&G it at cascade on the  January 16 not  sure  what site on the lake  might give them a call hope some can give you a answer.

Team Spudsickel 2012 1st place rainbow 2016 2nd place perch

Offline 97sx

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2016, 03:03 PM »
The top of this page in the sticky section...it is listed under the Idaho Tourney and Events.  There is some info for you.

At Poison Creek on Jan 16th from 10-3

Offline JTDC

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2016, 03:21 PM »
Thanks for the info. Appreciate the quick feedback.

Offline Bearsfan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2016, 08:17 PM »
Looking forward to having fresh fried perch nuggets. ;D My kids are excited for this. Thanks woodland and perch freak for this awesome day. And all involved! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Offline Doofus22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2016, 09:15 PM »
We need a kids day, and a try ice fishing day on the east side of the state. I would gladly share what little knowledge I have, and help in any way that I could.
Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Offline No Trout Please

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 06, 2016, 10:06 PM »
Make everyday kids day! I'm taking mine out this weekend and I hope they out fish me!

Offline Doofus22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 06, 2016, 10:18 PM »
No Trout Please, I take my children often. I'm talking about a public event that any one can attend, learn to ice fish, and possibly get addicted like the rest of us.

Offline Perch Freak

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 06, 2016, 10:39 PM »
Doofus,
We had one over there for three straight years a few years back. It was at Roberts Pond. That's about the only place we could find that had consistent safe ice. The perch are plentiful as I'm sure you know.
There was loss of interest in keeping it going. I'm betting it could get resurrected with some fresh volunteers involved.  IDFG was a partner so I'm sure they would help out again.

Those kids had piles of mini perch all over the ice! IDFG looked at it as a way to clean some of them out.

Offline No Trout Please

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 06, 2016, 10:42 PM »
That would be fun! Interacting with other kids would probably be more fun than hanging out with my friends! It's a good idea

Offline Doofus22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 06, 2016, 11:14 PM »
One of my fishing buddies said something about the how he helped fish and game 3 or 4 years ago with a kids day at Roberts Gravel pond. I may go talk to him, and fish and game this week, and see about working with them for next year. If so I will make sure that it gets good publicity, and maybe see if Sportsmans, and Cabelas will help sponsor it.

Offline Woodland

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 07, 2016, 12:16 PM »
Looking forward to having fresh fried perch nuggets. ;D My kids are excited for this. Thanks woodland and perch freak for this awesome day. And all involved! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :bow: :bow: :bow:
Oh i just volunteer. Perch Freak is the man!

Offline Liv2hnt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 09, 2016, 07:26 PM »
 I would be more than happy to volunteer if anyone gets this going.
Keep your powder dry and your ice hole clean.

Offline Liv2hnt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 09, 2016, 07:30 PM »
 Also I'm going to Cascade for kids day next weekend. My friend lives in Kuna and has a 6 year old girl that I've given the fishin bug. Lol. He doesn't fish and neither of them has ever been on the ice. What jigs should I bring over to fish with for her? I have never been to Cascade. Any info would be appreciated.
Keep your powder dry and your ice hole clean.

Offline Doofus22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 09, 2016, 08:19 PM »
I spoke with a Fish and Game officer Thursday that was checking licences on Ririe. He called the office and found out that the ice fishing day that used to go on out at Roberts gravel pond was not held by F&G they just helped. I will be going over at some point soon hopefully to work with them on getting something going for next year.

Offline Perch Freak

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 09, 2016, 09:57 PM »
Also I'm going to Cascade for kids day next weekend. My friend lives in Kuna and has a 6 year old girl that I've given the fishin bug. Lol. He doesn't fish and neither of them has ever been on the ice. What jigs should I bring over to fish with for her? I have never been to Cascade. Any info would be appreciated.

We will have some jigs available at the event until we run out. Any small jigs will work. Also, bring some bait holder hooks and split shot for deadsticking some worms. Anything to help the kids catch some fish. We'll see you there. Look for the guys in the orange vest and they will get you lined out on anything you need to know.

Doofus22.....PM sent. Check your inbox. :)

Offline Doofus22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 09, 2016, 11:45 PM »
Perch Freak, I got your message,  and will definitely be in touch Thank you.

Offline rickgehrke

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Rippin lips
« Reply #17 on: Jan 10, 2016, 12:34 AM »
I was planning on bringing 2 neighbor boys, Dillon and Thomas, to the kids day fishing at Cascade. They were both struck by a car today in Meridian. They are in very critical condition. Please keep them in your prayers. Thank you.
Fish hard, or go home.

Offline Bearsfan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 10, 2016, 09:39 AM »
Oh wow Rick that's horrible news. I hope they get through this without any long term disabilities.

Offline Perch Freak

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 10, 2016, 08:25 PM »
I was planning on bringing 2 neighbor boys, Dillon and Thomas, to the kids day fishing at Cascade. They were both struck by a car today in Meridian. They are in very critical condition. Please keep them in your prayers. Thank you.

Rick...PM sent.

Offline hooknhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 11, 2016, 06:55 AM »

That is terrible.  We'll keep them in our prayers as you requested. 

Offline rickgehrke

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Rippin lips
« Reply #21 on: Jan 11, 2016, 07:27 PM »
Thank you
Fish hard, or go home.

Offline ThunderDuff

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 15, 2016, 11:04 AM »
After only Catching 2 tiny fish in 6 hours on Monday,  I hope I can get my son to catch his first fish this weekend.   I hope to attend the event this Saturday.   Would love to get my kids on some fish and maybe learn something myself in the process.     

What is the best way to get to Poison Creek?   In from Donnelly or coming from the Cabarton on the south?

Offline natebert

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 15, 2016, 12:36 PM »
After only Catching 2 tiny fish in 6 hours on Monday,  I hope I can get my son to catch his first fish this weekend.   I hope to attend the event this Saturday.   Would love to get my kids on some fish and maybe learn something myself in the process.     

What is the best way to get to Poison Creek?   In from Donnelly or coming from the Cabarton on the south?

We come from the north via Tamarack Falls, as the road from the south typically isn't plowed

Offline idtrout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 15, 2016, 01:28 PM »
For me if I'm heading north on Hwy 55 I usually go to Donnelley and take a left toward tamarack falls and then another left to Poison Creek. I really don't know how the other road is snow packed I'm guessing.

Offline Bearsfan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Jan 19, 2016, 10:07 AM »
Kids had a great time. Thanks again all who contibuted.

Offline Perch Freak

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 19, 2016, 10:28 AM »
The youth ice fishing day was another success. There were just over 700 that attended. Lot's of happy kids and smiling faces. The fishing was pretty tough but there were some brought in to the cleaning station and then cooked up for the lucky ones.
Thanks to all the volunteers and event partners that make this event possible.
Here is a video taken from the sky:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEMnDpSjeAs&feature=em-share_video_user

Pictures of the event can be seen here:https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1003882786373847.1073741832.221120101316790&type=3

Offline 97sx

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 19, 2016, 11:41 AM »
Thanks for all the work PerchFreak!

We had 15 kids in our group.  They had a great time.  Didn't catch many fish and the weather was nasty, but man they had fun!  The hot chocolate warmed several up and the buckets made great tools for building igloos/forts.

Offline ThunderDuff

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 20, 2016, 09:49 AM »
I attended with my Kids,  I wanted to say THANK YOU to all who helped and supported the event (hole drillers, hotdog cookers, hot chocolate servers, knot tiers, and all other station workers).   It was a horrible day of fishing, but fun none the less.
Even had a nice guy come over with a flasher and try to find my kids a fish.   After he couldn't catch the fish he spotted on his flasher I didn't feel so bad about getting skunked.
Thanks to the snow it seems like everyone at least had fun building snow sculptures.

Offline Perch Freak

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 20, 2016, 01:26 PM »
The fish were definitely in a funk that day! After cleanup, seven of us went for a quick trip farther south and only caught two perch out of the whole group.
Thanks for attending. Glad you had a good time. The catch rate will be much better at Horsethief next year.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.