Author Topic: Humminbird Helix 7 Ready  (Read 10931 times)

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Humminbird Helix 7 Ready
« on: Jan 06, 2016, 11:59 AM »
I have my new helix 7 up and running. After a few adjustments it is doing good. Humminbird does not have a case for it so I improvised with a kitty litter container. They say they have no plans to sell one.

Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline MadPerry

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Humminbird Helix 7 Ready
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2016, 05:11 PM »
Nice!  I am a bit envious.  Used my helix 5 last year and I know it works great in flasher mode.  But bigger is better.  That screen must look amazing.  Did you buy just for ice fishing?

Offline JiggerMan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • one of my future ice buddies
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2016, 05:23 PM »
I like it.  What transducer did you use. 

RGIII keeps a bench mighty warm

Offline Elkhnter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2016, 05:42 PM »
Bee: Humminbird has the Helix Ice 5 portable.

I would bet the portable case would work as it works on most every model humminbird has. Might want to check into that.. But nice retro Fix i like it, and yeah if you type in: Who uses regular fishfinder for ice fishing you will find a ton of retro fits for finders and ducers.. Happy Trails...........
Marvin

Offline Curley

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2016, 06:45 PM »
I wouldn't worry to much about a bird case. That baby is just fine. Nice job!.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2016, 10:26 PM »
Looks great! and so does that beautiful New England Crappie!!!

Catchin' Fish

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 07, 2016, 07:01 AM »
I tried the Bird case that I have on my 45. It will go in it but is really too wide

Offline infernoxd45

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 02, 2016, 07:00 PM »
I bought one as well. The DI-GPS model. My plans are to put it on the yak and boat in open water when the ice goes off. Considering how bad our ice has been this year I probably won't take it out much until spring. I bought a $10 tool bag from Home Depot and some hardware to improvise a carrying case.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 02, 2016, 07:29 PM »
Not the first bird to end up in the litter box. ;D  Looks like a nice machine.

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 03, 2016, 07:00 AM »
Not the first bird to end up in the litter box. ;D  Looks like a nice machine.

It actually ended up back at the store. Had a digital depth issue. Graft was ok but not the digi read. Contact help at hummi was of no use. Sounded like the person in the cube in Atlanta did not even know what ice was. Asked me if I was moving around.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 03, 2016, 08:04 AM »
It actually ended up back at the store. Had a digital depth issue. Graft was ok but not the digi read. Contact help at hummi was of no use. Sounded like the person in the cube in Atlanta did not even know what ice was. Asked me if I was moving around.
What transducer were you using?

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 03, 2016, 08:52 AM »
What transducer were you using?
New XI 9-20. Still have it. may put it up for sale

Offline hays47

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 03, 2016, 09:06 AM »

I rigged a Helix 7 this way. Hate getting on knees ( especially at my age ) to keep close eye on electronics. Elevating on platform eliminates this problem. Used scrap aluminum plate and angle really light stuff and rivets . Used to flip over five gallon bucket to elevate. Now I can haul 1 less bucket. Also decided to add rod holders , where legal I like to deadstick two rods and actively jig a third. I think the active jigging rod helps attract fish to the deadstick's offerings.

I realize all the experts on the internet videos use/like the knee position. But since I am no expert this works out better for me.
Echomap 94  Chirp with panoptix ps-22.
G.E.F.M

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 03, 2016, 09:40 AM »

I rigged a Helix 7 this way. Hate getting on knees ( especially at my age ) to keep close eye on electronics. Elevating on platform eliminates this problem. Used scrap aluminum plate and angle really light stuff and rivets . Used to flip over five gallon bucket to elevate. Now I can haul 1 less bucket. Also decided to add rod holders , where legal I like to deadstick two rods and actively jig a third. I think the active jigging rod helps attract fish to the deadstick's offerings.

I realize all the experts on the internet videos use/like the knee position. But since I am no expert this works out better for me.

Nice set up. I may give Hummi another shot with w new unit. They said my unit did not have the latest Firm ware. For 75.00 they would sell me the cable to upgrade it. I said no thanks to that.

Offline hays47

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 03, 2016, 09:53 AM »
Bee- you can update using the micro/sd slot on side of the Helix. In case you haven't noticed it its on left side of frame. You will also need a card reader attached to your PC. Down load from site. You must have your unit registered with them. Register and downloads are free.

One thing I hate about Humminbird is the way they overcharge for accessories. 75 for a simple cable is out of hand. Make sure you follow update procedure closely. PM me if you think you need more help on this.
Echomap 94  Chirp with panoptix ps-22.
G.E.F.M

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 03, 2016, 09:57 AM »
non gps models do not have a card slot.

Catchin' Fish

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 03, 2016, 10:14 AM »
Bee- you can update using the micro/sd slot on side of the Helix. In case you haven't noticed it its on left side of frame. You will also need a card reader attached to your PC. Down load from site. You must have your unit registered with them. Register and downloads are free.

One thing I hate about Humminbird is the way they overcharge for accessories. 75 for a simple cable is out of hand. Make sure you follow update procedure closely. PM me if you think you need more help on this.
  Thanks for the info. I returned it to Cabelas.

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 04, 2016, 08:12 AM »
  Thanks for the info. I returned it to Cabelas.

I'm pretty sure the auto depth has been a known issue. The fix for it is to use manual depth and it should work fine.

Offline mvanhank222

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 04, 2016, 06:15 PM »
That should fit in an ice armor flasher bag the older black ones are pretty nice if you can find one. Haven't used the new blue ones but the black ones has room for a large fish finder and battery, 1 large tackle box underneath, 1 or 2 smaller jig boxes on the sides and 2 rod holding slots.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 05, 2016, 07:38 PM »
I've used auto depth on mine this season...no issues. Last year I used manual exclusively, also with no issues.

Catchin' Fish

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 06, 2016, 07:52 AM »
I still have the xducer so I may get another. Only thing is our Cabelas has nothing in the store. Why who knows. I asked the company and no response. Hard to sell what you don,t have.

Offline geo315

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • He is on his way.
« Reply #21 on: Feb 09, 2016, 06:47 PM »
I picked up a helix seven and the iceducer.  I cannot understand it.  Tried all kinds of stuff to de-clutter it. any help would be appreciated, thanks Geo.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 09, 2016, 09:55 PM »
maybe try posting a picture of what the screen looks like when cluttered. Include some info on depth, settings you were using, exact model you were using, etc.

Catchin' Fish

Offline geo315

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • He is on his way.
« Reply #23 on: Feb 10, 2016, 09:25 AM »
ok, next trip out I will do just that. G.

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 10, 2016, 11:15 AM »
I picked up a helix seven and the iceducer.  I cannot understand it.  Tried all kinds of stuff to de-clutter it. any help would be appreciated, thanks Geo.
  You will have to run very low power. Set your gain at like 2-3.

Offline geo315

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • He is on his way.
« Reply #25 on: Feb 10, 2016, 01:13 PM »
  You will have to run very low power. Set your gain at like 2-3.
I will try that. thanks.

Offline KZ3

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Feb 11, 2016, 06:53 AM »
I've run the 597 bird for two years and I'm guessing the setup is pretty much the same.  With trying different things  this is what has worked best for me.  After getting it dialed in I will say if it went down today I would have a helix 7 tomorrow.  My settings are as follows.

1.  In settings put the unit in ice fishing mode turn the switchfire to clear. 
2.  Hit the power button once and change the background to black.  For me it seems to be the best background night or day. 
3.  Go to the graph view with the RTS window on the right, the color one the just shows your bait and fish as a line, not the the one that is white.  This is basically just like a vertical flasher on the right. 
4.   Hit menu once and select bottom chart limit.  Right arrow key until the bottom shows up on your screen and exit out of the menu.
5.  Now drop your lure down and in the RTS window you should see your bait as blue, yellow, or red and the graph showing the history.   Hit menu and increase the sensitivity or decrease depending on what the RTS window is showing you.  You usually have to decrease the sensitivity.  You want your bait a blue or yellow color depending on preference.  A lot of times when dropping your bait you will see your line as a bunch of garbage following your bait down.  Just decrease the sensitivity to clean it up.  Over time this will go away as well and you can increase your sensitivity then.  Then exit out of the menu.
6.  Depending on where you are targeting your fish you can now zoom in on the area if you want.  For example I fish for perch in 65 fow and they show up between 50 and 65 fow.  I will hit menu and go to upper chart limit and move that so I am only looking at 50-65 fow on my screen.  This zooms in and enhances the view of that area.  When I drop my bait down it won't show up until it gets to 50ft.  You can do the same from 5ft to whatever depth.  Just keep in mind anything that shows up out of your zoomed in area will not be displayed.  Another example would be you're in 30 feet and all the crappies you're catching are from 10-20ft.  You set your upper limit to 5ft and you lower to 25ft.  This will zoom in on that area and display your bait and fish as bigger returns. You will actually start to get an idea of the size of fish by the yellow and red display the fish is showing. 

Anyway, just some suggestions if you want to try it.  It works great for me. 

Offline geo315

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • He is on his way.
« Reply #27 on: Feb 11, 2016, 07:23 AM »
KZ3     Many thanks for the detailed inst.  I will give it a try next time out. Thanks again, Geo.

Offline bsapp15401

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Feb 11, 2016, 09:46 AM »
I may have been having the same issue. My helix 5 would read the same in our out of the hole. In the hole it would show the correct depth for a split second ten go to 50-90', in no more than 10'. I thought I tried everything! I could see the bottom, I could see my jig but I could also see ALOT of clutter. I too would set my depth to where I thought the bottom was and "struggle" through.

I was very unhappy so I called Humminbird for some support, results are below:

Menu-Setup-User mode advanced; Menu-Sonar-Ice Fishing Mode on; Menu-Sonar-Digital Depth Source-2D Element

I did a factory setting restore then did this. Worked great and I am now in love with my Helix!

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Feb 11, 2016, 05:26 PM »
I picked up another helix 7. Had it out today and it started out with depth jumping around. I did some resets and it worked better. Next few days are going to be very cold so it may be next week befor I try it again. Hate to think I got 2 with problems. If Humminbird had someone you could talk to that would help. The lady sitting in a cube reading a checklist is not for me.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.