Author Topic: Ice fishing flies?  (Read 2714 times)

Offline iceholez

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice fishing flies?
« on: Jan 04, 2016, 12:30 PM »
Does anyone tie their own ice fishing flies or use flies in general for ice fishing?  I am a huge fly fisherman and am now extremely addicted to ice fishing.   :o
Fish, Eat, Sleep, Fish, Eat, Sleep.

Offline Raptortrapper

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Ice fishing flies?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2016, 12:56 PM »
I tie all of mine.  Same patterns you use for any of your midges or wet flies will work just fine on trout, perch and other panfish, even bass.  I just started serious ice fishing last year, but have been fly fishing since 1986 and was tying flies before that.  Never would have thought about using them under the ice till I saw it in another thread from the Maine boys.  I love the tungsten beadhead prince nymph and hares ear while fly fishing.  Turns out that both of those do very well under ice also.

Midges in size 20 work well also.  So far, red and white seem to be doing very well.  Don't dead stick them, but jig lightly.  I have put a bit of meal worm or wax worm on at times, but seem to do about 50/50 with or without added bait.
The next time you think you know it all, try telling someone else's dog what to do.

Offline iceholez

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 04, 2016, 01:00 PM »
I tie all of mine.  Same patterns you use for any of your midges or wet flies will work just fine on trout, perch and other panfish, even bass.  I just started serious ice fishing last year, but have been fly fishing since 1986 and was tying flies before that.  Never would have thought about using them under the ice till I saw it in another thread from the Maine boys.  I love the tungsten beadhead prince nymph and hares ear while fly fishing.  Turns out that both of those do very well under ice also.

Midges in size 20 work well also.  So far, red and white seem to be doing very well.  Don't dead stick them, but jig lightly.  I have put a bit of meal worm or wax worm on at times, but seem to do about 50/50 with or without added bait.

Great advice Raptor!  I'm assuming still match the hatch and can't go wrong with the prince.  My friend and I make an annual trip to the gaps every February.  We ice two days and hit the Frying pan one day. Maybe we can meet up this year.

Offline RussC

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 04, 2016, 01:17 PM »
Don't miss out on using bloodworms, they are always present in pretty much all lakes, and are a major food source in the winter.

Offline fishslap

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 04, 2016, 01:24 PM »
I fly fish and use "flies" through the ice, but I don't tie my own.  I use various flies from jeff's jigs and flies (https://www.jeffsjigs.com/).  Midge patterns are good, but I think you'll do better by using traditional smaller tungsten jig heads and micro soft plastics such as the little atom offerings(http://www.yourbobbersdown.com/category-s/127.htm).  VMC just came out with a new tungsten ice fly that works great for all species (http://www.rapala.com/vmc/jigs/jigs/tfj-tungsten-fly-jig/TFJ+Tungsten+Fly+Jig.html?cgid=vmc-jigs-jigs&start=1).   Sow bugs are also a good fly.

Offline iceholez

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 04, 2016, 01:28 PM »
I fly fish and use "flies" through the ice, but I don't tie my own.  I use various flies from jeff's jigs and flies (https://www.jeffsjigs.com/).  Midge patterns are good, but I think you'll do better by using traditional smaller tungsten jig heads and micro soft plastics such as the little atom offerings(http://www.yourbobbersdown.com/category-s/127.htm).  VMC just came out with a new tungsten ice fly that works great for all species (http://www.rapala.com/vmc/jigs/jigs/tfj-tungsten-fly-jig/TFJ+Tungsten+Fly+Jig.html?cgid=vmc-jigs-jigs&start=1).   Sow bugs are also a good fly.

Thanks guys!
Fishslap I just sent you a fishing report pm from yesterday.

Offline IcedODA

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 04, 2016, 01:57 PM »
I tied up a few to use last weekend after seeing the Northland ones in the store for $2.50 a piece. I already had all the materials; just a scud hook, tungsten bead, some midge tubing, and a little soft hackle collar.

I used them with my palm rod tipped with spikes or plain and had a lot of success.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Jan 04, 2016, 01:59 PM »
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline mtnhillbilly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 04, 2016, 02:36 PM »
Tied some scuds yesterday hopefully try them tomorrow at the mile? Just not sure how I'm gonna fishem? Probably tie on some plastic jug that usually works there and leave the tag end for the scud? Any ideas how to fish them?

Offline iceholez

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 04, 2016, 02:43 PM »
Tied some scuds yesterday hopefully try them tomorrow at the mile? Just not sure how I'm gonna fishem? Probably tie on some plastic jug that usually works there and leave the tag end for the scud? Any ideas how to fish them?

Im not sure how I would fish them, but that idea sounds about right.  Im planning on hitting up the mile also tomorrow.

Offline Raptortrapper

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 04, 2016, 04:07 PM »
Recent thread ...very talented IS members here

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=319150.0;topicseen
That's the thread I was referring to earlier.  I started tying mine after seeing that thread.  I posted a few in the thread also.  There are some GREAT patterns in there.

Iceholez-- I don't really worry about matching the hatch much.  Even while fly fishing.  There are some flies that just seem to work all year, and I usually go with those.  I will admit, I will match up with caddis and some of the major ones that come through, but most of the time, I start with a bead head prince and trail a black midge behind that, and usually end up catching plenty.  I also use a pheasant tail or hare's ear up front, and do fine with those also.  With my palm rod on ice, I like using the midges in about 10 FOW for little bait size perch, then throw them on the tipup for pike and musky.  I've used the palm rod in as much as 30 FOW, but it becomes a pain when the line starts snagging on every piece of ice or snow.  Rather just go after the bigger stuff at those depths so I can use a regular pole and larger jigs / flies. 

As mentioned, blood worm patterns do pretty well also.  Specially if you trail them behind a tungsten prince nymph to give them a little weight to get to the bottom quicker.  Tons of ways to fish flies under ice, and I'm just getting started with it myself!  Sure is fun though.
The next time you think you know it all, try telling someone else's dog what to do.

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 04, 2016, 06:29 PM »
I tie mine on size 14 gold jig hooks, bead of solder for the head, and marabou in dark to light.  My preferred thing to tip with are golden rod grubs.
Bud

Offline Raptortrapper

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 04, 2016, 07:32 PM »
Iceholez, let me know when you guys get out here in February.  My buddy and I would be happy to meet up with ya.  I don't hit the Frying Pan very often cause there is some great trout right here on the Colorado River right outside of town.  Don't see the point in leaving gold to find gold.  I've been told a lot of guys go to the Pan for the scenery.  Well, if you're lookin at the scenery, you're not watching your line!  :thumbsup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.