Author Topic: WILLOW SLOUGH  (Read 3839 times)

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
WILLOW SLOUGH
« on: Dec 31, 2015, 12:58 PM »
FYI, I just called and was informed that the lake would be closed to ice fishermen until January 24. It doesn't look like they are anticipating any ice till after then. Guess the long goose season and all open water is the culprit. The next couple days is just going to be a tease...

Offline izzy65

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: WILLOW SLOUGH
« Reply #1 on: Dec 31, 2015, 02:16 PM »
Goose is open until Jan 24th. Does not close the 3rd

Offline high_flags

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 31, 2015, 05:25 PM »
Going to miss fishing New years day at the slough, I almost always go there on that day... lets hope we have good ice around the 24th.  I think we will.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Offline izzy65

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 31, 2015, 06:32 PM »
No , Here in northern zone

Offline crappieslayer37

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 01, 2016, 07:40 AM »
The slough is fished out. Don't go there anyway.

Offline Icy86

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 01, 2016, 09:20 PM »
The slough is fished out. Don't go there anyway.
nah..........not even close

Offline Jig_Head

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 01, 2016, 10:55 PM »
Still never been there. I say I'm goin every year and never do
When hell freezes over ill ice fish there too!

Offline cohobob

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 02, 2016, 05:49 AM »
For those who fish the back of the lake, If you haven't been there for a while, you may be in for a surprise.

Offline Ranger619

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 02, 2016, 07:44 AM »
For those who fish the back of the lake, If you haven't been there for a while, you may be in for a surprise.

New docks and a ramp ???  ;D ;D ;D
Fish as much as you can we're not here forever!

Otter Cottage Pro X Over
Marcum LX9 LX7 LX3
Thorne Bros,G Austin & TUCR Rods
Striker Lite Flite Milwaukee Fuel M18

Suzuki 750 King Quad W/Otter Monster Box

Offline crappieslayer37

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 02, 2016, 07:46 AM »
nah..........not even close
it was a joke lol!!

Offline MrHoosier

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 02, 2016, 08:32 AM »

Hopefully a  smooth ride in?? ::) lol

Offline cohobob

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 02, 2016, 12:09 PM »
Over the summer almost all the weeds were killed, reference points using reeds are all gone, may have to do a some hunting to find them if we ever get ice

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 02, 2016, 12:34 PM »
Over the summer almost all the weeds were killed, reference points using reeds are all gone, may have to do a some hunting to find them if we ever get ice

Geese eat the reeds when they first started to grow? They eliminated the reeds on the sandbar on Diamond that way.

Do any geese go south anymore?
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline cohobob

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 02, 2016, 07:49 PM »
They were poisoned not the geese the weeds

Offline Fish_Tko

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 02, 2016, 08:15 PM »
Yum... Be tasty fillets... Extra poison
There is only one theory about angling in which I have perfect confidence, and this is that the two words, least appropriate to any statement, about it, are the words "always" and "never."

Offline seasalt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 02, 2016, 09:33 PM »
Ok so what does this weed kill mean. I'm kinda new to fishing. I know last year here it was very very slow. Does this mean its gonna be worse than last year? Thanks.

Offline crappiecrusher34

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 02, 2016, 10:11 PM »
 The back was slow for we this early summer front still had weeds and fish a great early season. Last season was good for me and the group I fished with did well. There are many secrets to the Slough. I grew up in lake village. Number one don't were cleats fish are two feet under your s that are grinding ice. Big gills are smart and weary. Spacing is important. But there is less if them due to two years of great ice but many bulls still in there. This summer panfishpoper and I had 20 fish over a pound. Weighted on scale.Slough can tear u up or u can tear them up. Its all up to u. Good luck
Chasing a dream on the water.

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 02, 2016, 10:27 PM »
. Spacing is important. But there is less if them due to two years of great ice but many bulls still in there. This summer panfishpoper and I had 20 fish over a pound.

Share some pics of those pounders.  Would love to see them.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 02, 2016, 10:31 PM »
They were poisoned not the geese the weeds

Hard to kill bullrush (reeds) with a herbicide unless you use a special one or combination. The emergent herbicide I use to kill Cattails on my pond has no effect on the bullrush in the pond. Bullrush is not terribly invasive so it's not usually targeted.

Maybe they had to use a floridone product to control sone type of invasive plant like milfoil and the bullrush was collateral damage?

Geese love to eat bullrush when it first sprouts. They can eliminate it permanently if there are enough of them.

I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline crappiecrusher34

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 02, 2016, 10:38 PM »
I will tomorrow when I returned from my trip tomorrow. I have a 1.54 also from there and it was a gill not ear. I have it in the freeze wanting to Mount. Panfishpoper can confirm weight. I held back for years but ready to share on here.

Offline panfishpopper85

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 02, 2016, 11:46 PM »

17 1lb or bigger

Offline panfishpopper85

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 02, 2016, 11:48 PM »

Offline bubbagill

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Marking Reds, Catching Greens.
« Reply #22 on: Jan 02, 2016, 11:56 PM »
Those are nice red ears for sure.  Awesome mess.
Marking Reds, catching Greens.
HOLY COW.  Go Cubs Go.

Offline sprkplug

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Jan 03, 2016, 07:36 AM »
Great redears, and I think I see a couple bluegill/redear hybrids as well. Looks like a lot of males.

Offline crappiecrusher34

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 03, 2016, 08:26 AM »
Sparkplug. Your correct only had a few females. Think god. We were looking to put things in grease that day. Panfishpoper has caught bigger ones that were female. We released most of the ladies as season progressed.Not sure about hybreads, I fish with Dave the man responsible for the last fish stocking. He's retried now. And said he didn't know of hybreads being in there. The big ones sometimes look diff.  And in my opinion he did a great job. Not sure new guy there has the same Passion for the gills as Dave does. It takes the right combination to grow them big. Let's hope the young guy keeps lake in good shape.

Offline sprkplug

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Jan 03, 2016, 08:35 AM »
When I enlarge the photo things get a little blurry, so I may be seeing something that isn't there. The fish on the top row, left side appears to show vertical stripes reminiscent of a BG, but I may be incorrect. In any case, if there are hybrids present they were not stocked, but occurred naturally. Bluegills and redears are different species, but they will readily hybridize.

Offline seasalt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 03, 2016, 10:21 AM »
Just looked at the weather report for Willow Slough. Not looking good - Thursday, Friday and Saturday temps in the mid 40's. Dang I hope not. I don't open water fish so the I so look forward to the Slough in the winter. Guess I'll be heading north again this year. If there's no ice this year at the Slough, it'll be 3 out of the last 5 years there's been none there.

Offline TeacherPreacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Jan 03, 2016, 10:24 AM »
Research shows the gene for Big gills is carried by the male !!!  Need to rethink what we keep. Release the big males and keep the females.
Teach
Teacher Preacher
Life is short! Do all that you love to do as often as you can with those that you love!

Offline crappiecrusher34

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 03, 2016, 12:26 PM »
 I Now hope there's no ice at slough.lol I'll still be on ice. U all think its over before its begin. No one was on slough this time last year. And I fished the last four years with success. it's important to stay positive. Hey teach I fished around u a lot last year bet if u put littles back they will get bigger too. That's fine I'll just keep them for my self not to be caught again. I put few females back BC they were a pound and quarter trophies. I know the bulls guard the nest. Stop police ing on the treads. Stay positive it will do wonders for your game. Now am going to clean this fish I got though the ice.

Offline sprkplug

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Jan 03, 2016, 02:13 PM »
Teach is correct, releasing the biggest males is much more beneficial to the size hierarchy than releasing the females. That being said, I still release an exceptional female, however a half dozen female BG is all that's needed to sustain the BG population in a lot of one acre ponds. However redears usually spawn a time or two in our area, while bluegill may have 3-4 spawns a year. So releasing redears is probably a safe bet, either males or females.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.