The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Eating & Drinking On the Ice  (Read 2923 times)

Offline uncleshorty

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born up the mountain, raised in a cave...
Eating & Drinking On the Ice
« on: Dec 30, 2015, 02:06 PM »
If we EVER get any ice what do you take to eat and drink while out there on the ice? 

Do you cook or just bag it?  If you cook what's your set up?  If you don't, why not?

I don't cook because I'm usually by myself.  I'll normally take a couple of sandwiches:  Lebanon bologna and American cheese on wheat bread w/ mayo, soup in a thermos, usually some kind of bean or gumbo, a thermos of coffee and a couple bottles of water.

I used to take a couple Hershey bars and a beer, but haven't for some years now.

When I was a kid we'd take a bucket with charcoal and cook hotdogs and roast potatoes. 

The best meal I can remember eating in my life was a seafood dinner in Singapore.  (The loup de mer with wasabi sauce @ Charlie Gittos On the Hill in St. Louis came close,) but...

Those hotdogs and taters are right up there, at least in my memories...

Ice fishin' & turtlin's all I crave...

Offline Icemole

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Eating & Drinking On the Ice
« Reply #1 on: Dec 30, 2015, 02:33 PM »
 Back in the mid 80's my folks found a "scotch grill" at a yard sale. That thing was pretty sweet it was all but self contained. Cooked lots of burgers +deer chops out on the ice with that thing till it rusted away. Now I guess they are "collectibles" and very pricey if you can find one . Mostly I'm solo now and some jerky, a snickers bar and 2 bottles of Coke (I open one on the way to wash down a doughnut ;D) will do me.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #2 on: Dec 30, 2015, 03:18 PM »
when i was younger we fished all day dark to dark 30 we brought grills both propane and charcoal and a coleman 2 burner stove :o we cookeedd and cookeed breakfast lunch and afternoon snack from pizza to omelets now its trailmix and p n j sammiches.
GOD BLESS
mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline Eddie Spaghetti

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 30, 2015, 06:20 PM »
Mostly a bag lunch. But, we sometimes step it up a bit.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Dec 30, 2015, 06:41 PM »
I just bag it.

Offline NEZ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Good fishing and safe ice
« Reply #5 on: Dec 30, 2015, 08:49 PM »
usually just bag lunch consisting of venison bologna, jerky, sweet and salty bars and Mountain Dew.  Making 25lbs of venison bologna this weekend…yum.  Nez

Offline Adkrs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 30, 2015, 08:55 PM »
Food and drink in the same pic  ;D nothing better than hot breakfast sandwiches out on the ice. With some tea to wash them down ;)
Beer will get you through times of no ice better than ice will get you through times of no beer...

Offline clayboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 30, 2015, 08:58 PM »
I want to fish I mean eat with Eddie. But me and my boys will grill. Soup I made a good batch of polish deer sausage and Italian too. Lot of days last season at Pyme was full of skunk. Wel not really was dinks. Feed me and I will drill a hole

Offline ditzlr79

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If I'm fishing I'm happy
« Reply #8 on: Dec 30, 2015, 09:24 PM »
Usually it's just some sandwiches, chips, jerky, nuts, tea, and water. But each year I go out the more I see, actually more smell, people cooking. So this year it will involve more hot foods. Haha. These pics are making me hungry!  :thumbsup:
There's Ice Fishing, then there's ice and fishing.

Offline Walleyekiller

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 30, 2015, 09:31 PM »
We eat fish & drink beer & if we don't catch anything worth cooking we just drink more beer!

Offline digger953

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • build a bridge an float under it
« Reply #10 on: Dec 31, 2015, 05:06 AM »
we take at least 1 grill or more depends on how many people are going and who else shows up
we have bacon hotdogs digger burgers sausages with peppers n onionsmushrooms or what
ever people bring or want to eat that trip out
we fish eat n have a blast ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline archerylonehunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 31, 2015, 05:22 AM »
my buddies always count on me grilling something.  We've done venison ki bobs  and burgers, to steaks.  always taste better on the ice.

Offline PaWhiskerWacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 31, 2015, 08:52 AM »
Sloppy joe's over the woodstove are my favorite, easy and delicious!  Don't forget the Folgers coffee crystals and hot cocoa for the kids.    MMMMMMM, a hot breakfast sandwich does sound good!!

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 31, 2015, 09:52 PM »
I like beef and venison jerky, smoked cheese, and the like for portability. Usually I just drink water, though a thermos of hot coffee is never a bad idea. Sometimes it's nice to have the grill along, especially mid day if the bite happens to be slow. (and it usually is) My Weber Go Anywhere is great and portable though I still like charcoal which translates to a little more bulk. Kielbasa on a potato roll is one of my favorite ice grilling meals. ;D

Offline CavScout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 31, 2015, 10:41 PM »
Well.... It all depends on who I'm with and what the intent is. I have run the gambit from tip up parties that involve a grill, keg amd bonfire on the ice to just a can of ravioli heated up on the heater.  All depends on the crowd. While I love amd miss my tipup parties most days involve a thermos of coffee and a can of ravioli with some venison jerky to make it through the day till I get home to the family.
US Army Cavalry Scout 2007-Present 

"The Only Thing Necessary for the Triumph of Evil is that Good Men Do Nothing"-Edmund Burke

Offline HUTCH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 01, 2016, 08:13 AM »
Its like a big picnic, chili dogs burgers all that stuff

Offline deer george

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 01, 2016, 09:16 AM »
Raman noodles and sandwitch  and some deer Bologna always seems good on the ice????

Offline Eddie Spaghetti

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 01, 2016, 09:18 AM »
I want to fish I mean eat with Eddie. But me and my boys will grill. Soup I made a good batch of polish deer sausage and Italian too. Lot of days last season at Pyme was full of skunk. Wel not really was dinks. Feed me and I will drill a hole

Any time Clayboy. We get some ice, I'll let you know.

Offline Eddie Spaghetti

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 01, 2016, 09:19 AM »
Food and drink in the same pic  ;D nothing better than hot breakfast sandwiches out on the ice. With some tea to wash them down ;)

I can hear the bacon sizzle!

Offline Adkrs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 01, 2016, 09:25 AM »
I can hear the bacon sizzle!

If you ever want to meet other fishermen...cook some bacon on the ice. The smell draws them in from miles around  ;D ;D

I charge 1 jig per slice  :P
Beer will get you through times of no ice better than ice will get you through times of no beer...

Offline clayboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 01, 2016, 11:16 AM »
not getting too excited but if there is a good cap of hard thick ice  I got some diff deer sausages I made this season..

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 01, 2016, 12:26 PM »
I also just bag it,too busy fishing.but those sure look some good spreads ;D

Offline geothefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tightlines and safe ice to you all!
« Reply #22 on: Jan 04, 2016, 12:53 AM »
we take at least 1 grill or more depends on how many people are going and who else shows up
we have bacon hotdogs digger burgers sausages with peppers n onionsmushrooms or what
ever people bring or want to eat that trip out
we fish eat n have a blast ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Oh man, I haven't had a Digger burger in a few years!  We have to get out with Nate and April this year and have our own get together again!
   Me and my son/fishing buddy AKA gfisher95 

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 04, 2016, 07:02 AM »
I bag it but some of my buddies grill. wanna get a system together for this year cuz it's way better eating grilled dogs and a hot cup of chili with an ice cold beer than a frozen ham sandwich, lol! And having a hot pot of coffee from time to time is priceless!

Offline fishinpreacher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 05, 2016, 01:52 PM »
It depends, if I'm by myself I usually just bag it ring bologna, cheese, crackers etc.  & a thermos of coffee.
When I have my boys out with me, or am out with a bunch of friends I bring my little propane grill and do dogs, burgers, sausage, and stuff like that.

Offline Richie2Shoes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 05, 2016, 06:53 PM »
Man, some of you guys go all out!  I figured just a thermos of soup, thermos of coffee, some water and a sandwich!

Offline walleyekeeper570

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 08, 2016, 09:14 PM »
I have a windbreak that I built with an oven that sits under my seat.  I framed it with heavy gauge aluminum and attached to the bottom of my seat so it deflects the heat from my stove and gives me a nice warm butt at the same time. A small Coleman single burner stove works great to heat up the oven from below.  What do I cook?  Frozen mini pizzas, nachos with hot melted cheese, hot ham and cheese, roasted peanuts. Whatever you want. Wrap in aluminum foil and cook.  I'm mobile and don't have to lug a grill etc. on the ice. One note: Make sure you crack the lid on the cheese in a can...Otherwise it explodes under pressure while cooking. Not fun cleaning up exploded cheese.   

I've had many jealous guys looking rather hungry around me eating cold sandwiches and jerky.  Anybody that backpacks can cook a great meal with a small stove and the same goes for ice fishing. FYI you get more bites when your pizza is ready. 

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Jan 09, 2016, 06:20 AM »
I have a windbreak that I built with an oven that sits under my seat.  I framed it with heavy gauge aluminum and attached to the bottom of my seat so it deflects the heat from my stove and gives me a nice warm butt at the same time. A small Coleman single burner stove works great to heat up the oven from below.  What do I cook?  Frozen mini pizzas, nachos with hot melted cheese, hot ham and cheese, roasted peanuts. Whatever you want. Wrap in aluminum foil and cook.  I'm mobile and don't have to lug a grill etc. on the ice. One note: Make sure you crack the lid on the cheese in a can...Otherwise it explodes under pressure while cooking. Not fun cleaning up exploded cheese.   

I've had many jealous guys looking rather hungry around me eating cold sandwiches and jerky.  Anybody that backpacks can cook a great meal with a small stove and the same goes for ice fishing. FYI you get more bites when your pizza is ready.
i would like to see a pic of your setup walleyekeeper570

Offline PaWhiskerWacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 09, 2016, 07:06 AM »
1MO  X2,  PIC!

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Jan 09, 2016, 07:07 AM »
1MO  X3,  PIC!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum