The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Strikemaster Mag 2000  (Read 2587 times)

Offline jigging the dream

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • fishins' always good sometimes the catchin aint...
Strikemaster Mag 2000
« on: Dec 28, 2015, 12:21 AM »
Hello all, I have a strikemaster mag 2000.I bought it brand new in 2006. Lately it's been giving me trouble. I noticed on the carb the plastic elbow that the fuel line hooks to was cracked so I ordered a new one. Also got new gaskets and everything. So I took it all apart and replaced the elbow and installed all the new gaskets. Then I had a heck of a time trying to get it started. Fresh gas ,added sea foam too. I really have to pull on it a lot to get it to start now.where before it would Fire after a couple pulls. I finally get it it to start but I have to stay on the throttle. It will not idle at all and when I give it a lot of throttle it bogs really bad. I've tried adjusting the idle screw but no luck. Anybody else experience this? What did you do to fix it? I'm pretty sure I put it back together properly and it seemed to run good before I did all of this.

Offline icefish99

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Re: Strikemaster Mag 2000
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28, 2015, 05:15 AM »
I have 2 of them and are having carb problems with both. my old one was doing the same thing that yours was. yesterday I took  it apart
and I took both caps off and blew it out also took the little valve out and cleaned it and added a little sea foam put back together and now it runs fine. hope this helps. Good luck

Offline Turbo jig2000

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 28, 2015, 06:35 AM »
How old is the spark plug? Good idea to change it every year even if you don't think it needs it.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 28, 2015, 11:22 AM »
Spark plug is old. I will tey that first and see what happens. Thanks for the ideas guys

Offline Seedtree

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The older I get, the better I was.
« Reply #4 on: Dec 28, 2015, 07:49 PM »
Good ideas.  I have a SM 2000 which had problems after bad gas. 

In my experience, when you first add Seafoam in such a situation, the engine will continue to run bad.  After running a tank or two, and switching to fresh gas w/o Seafoam, it might run better.   Mine did.

I also have had better experiences with SM oil mix than o/w. 

Changing the plug is a great idea.  If that doesn't work, it sounds like a fuel leak somewhere.  If that one fuel line was cracked and ready to fall apart, others likely are as well.  Could be those degrading fuel lines are also clogging up your fuel system from the inside.

My .02s.

Offline Golden Trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 28, 2015, 10:53 PM »
My strikemaster quit on me today.  Had to borrow somebody else auger.   This isnt the first time either. 

Offline G fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wish i was a fishing(Too slim n the traildragers)
« Reply #6 on: Dec 28, 2015, 11:14 PM »
have a mag 2000 and had prob. on sunday with it took it apart and cleaned what I could added seafoam and 93 octane to it  pulled air filter and ran it at a high rpm like all 2 strokes like to be ran don't forget a new spark plug. the bogging prob. could be the clutch  a power head can run strong but a clutch will make its weak, kind of thinking about electric not maybe up grade to a bad ass solo lazer mag pro 3hp.
Team Ripp'n lips.
"Drink a little"
"Save a little"
"There will always be a Little".

Offline CavScout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 29, 2015, 12:45 AM »
Mine was giving me fits for the longest time. Here is a link to my posting on how i fixed her. To this day she still runs awesome. Infact ahe out ran and out cut a couple of buddies eskimo and a jiffy yesterday at 9500 ft.

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=296849.msg3107890#msg3107890
US Army Cavalry Scout 2007-Present 

"The Only Thing Necessary for the Triumph of Evil is that Good Men Do Nothing"-Edmund Burke

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 29, 2015, 08:16 AM »
I tried a new plug and I couldn't get it started. Looks like im gonna have to get a new carb.

Offline JiggerDan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 29, 2015, 08:31 AM »
Sounds to me like a diaphragm problem.
Jesus ain't the only one who walks on water!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Dec 29, 2015, 08:38 AM »
Is the diaphragm installed properly ?

http://www.triciajoy.com/subject/strikemaster+mag+2000+ice+auger+carb+parts/

If you need carb try  D rock ice

http://drockicecenter.com/

my buddy got one from them last year ...runs like a champ...no adjustment required .
he tried rebuilding it...and had success with rebuilds in past ..but not on this one particular one ..ne carburetor was the solution .

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Nodakjohns

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 29, 2015, 09:11 AM »
Had a mag 2000, loved it. Couldn't find the problem so took it in and they found I had a scorched cylinder. Looked around for another mag 2000 but couldn't find a used one. So I ended up buying a solo powerhead.

Offline Seedtree

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The older I get, the better I was.
« Reply #12 on: Dec 29, 2015, 08:14 PM »
StrikeMaster used to have a auger tune up deal.  Might be worth a call.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 29, 2015, 11:07 PM »
Update- I tore down my auger again today. Took both caps off the carb and cleaned everything best I could. And I installed new diaphrams. Put it all back together and she fired on the second pull. I ran it for while and its was way more responsive and no bogging at all. I shut it off and waited about ten minutes and figured I'd pull it one more time to make sure it was still good and I wasn't dreaming lol. I ended up having to pull on it for a long time before I got it started and I had to hold the throttle all the way open to get it to fire which before I started fiddling with it I never had to do that.  So, it is running better, when I can get it to start lol. Thanks everyone for your input and ideas. It has helped a lot! If I can't get it to be consistent I'm gonna order a new carb and go from there. Thanks again everyone

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Dec 30, 2015, 06:43 AM »
Glad you got it running ...is the tank clean ...no flaking debris ...the hose in good shape ? ...also a good/new plug ?
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Kinkyline

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • How sweet they are!
« Reply #15 on: Dec 30, 2015, 07:13 AM »
   Could be the idle jets on the motor side of the carb are plugged yet. Take a close look and locate these tiny holes in the carb throat. Take tag wire and run through the holes,then spray carb cleaner through it. Carb diaphragm goes in with the metal button facing the metering jet. Hope this helps.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 30, 2015, 08:14 AM »
Yea I put a new fuel tank and hose on it too.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #17 on: Dec 30, 2015, 08:23 AM »
Heavy dose of SeaFoam into the mix ...let that run ...choke it out ...let sit and work its magic overnight . Let us know what the final out come is ....I did read somewhere about soaking the carb parts in SeaFoam overnight ....just a thought .

Offline Golden Trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 30, 2015, 07:19 PM »
I still cant get my strikemaster to work, so I went and bought an Ion electric auger.  I will never buy from strikemaster again, I have replaced everything on that auger, and more than once.  Some parts 3 times. 

Offline Fortpeck1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Dec 30, 2015, 09:42 PM »
golden trout ,
Do you want to sell your strikemaster old auger?.
I am interested if you are.
   Fortpeck1

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.