Author Topic: Do  (Read 1838 times)

JHM

Do
« on: Jan 22, 2006, 07:10 PM »
Has anyone used a do probe to find fish under the ice??Just thought i would through it out there.

JHM

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
Re: Do
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2006, 08:02 PM »
Never heard of it? What is it? ???
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline kerosenecounty17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • kc17 - NE WI
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2006, 09:54 PM »
I assume you're refering to a dissolved oxygen sensor, correct?  Far as I know, they run anywhere from 1 to 10 grand a pop.  If ya know where I can get a cheap, reliable one, I'll be the first in line to buy one.

kc17

"An ounce of biology is worth a pound of tackle."

-Gord Pyzer

Offline shawner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2006, 09:30 PM »

Hmmm, that's interesting. Used them up at the college for alot of general readings, not for targeting fish per say. Do does relate to where certain species want to be like pH and turbidity do also. I wonder, but like kerosene said, they are very expensive for a reliable one and they are prone to breaking. Could just be the one's we were using though. :tipup:

Offline acsacmboy2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2006, 04:08 PM »
how about picking up a few POOL TEST STRIPS? granted it wont read dissolved oxygen but they do pH and other good stuff. or maybe some even for goldfish tanks?
ps. i worked at a pool store this summer so i know what im talking about

Randy

Randy Mason
FLCC 09' Fisheries Technology Major

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2006, 04:15 PM »
You need a DO reader that goes down too the bottom who cares what the DO is on the sufrace :) THey need to start making Aqua vu's with DO meters on them lol  the temp on the Camera does help alot  though
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 24, 2006, 04:54 PM »
Sure!  I have used my shops Dissolved Oxygen meter for reading O2 levels on several local lakes in late winter, fishing etc...  We perform Dissolved Oxygen samples on water throughout the year, and pass those readings onto the State of Alaska DEC.  Fishing King is correct about the depth.  You want to read throughout the column of water.  "Usually" the winter DO formula is: High DO = Fish.   Good meters will have a reasonable length of cable attached (5-20 ft.).  My meter (YSI INC.) runs a steep $600.00 from USA Bluebook.  Fun to operate! but not necessary for the average Joe, (unless you fish in lakes with a history of low Oxygen.)  -Barleydog
TEAM ALASKA

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.