Author Topic: Added Photos : Homemade Helix 5 SI GPS "ICE" conversion  (Read 4088 times)

Offline T-Hawker

• Team IceShanty Regular
Just wanted to pass this along... just getting into ice fishing this year (come on ice!) so I wanted to convert my "open water" Helix 5 SI GPS for hard water.  Bought a plastic ammo case on sale for $7 from Menards.  It includes a water tight o-ring seal.  $20 12v 9amp battery from Fleet Farm was next. $20 spare Humminbird power cord and $76 Xi 9 20 transducer rounded out my shopping list. Since I already have a couple Battery Tender Jrs, I just bought a couple 2 prong connectors and made a battery harness so I can simply unplug my Helix power cord and directly plug in the Battery Tender Jr for battery charging.  The battery fits perfectly in the ammo box as does (by pure luck) the "1 by 4" board that i have my Helix mount attached to (homemade swivel base for the boat).  The battery, Helix unit, and transducer all tuck neatly in the ammo box for transport.  The wood swivel base allow me to put the head unit into the box as a good viewing angle and rest the box cover on top of it.  It's a really slick, easy set-up.  Just wanted to pass this along if someone didn't want to drop over $100 for a portable bag conversion.

Seasoned deer hunter, greenhorn fisherdude.

Offline bowmandan

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Homemade Helix 5 SI GPS "ICE" conversion
« Reply #1 on: Dec 20, 2015, 10:28 PM »
Post a picture of your box.

Offline Sikaman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's all about the angle of the dangle!!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 20, 2015, 11:28 PM »
Sounds sweet
Do you have any pics?
What brand transducer is theXI?

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 21, 2015, 09:58 PM »
Sounds sweet
Do you have any pics?
What brand transducer is theXI?

Humminbird http://www.humminbird.com/Products/XI-9-20/

Catchin' Fish

Offline SeisMec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'd rather be fishing!
Re: Added Photos : Homemade Helix 5 SI GPS "ICE" conversion
« Reply #4 on: Dec 21, 2015, 11:02 PM »
Welcome to the boards, post your location so we can harass you about your ice conditions.

Offline Sikaman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's all about the angle of the dangle!!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 22, 2015, 06:54 AM »
That looks great!
How did you make your swivel base?

Offline bowmandan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 22, 2015, 07:45 AM »
Like it

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #7 on: Dec 22, 2015, 08:52 AM »
Curious to see how it works that's what I run on my boat.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #8 on: Dec 22, 2015, 09:01 AM »
what a way to start your stay here with us, good job!

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Dec 22, 2015, 10:14 AM »
While its setup are you able to still carry it by the handle? Or do you have to flip the head unit into the box and latch the lid closed?

If its the latter you may want to come up with a way to pick it up and move without having to pack it all up every time. As you jig more and more, youll find that to be a PITA.
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 22, 2015, 10:33 AM »
you could add two simple loops of paracord to the box as handles to carry it while setup....drill holes in the box, insert paracord, tie knots - instant handle

Catchin' Fish

Offline T-Hawker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 22, 2015, 06:55 PM »
That looks great!
How did you make your swivel base?

Swivel base is pretty basic.  Took 1 x 4 pressure treated board and cut two pcs about 6" long (cut length to whatever width the ammo box is if you want to do what I'm doing with my ammo box / sonar set-up).  Stacked them on top of each other and drilled a 1/4" hole thru both at the same time so they are lined up.  I then used about a 3/4" spade bit to put about a 1/8" deep recess around one of the 1/4" holes.  Used a 1/4" x 2" carriage bolt in one board and screwed that pc to the bench seat in my fishing boat.  The recess from the spade bit allows bottom board to sit flush on the bench seat because the carriage bolt head (head down, threads pointing up) is above the bottom surface of the board.  I then mounted the Humminbird mount that came with my Helix to the other board with the supplied screws.  Slid the board with the mount over the 1/4" bolt thread and bought a $2 knob from the hardware store.  Looks fine in my '81 old fishing boat.  I can loosen the threaded knob, swivel the boards on each other to desired position and spin the threaded knob to lock it down.  When I remove my unit it's faster to just unthread the one knob and take the unit, mounting bracket and top board with me.

Offline T-Hawker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 22, 2015, 07:09 PM »
While its setup are you able to still carry it by the handle? Or do you have to flip the head unit into the box and latch the lid closed?

If its the latter you may want to come up with a way to pick it up and move without having to pack it all up every time. As you jig more and more, youll find that to be a PITA.

While watching "Across the Ice Belt" TV this past weekend, I saw them moving their Vex and the very issue you point out dawned on me.  I have a plan for that.  In the photos you can see that on both sides of the green latches there are holes for padlocks.  If I pull my the head unit out just a bit further than it shows in the photos, I'll be able to put two bolts with wing nuts (or use cross-drilled pins with hairpin style cotter pins) thru the padlock holes both in the lid and the base of the box to "lock" the box top at a fixed angle and allow me to pick up / carry the unit with the sonar unit in place.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.