The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Eating fish!  (Read 2283 times)

Offline Wyowalleye

• IceShanty Rookie
Eating fish!
« on: Dec 09, 2015, 11:02 PM »
How do you like eating ling? I've heard they are good but never tried them.

Offline rskendallxc

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I do, because you don't
Re: Re: 2015-2016 Wyoming Icefishing pictures
« Reply #1 on: Dec 10, 2015, 09:16 AM »
How do you like eating ling? I've heard they are good but never tried them.

I love to eat them. They taste and look just like cat fish once its cooked.
My wife knows more about fishing then you!

Offline wyopro

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 11, 2015, 12:52 PM »
Like Cat Fish??  Isn't there a reason they're referred to as poor mans lobster?

Offline outdreye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 11, 2015, 06:54 PM »
it was the last thing i thought they tasted like I've only had walleye, perch, brown, rainbow, catfish and crappie not it that order and ling are in the top three. i'm guessing you either have no taste buds left or you don't know how to coo. Sorry if this offenses you but it's one of them.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Dec 13, 2015, 09:08 AM »
it was the last thing i thought they tasted like I've only had walleye, perch, brown, rainbow, catfish and crappie not it that order and ling are in the top three. i'm guessing you either have no taste buds left or you don't know how to coo. Sorry if this offenses you but it's one of them.

Some people like to eat Drum also-  Nuff said!
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline rskendallxc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 18, 2015, 02:43 PM »

Solid grammar and spelling :blink:. To me, ling prepared the way I prepare it, tastes similar to catfish, which I love.

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 19, 2015, 07:07 PM »
Drum taste great, the people who bash it have never even tried it in my opinion.  Or they kept one and couldn't clean it properly so they think they are trash fish.

Ling do not taste like catfish at all in my opinion.  It has a different texture and taste.... almost a hint of sweetness in the meat.  Hence the whole "poor man lobster"

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Eating fish!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 19, 2015, 07:40 PM »
Took this out of the picture thread. Continue on!  ;D

Offline SDFlagChaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 19, 2015, 09:54 PM »
Will somebody please catch and bring me a ling?  I hear that people boil the meat in a mixture of sprite and water and then dip it in some melted butter. Sounds delicious.

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 19, 2015, 10:01 PM »
I tried it.  It sure is not no poor mans lobster. 
Don

Offline Special

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Old School
« Reply #10 on: Dec 19, 2015, 10:13 PM »
In my opinoin is texture. Almost the same and Great, Tast not bad. Hey guys if we can lets have some at the hut party at boysen!!!!!
No one left behind.     

Offline Adkrs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 19, 2015, 10:20 PM »
Both ling (burbot) and freshwater drum are delicious. First one I caught was tossed back because I didn't know what it was. Looked ugly and slimy. Did some research, learned about them, cooked one...fantastic! I'd say similar to walleye. More meat on them. Spring bullhead would be a decent comparison.
Beer will get you through times of no ice better than ice will get you through times of no beer...

Offline wyotoach

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 21, 2015, 10:38 PM »
Will somebody please catch and bring me a ling?  I hear that people boil the meat in a mixture of sprite and water and then dip it in some melted butter. Sounds delicious.

Only boil for about a minute and put under cold water immediately to stop the cooking process or they'll just flake apart. I do this with largemouths and northerns occasionally.... GREAT!

If someone brings you a ling I'll bring the beer so I can try it too!

Offline Dorado

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 22, 2015, 03:55 PM »
IMHO the whole boiling thing is not a good way to cook them.  I think baked or fried, just like you would any other white fleshed fish is the best way, they are very good.

One thing I learned is DO NOT gut them!  Their organs are pretty really stinky, and can taint the meat if you gut them out.  Best technique is to pull the skin off with a pair of pliers, then filet them, leaving their guts intact.......

Offline rskendallxc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 23, 2015, 10:35 AM »
IMHO the whole boiling thing is not a good way to cook them.  I think baked or fried, just like you would any other white fleshed fish is the best way, they are very good.

One thing I learned is DO NOT gut them!  Their organs are pretty really stinky, and can taint the meat if you gut them out.  Best technique is to pull the skin off with a pair of pliers, then filet them, leaving their guts intact.......

+1 Couldn't have said it better myself!

Offline LingEater

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 23, 2015, 11:18 AM »
I have heard that some people let them freeze, cut them into disks and then pop the fillet portion out of the disk, ultimately ending up with many small pieces that resemble scallops.  I'm temped to try this method given the difficulty of filleting a burbot, but the quality of the flesh will suffer if frozen.  I do agree, however, that burbot guts are real nasty and the disk method may lead to contamination, but freezing them may help minimize the taint.  Perhaps someone has a trick to filleting those things?

Offline massNtrash

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 23, 2015, 11:24 AM »
This is a good video on how to clean one. This is the method that I use although I don't bother with the belly meat.

Offline LingEater

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 23, 2015, 12:00 PM »
That's pretty much how I do it too.  I have a nail on the porch that I hang the burbot on to help with the skin pull. 

Offline Doz601

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 23, 2015, 04:12 PM »
Hello my name is Dillon new to the site is ocean a decent place to catch ling never been there before ?

Offline Kbonewyo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 01, 2016, 01:36 PM »
I have only eaten one Ling I caught off of Boysen (don't get down there much) but it was tasty with some garlic pepper and butter! Need to get down there for some more one day.

Offline Super-ice-bird

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • That's a fifth next to that brown!
« Reply #20 on: Jan 02, 2016, 09:21 AM »
I have tried ling boiled before. I now skip the boiling and just cook in butter and garlic.
Come on fish!

Offline elkhunter62

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 04, 2016, 06:33 AM »
Walleye or pan fish deep fried!!!!

Offline Browndog1225

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 06, 2016, 09:30 PM »
I wish we had more waters with Ling in them not only are they tasty they fight well. Don't ever put them on a chain stringer they will twist till it breaks.

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Jan 06, 2016, 11:11 PM »
Nabbed a few of them from the Gorge a week ago and fried them up in a light batter... mixed the fried cuts into white rice... So tasty!!!

Offline mackinawfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 08, 2016, 10:37 PM »
Ling I have had from the Gorge were tasty!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.