Author Topic: Underwater light questions.  (Read 1727 times)

Offline burck17

• Team IceShanty Regular
Underwater light questions.
« on: Dec 18, 2015, 11:34 PM »
Simple question really, I am looking to get underwater lights for night fishing and maybe cloudy days.

1. Has anyone used them and do they work for all species. ( mostly concerned with perch and walleye)

2. I am deciding between 2 models ab 80 lumen and a 250 which would work better?

I tried to search but found very little relevant information, however if someone else finds some pls link me to it.
Thanks

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society

Offline burck17

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Underwater light questions.
« Reply #2 on: Dec 19, 2015, 12:18 AM »
Looking at this in particular, http://www.cabelas.com/product/quarrow-reg-led-fishing-lights/2066921.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Faerators-bait-keepers-fish-lights%2F_%2FN-1102360%2FNo-0%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_105544980%3FrecordsPerPage%3D18&No=0  found the are popular for crappie but not much info on perch and walleye. I feel like 80 lumen would be better but not positive yet

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #3 on: Dec 19, 2015, 12:55 AM »
So, you had already seen all those others and read the testimonials ?       ;)2

Those prices are wallet friendly, ha.      The plus is, Cabela's will usually allow returns, if the results aren't up to your standards.

Free shipping until midnight.>>>>>>>>>

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Dec 19, 2015, 02:10 AM »
I have used green lights at night ...pulled up many crappies ...and gills... but yet to get perch ....the new LED ones should be much brighter than my old bulb type... for $ 20 bucks seem cheap enough to give it a try .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #5 on: Dec 19, 2015, 07:07 AM »

I have used lights at night for Crappie and had good success. But Walleye are different, they are skittish when
            it comes to light.

IW

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #6 on: Dec 19, 2015, 09:11 AM »
light is light get what you can afford.  you can also make your own pretty easy.

we didnt have mush success with eyes either.  all other types of fish we tried reacted positively to them.  even big gills that never bit there before at night!  for what its worth, we only tried the eyes a couple times.  if you buy white light, color can be changed with saran wrap.  i like green, blue, and white lights.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline chukkrok

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 19, 2015, 09:26 AM »
I have a 240 LED light, and it will light up a nice area..and it doesn't draw fishfinder battery down very much at all.I would go with the biggest one you can afford..

Offline Birchbeard

• IceShanty Rookie
  • The tug is the drug
« Reply #8 on: Dec 19, 2015, 10:16 AM »
Has anyone heard of using a light for smelting? I would imagine it would improve fishing

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 19, 2015, 05:22 PM »
Another thing to check is what your state regulations are regarding the use of light to attract fish.

Lights do attract fish, but hey may not work for all species, so try and see what work best for what you are after.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline theripper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 19, 2015, 08:32 PM »
Has anyone heard of using a light for smelting? I would imagine it would improve fishing
[/quote
I use a underwater light for smelting. They do work nice for that.

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #11 on: Dec 19, 2015, 08:39 PM »
used a 1000watt halogen in the softwater season it attracted bait fish and bugz which attracted predators from lake run rainbows to walleyes and catfeesh
the later it got the more the fish swarmed never used light under ice
GOD BLESS
mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline WaterFox

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 19, 2015, 09:00 PM »
Do you guys drop them right down the hole under the tent or in another hole just outside where you are?

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #13 on: Dec 20, 2015, 06:38 AM »
we drop it 2 ft and fish around it.  most fish will be at the edge but i have caught them rt by the light a couple times.
like this one-

you will get more fish if your not in a shanty.  spreading the dead sticks out, to cover big area, is way more productive.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline ChaumontMasters

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 21, 2015, 12:51 AM »

i set mine up like this
Chaumont Masters
    Master Class Outfitting

www.ChaumontMasters.co m
www.Facebook.com/ChaumontMasters

Offline ChaumontMasters

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 21, 2015, 12:52 AM »
Chaumont Masters
    Master Class Outfitting

www.ChaumontMasters.co m
www.Facebook.com/ChaumontMasters

Offline Cbass123

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 21, 2015, 10:21 AM »
Has anyone ever tried using glowsticks?  I've never tried, but have been curious.  Not sure how bright they would be at such a low temp.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #17 on: Dec 21, 2015, 10:31 AM »
i wouldn't try them (glow sticks) for two reasons, one is they are not that bright or put out enough lumen's and the other is cold stops the way they work. you can freeze them and reuse them later. some thing like putting chemical hand warmers into a zip lock baggie and removing the air allows reuse too.

the idea of artificial light is to bring plankton so fish that eat them will come to the light and then bigger fish and so on. i fish where there is plankton and no light needed and watch fish swim up and down in the plankton looking for some thing to eat. plankton is a great thing to have.
artificial light would take longer to make it all happen, but it would work if there are plankton to call in.

my experience with plankton that naturally occur is they start at the bottom of the lake and move up slowly as they become more abundant. so with a corded light, it will be trying to move them higher in the water column than they naturally occur in.
you can see them on sonars and when they get thick, you use a larger jig and move it more and further to try to get the fish to see it thru the "fog" of plankton.

no light used. i have one, but don't need it or use it.
the smile shaped red line near the bottom is a fish working the plankton and was a nice sized crappie i caught. he was moving to my size 5 kodiak mikes tiger glow blue. it's cool to see it find my jig and then move under it to take it.

plankton start after dark about an hour after sunset or less on one lake and about 2 hours before sun set and deep in another lake. by saying they start, i mean where there are enough of them to show on sonar. they are there most times, but spread out and deep or under the silt or what ever they have to hide under in the bright day light hours.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.