The ice fishing Wisconsin boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: First Ice  (Read 11574 times)

Offline upnortfishing

• IceShanty Rookie
First Ice
« on: Nov 29, 2015, 10:16 PM »
Fished today on 2.5-3 inches busted through about 60 feet of 1" ice in 4-6 inches of water to get onto the solid ice. Caught an 18" walleye jigging with a slender spoon. Few fish on tip-ups as well felt really good to be walking on (hard)water though and the fish were really just a bonus. More pre-cip coming tomorrow night and warm weather this week I can see ice conditions degrading.

If you decide to go on the hunt for ice please be careful. Make sure you go with a friend first ice is no place for loners. Spud hard, make sure you know the lake, plan for the worst bring throw rope, pfd, change of clothes leave cellphone / things you don't want to get wet on land. Even taking precautions it is still very dangerous please be safe.

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
Re: First Ice
« Reply #1 on: Nov 30, 2015, 10:49 AM »
Fished today on 2.5-3 inches busted through about 60 feet of 1" ice in 4-6 inches of water to get onto the solid ice. Caught an 18" walleye jigging with a slender spoon. Few fish on tip-ups as well felt really good to be walking on (hard)water though and the fish were really just a bonus. More pre-cip coming tomorrow night and warm weather this week I can see ice conditions degrading.

If you decide to go on the hunt for ice please be careful. Make sure you go with a friend first ice is no place for loners. Spud hard, make sure you know the lake, plan for the worst bring throw rope, pfd, change of clothes leave cellphone / things you don't want to get wet on land. Even taking precautions it is still very dangerous please be safe.

Where are you up there?

Offline upnortfishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 30, 2015, 01:38 PM »
Was just south-southeast of minocqua on a pretty small lake I'd rather not name.

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #3 on: Nov 30, 2015, 03:49 PM »
Was just south-southeast of minocqua on a pretty small lake I'd rather not name.

No worries. I'm NE of Minocqua about 45 minutes on a 650 acre, we're just froze over on Friday.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #4 on: Nov 30, 2015, 07:24 PM »
We got some small lakes frozen over here around Hayward as well, but due to deer hunting and work I have not checked ice thickness yet. One small shallow lake I drive by has been frozen over now for almost a week.

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 30, 2015, 07:29 PM »
at least someone has ice      the squirrels are still water skiing on the lakes down here

Offline upnortfishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 30, 2015, 07:36 PM »
I really feel for you guys down south it was 2 weeks later than I was out last year and I was going as far north as it took to find ice luckily we found it at the 2nd lake we checked.

Offline PRICE COUNTY STRIKE ZONE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 30, 2015, 11:07 PM »
By the looks of the forecast, I'm guessing it isn't gonna last long. The post in general chit chat section of the extended forecast didn't look good either. Someone posted this link.   http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/an-early-look-at-the-winter-forecast/vi-BBnf8pj?ocid=U147DHP
     Beer: So much more than a breakfast drink.  - Homer Simpson

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
« Reply #8 on: Dec 01, 2015, 12:37 PM »
Lake Mason in Briggsville was iced over Sunday morning. So the water temps are good now we just need some cold nights to thicken it up.

Offline RapidsJigger24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 01, 2015, 07:25 PM »
I've been watching the forecast for Phillips, WI like a hawk.  I had plans on coming up this weekend but I'm not sure if it's worth the drive anymore.  We had some people fishing in the shallow stump bays of the lake the my families cabin is on Sunday on 2-3 inches of good clear ice.  Anybody up in that neck of the woods have a report for what this winter storm dumped?  I heard there wasn't much snow but quite a bit of rain.  Any info would be excellent!
"Got me a marlin!"

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #10 on: Dec 02, 2015, 08:30 PM »
I'm about a hour west of phillips we only got about 2-3 inches of snow and snow rain it pretty much melted on top of the ice on the lakes that were frozen over, kind of like a slush layer on top of the clear ice. It has frozen now so it doesn't look pretty but it did add a couple of inches of ice. I am going to check ice thickness on a couple of lakes tomorrow at lunch time. Hoping to ice fish this Saturday and Sunday.

Offline RapidsJigger24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 02, 2015, 09:06 PM »
eriksat1,

Thanks for the news!  My old man and I planned on heading up to fish Friday and, conditions allowing, Saturday.  I'd love to hear what you find when you check the ice depths in your neck of the woods.

I feel like if I don't get out this weekend it's going to be a LONG wait before I get the chance again.
"Got me a marlin!"

Offline upnortfishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 02, 2015, 09:42 PM »
The snow could have been the end for what little ice we have I am so happy that it didn't dump on us up here. I am pretty sure I will be able to fish this weekend.

Offline RapidsJigger24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 02, 2015, 10:01 PM »
Upnort, where are you located? I'm not asking for a honey hole or anything of the sorts, just curious in case the lake I have in mind doesn't work out I have a back-up plan!
"Got me a marlin!"

Offline upnortfishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 03, 2015, 09:55 AM »
I am located in Wausau but as I mentioned had to go up near Minocqua to find ice. No idea on current ice conditions it's been pretty warm but I'm hoping there's been some ice made this week.

Where were you planning to go?

Offline smbrickner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 03, 2015, 10:16 AM »
Sorry guys, this warm weather is all my fault.

I bought a new Auger and Shanty so now we won't get decent ice.
If you want a country run by religion....Move to Iran.

Offline upnortfishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 03, 2015, 10:57 AM »
There is ice you just have to find it, I am lucky to be 1-2 hours from it. I really feel bad for the guys down south though.

Offline smbrickner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 03, 2015, 11:03 AM »
There is ice you just have to find it, I am lucky to be 1-2 hours from it. I really feel bad for the guys down south though.

I won't go on less than 4 inches.  I'm way too big to risk it.
If you want a country run by religion....Move to Iran.

Offline upnortfishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 03, 2015, 12:53 PM »
Everyone has their own comfort level as far as safe ice goes, and that is part of the reason I do not like to tell people what lake I was on. At this time of year everyone needs to be using a spud and deciding for themselves if it is safe. First ice isn't for everyone.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #19 on: Dec 03, 2015, 01:10 PM »
I just went and checked 3 small lakes, NOT GOOD!, one lake 3/4" no good, another maybe 3" but already honeycombed and does not look good at all. I'm not going to risk it this weekend. I just might take my boat out though the big lakes are still wide open. We need cold weather like 0° cold. It would be ok with me if the lakes just completely opened again and start over making good clear ice. I guess that wet snow and rain mix along with mild temps killed it.

Offline RapidsJigger24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 03, 2015, 01:29 PM »
Thanks for all the responses on this and sorry for hijacking the thread.

upnort we  have a family cabin on Solberg in Phillips.  We usually do pretty well on gills/crappies in a big shallow stump bay at first ice.  Looking more and more like it's not going to happen though.

I really want to catch some fish through the ice...but I don't want anybody to have to come fishing for me through the ice.

This weather is killing me!
"Got me a marlin!"

Offline AST

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Dec 03, 2015, 05:35 PM »
I am really hoping to fish Carroll lake near Minocqua the 19th/20th. Have to drive almost 5 hours to get there so not going if things are iffy. This really sucks. Just don't have it in me to dig the boat back out and fish open water. Dangit!!

Offline upnortfishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 03, 2015, 06:14 PM »
I am just hoping the snow stays away and the overnight temps trend a bit colder. Pretty confident I will be fishing this weekend and fishing the lake I want to the weekend after.

Offline PRICE COUNTY STRIKE ZONE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 03, 2015, 07:24 PM »
Thanks for all the responses on this and sorry for hijacking the thread.

upnort we  have a family cabin on Solberg in Phillips.  We usually do pretty well on gills/crappies in a big shallow stump bay at first ice.  Looking more and more like it's not going to happen though.

I really want to catch some fish through the ice...but I don't want anybody to have to come fishing for me through the ice.

This weather is killing me!
I'm just north of Phillips in Park Falls. There's a little ice around. Enough to get on the edge of the lake, but the next few days are supposed to be in the 40's so probably won't last long. 😢
     Beer: So much more than a breakfast drink.  - Homer Simpson

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #24 on: Dec 04, 2015, 08:29 AM »
I'm just north of Phillips in Park Falls. There's a little ice around. Enough to get on the edge of the lake, but the next few days are supposed to be in the 40's so probably won't last long. 😢

How often do you wonder over to St. Croix? I'd be there every day at lunch.

Offline Michaelo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Dec 04, 2015, 10:09 AM »
Looking like highs in the 40s for the next week. Only good thing about it is it should melt all the crappy ice of the lakes then we can only hope for a cold snap to but some good solid clear ice on the lakes.

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #26 on: Dec 04, 2015, 11:43 AM »
Looking like highs in the 40s for the next week. Only good thing about it is it should melt all the crappy ice of the lakes then we can only hope for a cold snap to but some good solid clear ice on the lakes.

and melt off any slush so when it's freezing at night, it freezes up clean. I can't wait really.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #27 on: Dec 12, 2015, 04:10 PM »
Well some of the small lakes that were frozen over are wide open again. So here we go again for first ice. Looks like starting Wednesday we will have below freezing temps for the highs and lows around 12°. The lakes are ready just need some darn cold weather. Hopefully we have ice to fish by next weekend.

Offline sturboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Dec 13, 2015, 09:29 AM »
Hello ice-folks,
A bay froze to 3 inches on a small lake near Hayward so I tip-upped several times. Only caught one 17" walleye and was getting a bit discouraged. On Dec 5th had a flag and a long, long fight (6 lb leader) which resulted in a 41"  muskie! On a walleye sucker. Back she went, but what fun. Now I'm psyched again, but have to wait for the ice to come back.

Also went shopping for the first time ever on Black Friday. to L and M Fleet in Hayward. My wife drew a 25% off coupon and they had the Clam Nanook Thermal on sale for 419, so with discount it was only $315. Good start to the season!

Good luck and safe fishing to all.

-Sturboy

Offline crazy4crappie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Dec 18, 2015, 06:35 AM »
How are the lakes around Minocqua doing? Any ice yet?
I'm what you would call an ice fishing freak.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.