The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: about these off-set handles  (Read 601 times)

Offline icefishnrancher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Perch, the only white meat!
about these off-set handles
« on: Nov 25, 2015, 10:10 PM »
I don't see why I couldn't make one, what is the advantage?   Is the off set the same distance from center both ways, if you follow what I mean?

Offline Sharp Nils

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
Re: about these off-set handles
« Reply #1 on: Nov 26, 2015, 07:49 AM »
  Its a matter of body mechanics.   
Not only are you using two arms instead of one to rotate the drill, more importantly your using your whole upper body to your core and into your hips.   

Balance,  we need balance.  If you had a bicycle with one peddle longer then the other what would that feel like?
Frank DeLuca

[email protected]

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #2 on: Nov 26, 2015, 08:06 AM »
with drill adapters, we don't need any handles, except for if your drill or battery goes bad on ice.

Offline mushroom_capd_1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 26, 2015, 08:20 AM »
I broke down and ordered an offset 6 in. fin-bore III. I have an older 8 in. Eskimo barracuda that has hand grips on the top and bottom handles but it is an inline handle and not offset. When drilling with that inline handle you can tell one arm is doing more than the other. I've never tried the offset handles but after reading how much easier it is drilling with a smaller diameter auger with an offset handle I had to bite. I've been wanting  a smaller hand auger for a few years now anyway, so why not pick up one with an offset while I can. Kind of kicking myself for not getting a offset handle from strikemaster a few years ago when they had them.

Offline 77tech

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 26, 2015, 02:43 PM »
Rancher you're right you can make one yourself.  I made one for  my eskimo 6 inch that is the mora look alike with the adjustable handle with the cross bolt.  I used 1/2 inch black pipe and copied the angles from the original handle.  I originally offset the handles 7 1/2 inches using the same offset as the original handle and didn't like it.  Kind of unwieldy to use.  After getting the dimensions of a finbore I adjusted the offsets.  The dimensions I was given for the finbore was 6 1/2 inches for the lower handle and 5 1/2 inches for the upper handle from the center line.  I went from the pipe to a 1/2 inch bolt and then used a coupling nut which I put in the vise and filed the corners off until it fit in the auger and drilled a cross hole.  My handle bushing is .68x - .700" the I.D. of the auger is .713" the original handle O.D. was .69x".  I recently found that 3/8 black pipe O.D. is .67x" and I think I am going to cut the lower part of my handle off and replace it with some 3/8 pipe and make it adjustable for length.  Only thing with 3/8 is it's hard to find anyone that carry's anything longer than 6" pipe nipples unless you can find a plumber that stocks it and can cut you a longer piece.  Think I'm going to try welding three 6's together and see if I can keep them straight enough to work.  I also welded a washer on each end of the upper and lower offsets I just took some washers that were close and took a rat tail and/or half round file to them till they fit. I then cut a piece of 1" pvc which I cut a slit in length wise with a hand saw and took a heat gun to them until they were soft enough to work over the handle's and then close up again once I had them on. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.