Author Topic: Impressed with Walmart.....  (Read 2670 times)

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
Impressed with Walmart.....
« on: Nov 22, 2015, 05:46 PM »

Was surprised Walmart had some new ice lures and quality brands this year. Kinda impressed usually they carry cheap cheap junk. Not this year though.

Also they had some Celsius rod combos......I always thought Celsius was crap, but they had some gear that looked fairly quality.

Offline TacticalKeychains

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Just a guy in his garage, trying to make a living.
Re: Impressed with Walmart.....
« Reply #1 on: Nov 22, 2015, 05:47 PM »
I went to walmart last week (been 5 years) and I wasn't impressed with the "experience" however I totally forgot they had fishing stuff... oh man... now I gotta go back! (fort dodge walmart)

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 22, 2015, 05:50 PM »

Here is what I picked up. First I seen of the Lunker brand stuff. Was wanting to try the magic bean to.

Offline TacticalKeychains

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Just a guy in his garage, trying to make a living.
« Reply #3 on: Nov 22, 2015, 05:51 PM »
Yep, headed there tomorrow! Tigger-x and lindy!

Offline graybeard1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 22, 2015, 05:52 PM »
I noticed the Marshalltown store had more than usual also, but not that much.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 22, 2015, 05:53 PM »
Yep, headed there tomorrow! Tigger-x and lindy!

Yep. I've always found the Lindy, Northland, Rapala, VMC brands to be of good quality. Suprised Walmart carried them.

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 22, 2015, 05:55 PM »
I think I've only seen a few Walmart Superstores carry some ice fishing gear here in MI. Same with Meijer. I think they might have 1 or 2 quality rods and that's it. Don't have a great selection of tackle but some of it is quality. Same with their accessories. I think the only good thing about them is you can get some pretty good clearance deals when they want to make room for their spring stuff.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 22, 2015, 06:29 PM »
no walmart in MA carries ice fishing gear. at least the ones around me.

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 22, 2015, 06:45 PM »
Yep. I've always found the Lindy, Northland, Rapala, VMC brands to be of good quality. Suprised Walmart carried them.

They have always been pretty pitiful Wayne.  They usually don't even have any ice line.  I'll check it out next time I'm in town.

Offline Dinosaur1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 22, 2015, 06:55 PM »
I'm pretty sure the Swedish Pimples, Lindy's, etc., are the same stuff that they sell other places, just for less money. Our local Walmart always starts the season with a good selection.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #10 on: Nov 22, 2015, 06:58 PM »
I think I've only seen a few Walmart Superstores carry some ice fishing gear here in MI. Same with Meijer. I think they might have 1 or 2 quality rods and that's it. Don't have a great selection of tackle but some of it is quality. Same with their accessories. I think the only good thing about them is you can get some pretty good clearance deals when they want to make room for their spring stuff.

The Marquette WalMart store is usually really loaded with ice gear but, it's a drive, ha.     ;)2

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 22, 2015, 06:58 PM »
wait till it's all on clearance the price will drop this will happen so don't buy every thing out yet...lol's the night manager at the wallmarts by me does fish  he has fished lakers on a few lake with tip ups and around here in south east Michigan... I fish with the guy all the time crappie fishing and etc... so there staff has some knowable stuff to them but they get lack of support from corporate... but wait till they clear it all out and gobble it all up....   

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Nov 22, 2015, 07:18 PM »
If you guy's are looking for a certain Ice fishing item check out Walmart's web site. Type in the search and you will be surprised what you will find.
<===Lefty===

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #13 on: Nov 22, 2015, 07:19 PM »
Once in a while they have a gem.  Clearance is always great.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline perch_stalker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 22, 2015, 07:31 PM »
Our Walmart last year had a 20 ft. section of all good tackle. Rapala, Northland, Clam,  CJ&S, VMC, Sitka, and others. And I didn't see much for the crappy Celsius junk either. They carried mostly quality rod & reel combos and it was quite impressive. I haven't went in there yet this year since they have stocked the winter fishing gear, but I would imagine it should be good again. But this year being a member of the Shanty, I've ordered all my tackle and supplies from sponsors of this great site!

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Nov 23, 2015, 08:33 AM »
The Wal Mart in Carroll, IA has had a good selection for years now. The jig brands are always pretty much the same but this year's rod, combo, and tip up selection is much improved from last year. Still, though, I keep my purchases of sporting goods to a minimum there, as I'd rather support other companies.

Offline SnoHam13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Nov 23, 2015, 01:12 PM »
The Marquette WalMart store is usually really loaded with ice gear but, it's a drive, ha.     ;)2

Houghton / Handcock  has a real good sporting goods manager and keeps it well stock
 ;D
SnoHam13

Offline Fisherman-Andy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Nov 23, 2015, 01:15 PM »
Some walmarts up here in MN and Wi carry a small decent amount of ice fishing equipment.  I've seen Frabill shelters, otter shelters, Strikemaster augers and more being sold in Walmart, it just depends on the area.  Some will have a good selection of lures and bait.

Offline gsp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Nov 23, 2015, 01:16 PM »
You guys down south have some pretty sweet stuff at walmart compared to the stuff we get up here, its pretty sad.

Offline ifish4fishwithteeth

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Nov 23, 2015, 01:36 PM »
only good thing about them is you can get some pretty good clearance deals when they want to make room for their spring stuff.

Seems like the Walmart near me only stocks the shelves at the beginning of the season and then never re-stocks. The only things left for clearance sales are junk nobody wanted.

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • INSTAGRAM: MATTACHUSETTS
« Reply #20 on: Nov 23, 2015, 01:54 PM »
I find walmart wont restock a lot because unless they do inventory they don't realize half their crap has been stolen as opposed to sold so they don't know to replenish. I noticed my local walmart picking up their game on jigs, accessories etc. but the rod reel combos are still JUNK

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #21 on: Nov 23, 2015, 02:58 PM »
id be impressed if walmart even had a ice fishing section around here.or decent fishing anything..the only thing I get from there that's worth anything is solar collector green  25# line for catfishing.they carry tons of spools of that for some reason and I get the hot shot side planers there too.but you can tell they don't know/care what sells in the fishing department.

Offline Lester LaMunion

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Nov 24, 2015, 04:06 AM »
If you are impressed with Walmart you should see a Runnings store the one in Rome NY. has two full ends of just Lindy jigs,about 12 feet of Northland jigs, 4 foot of Rapalas, a whole end of VMC, just to name a few. They also have 14 ice shantys set up.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #23 on: Nov 24, 2015, 05:03 AM »
If you are impressed with Walmart you should see a Runnings store the one in Rome NY. has two full ends of just Lindy jigs,about 12 feet of Northland jigs, 4 foot of Rapalas, a whole end of VMC, just to name a few. They also have 14 ice shantys set up.

How are the prices at Runnings ?...sounds like the Farms n Fleets west of us NYrs. Walmart sometimes has decent on line pricing .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline icebucketjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Nov 24, 2015, 05:32 AM »
Hardly any ice fishing gear in most OHIO Walmart stores from what I've seen & heard.... but the trip to them to gaze at the odd-ball customers sure is a thrill.
Ice-Fisherman: We're all highly addicted, shivering, psychotic patients in the asylum of the frigid.

Offline lake snake

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Nov 24, 2015, 11:02 AM »
 My local Walmart here in NH was pathetic. Mostly tip-ups with very little tackle. I guess I'll check out the Runnings here in town.

Offline English

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Nov 24, 2015, 11:46 AM »
I was less than impressed with the local walmart last year but I still looked!  They were just starting to put things out yesterday when I was there. Got a bunch of stuff at the local L & M and they seem to have a much improved selection this year. Wish ice would hurry up and get here so I quit buying stuff there!

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #27 on: Nov 24, 2015, 12:23 PM »
LOL, one year at a Home Depot, I saw fishing lures...LOL 4' shelf front and back.  Brand new stuff.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline flatironfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Nov 24, 2015, 01:08 PM »
Seems like the Walmart near me only stocks the shelves at the beginning of the season and then never re-stocks. The only things left for clearance sales are junk nobody wanted.

Heck, Gander Mountain and Bass Pro does the same thing!  I went to a Gander last December and their shelves were darn near picked clean and what was once 4 isles of ice stuff was down to a half isle of junk that no one wanted.  When I asked one of the guys in fishing they told me "that's it for this year!" The end of December is when ice fishing is just starting here!  I would think they'd stock stuff through February!!  Oh well, thank God for FishUSA!!

"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars." - Unknown

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Nov 24, 2015, 03:56 PM »

funny thing is I got my school ice  blue rods I  like to use I got it  there 20 year ago at the Howell Walmart they use to have a ton more now a lot less. this is when they were in the lord and tailor building  north side of grand river now there bigger building on the south side of grand river ave in Howell and since then carry a ton less stuff go figure?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.