The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Need Some Input..  (Read 653 times)

Offline zoombaiter25

• IceShanty Rookie
Need Some Input..
« on: Nov 20, 2015, 07:39 AM »
I've been putting money aside specifically for ice fishing and would like to make a bigger investment. I'm stuck between upgrading my shanty or my flasher..

I've got an older Shappell Rover 1.0 that works fine for the amount of gear I drag out, but it's such a pain to fish out of because of the limited space. I've got a Vexilar FL-8 that has worked great for the generally shallow waters I fish, but I'd like some more features like zoom mode for deeper water and better target separation.

I've been bouncing back in forth between a Marcum LX6 or an Otter XT Cabin.. Trying to get some insight/influence or maybe some other quality 2-man shanties to consider for the $400-600 price range. I hand pull all of my gear out but I'm normally dragging stuff less than 500 yards. I'm younger so the shanty weight isn't a huge concern. I'm also not interested in switching to a graph style finder.

Thanks in advance!

-C
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade...
and try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" ~ Ron White

Offline DLB

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Need Some Input..
« Reply #1 on: Nov 20, 2015, 08:02 AM »
Depending on the amount of funds available, buy one of the items new and the other used if enough is left.  A used shanty would be easier to see if there are any problems but even small problems, a rip or two in the tent isn't a big problem.  They can be taped over.  As long as the tub is in good condition it will fit your needs  Its just an ice fishing tool, looks are secondary. 
You can observe alot by watching.
Yogi Berra

Offline SKIFFLAKEJIMMY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 20, 2015, 08:16 AM »
Check Craiglist for the shanty. I know Knutson's has used shantys sometimes. Don't know how far you are from Brooklyn. Good luck.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline 3300

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #3 on: Nov 20, 2015, 08:18 AM »
so you kind of answered your own question/concern being your sonar is limiting your fishing. so you need a sonar.
the lx6 is still on sale at sportsmansguide sort of, you get 10% sale with a code they give you and free ship, then if you join for 30 day trial, you get another 10% off. you can cancel the trial any time or stay on it for 30$ to get 10% every thing on top of and other sales or full priced items. it's the "sams" of online shopping.
so 20% off of 600$ is 120$ so you can get it for 480$. this leaves 120$ towards a bigger shack.

i have three styles of shanties and like the flip for myself, but use the hub if i take some one but it stays put so i scout or go to where i know the water.

the shappell fx100 is like the rover but has more floor space and it replaced the rover. if you like that brand look at the fx150 and the widehouse hubs. i bought the wide house 5600 and it's nice and roomy and the doors are the best there are and nice for bigger people too. you can stand up and walk around in it in a t-shirt. just use a sled to pull it or build a smitty sled to pull your gear until you buy a sled and put it on a smitty sled when there's enough snow to slow you down.
http://shappell.com/iceshelters/fxseriesflips.html
i have the shappell: wh5600, fx100 and dx3000. the dx sits looking stupid in the basement feeling left out.

one of my buddies has the rover and he is about 280# and never said he was cramped in it.

Offline zoombaiter25

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 20, 2015, 08:45 AM »
Thanks guys. I'm hearing what I was kind of expecting. Thanks for the heads up on that deal, 3300! But, on your point of your friend and his Rover, it doesn't have a lot of room to the sides for multiple holes.

I tend to do a bunch of running around when I fish anyways and don't spend much time fishing from the shanty, but I've definitely been hunting CL for bigger shanties!
and try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" ~ Ron White

Offline 3300

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Nov 20, 2015, 08:52 AM »
he's fishing some what like i do except he sets up and stays put any more. i like to move around.
he fishes with three holes just like i do. his are a straight line and i make a shallow triangle. never the less, he does use three holes in his rover and the center is for the sonar.

we keep all the other gear forward and line the corners first with heater and buckets to set the sonar on. i use hooks on the front tube to hold more gear and the over head tube too. i use reel lights on both of those tubes also on a remote on/off/dimmer switch.

heres some pics from last season that shows his rover folded up (look for this a buddies shack full.) and in house shots of my fx100
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=316792.0

after looking those pics over i got to thinking that maybe you might be using long rods in the flip? we use 19" ul 13 fishing wicked only.

i also noticed my buddy is using my shallow triangle method now too.

Offline Wgorby

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 20, 2015, 08:53 AM »
I agree with the majority on here....get yourself a good flasher, the Marcum LX6 is a great option.  Keep an eye out on CL or FB groups for used shanty's....(West Michigan Fishing Garage Sale is a good FB group to join)

FYI....I run a Marcum LX7....would be a tough day fishing without it.
Follow GorbyGear on FB and Instagram

Offline 3300

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Nov 20, 2015, 09:14 AM »

Offline zoombaiter25

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 20, 2015, 09:18 AM »
I'll have to look into that Shappell rep as well 3300. Thanks again

Seeing that Marcum's have a lot more for power output, do they perform well in shallow water with all that power? I've seen Vexilar's suppression cable for shallower water, so does Marcum LX's have ways to tone down the power?

Offline 3300

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Nov 20, 2015, 10:13 AM »
no not at all.
they are releasing new firmware to help shallow water. that's why these are nice, they can change most any thing with it using software. it's free too. they give or fix or enhance or what ever they want. right now there is a 3 foot missing water for some lx6/7 users and the software will be out early january to make that go away.

UPDATE: they have a 10$ egift card going on right now instead. will have to wait a day or so for the 10% off sale.
just checked their today sales promo

Offline FilletofSoul

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • if its brown its down
« Reply #10 on: Nov 20, 2015, 09:58 PM »
Pick up a hunting blind on sale for your shanty.
But don't quote me on that. I have a drinking problem, I keep running out of beer. I've always been a little bit crazy, but its kept me from going insane.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.