The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Opinions on portable shanties?  (Read 2089 times)

Offline spot

• Team IceShanty Addict
Opinions on portable shanties?
« on: Nov 13, 2015, 08:18 AM »
I was looking at portable shanties (tent type) the other day and I'm thinking about getting one but at the prices they're going for I was hoping to hear people's favorites before plunking down the plastic.

We're ice-walkers so it'll need to be packable on a sled.

Thanks in advance.
May the fish be with you.

Randy

Offline NDiceMan72

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Opinions on portable shanties?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 13, 2015, 08:31 AM »
I just got an Eskimo Quick flip 1 very excited to use it. For 1 person it will be way more portable than my Eskimo Quickfish 3. Just gotta pick your color and size, they are all pretty good- Eskimo, Clam, Frabill, Otter, Shappel. If you can't tell I'm a fan of Eskimo. Take a look at some and post up which ones you are looking at, odds are someone on here has one of what you are looking at and can give you a good review about it.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Nov 13, 2015, 08:45 AM »
Should add your location to profile ...maybe a great deal/retailer out there by you to tire kick ... save some cabbage

Also are you fishing solo ? Hubs are not for run n gunners per se . If your weather gets brutal might want to consider thermal ...little heaver but can make a better experience on the ice. Lots of past post/threads on every make and model out there ...use the search upper left ...just type in the make/model ...youll get the pros and cons of each ... just remember the hub size matters ...a three man hub is a little tight for 3 men ...think bigger ..kinda like camping tents ...height is a gig factor also ...think hunting tents ..I have the Frabill HQ 6'x12' ...300 denier fabric works for me on a camp style fishing day....I like the 6 sided hubs ..I think it would offer you more room and configure better for jigging inside.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 13, 2015, 08:56 AM »
Farm and Fleet has the Frabill Recon 1 man on sale 180.00

Offline flagfishon

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • You should have seen it! It was huge!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 13, 2015, 12:31 PM »
I've been using a Killzone XL (http://www.killzonehunting.com/fishing-gear/killzone-igloo-xl-ice-fishing-shelter.html) for two years now.  It is showing some wear but should be good for one or two more seasons.  Can't beat the price.  With a heater it's cozy as can be.  I've fit 4 in it, but 2 is very comfortable.

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #5 on: Nov 13, 2015, 12:35 PM »
Pretty soon if not already dockside will have their showroom set up.
They are fair on their prices to.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline JiggerDan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 13, 2015, 01:01 PM »
Eskimo Quickfish 2 for me. Just right for 2 adults & a kid. Not too big for me to handle alone when I solo. Eskimo is well known for their excellent customer support. :tipup:
Jesus ain't the only one who walks on water!

Offline spot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 13, 2015, 03:51 PM »
Thanks all!

(didn't realize I didn't have the location set, sorry)

The normal load would be two people, but it sounds like I'd be looking for a four person shanty to be big enough inside that we could stretch our arms without poking each other in the eyes.

May the fish be with you.

Randy

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Nov 13, 2015, 04:02 PM »
Regardless of which Hub shelter you purchase get Eskimo ice anchors ...simply put the best bar none ..no tools needed for installation EZPZ. No frustration trying to get your shelter anchored.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline shiveringjoe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 13, 2015, 04:25 PM »
I have an eskimo quickfish3 and its perfect for 2 people with plenty of room for gear and a heater. You can fish 3 in there but the arrangement makes it tough to fit gear and if you run a heater there is a good chance someone's knee with start smoking (2/2 on that one!). I've fished in an eskimo fatfish4 and that was perfect for 3 people.

Thanks all!

(didn't realize I didn't have the location set, sorry)

The normal load would be two people, but it sounds like I'd be looking for a four person shanty to be big enough inside that we could stretch our arms without poking each other in the eyes.

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 13, 2015, 06:30 PM »
eskimo 949i would be my choice.

Offline perch bait

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lil' Crayfish
« Reply #11 on: Nov 13, 2015, 06:31 PM »
My Dad and I have been using a Clam Bigfoot XL2000 for two years now. It has held up to some pretty stiff wind, with one exception. On the first day of february break last year, one of the clips on the end of a tie-down strap was bent out and the shanty buckled and broke the hub-ball off of one pole. Luckily Clam sells a new hub assembly and it was a quick fix. It is a great shelter if you're going to sit and watch tip-ups all day. We were also able to pick up an old Clam Junior at a garage sale for a very reasonable price, this year. Although it has some substantial rodent damage to the canvas, it is fixable. Seems like a fairly rugged shelter, but I'll have to put it to the ultimate test this winter. It is also very convenient since it folds down into a compact "sled." I will probably build something to hold buckets and an auger on this sled part. It's very light for it's two-person design, and seems like the perfect shanty for hole hopping. In other words, keep an eye out on Craigslist too for possibilities.
Perch bait- a small minnow that can have big results in the ice fishing game.  :icefish:
My Blog: https://jacobcrawford8.wixsite.com/pboutdooradventure

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • INSTAGRAM: MATTACHUSETTS
« Reply #12 on: Nov 16, 2015, 05:09 PM »
got a eskimo fatfish 949 non insulated and loved it all season, no issues with condensation or dripping. but I did notice some of the fabric liner on the inside looked like it was getting cracks or something so I called eskimo and they said they would get me out the newest model when it comes available and to keep the old one and keep using it while I wait for the new one! and last month I was shocked to see the bog ol box at the front door! great company!

Offline wmhunts

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wes McRae
« Reply #13 on: Nov 16, 2015, 05:35 PM »
Eskimo fatfish 949
Great pop-up shanty. I got 4 seasons out of the one I have and I fish ALOT. I may get another season out of the one I have with a little repair to the post pockets. I'm tempted to just buy a new one.
Come on get on the ice fish!!

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 24, 2015, 05:22 AM »
I just bought an Otter cabin flip over. I can't wait for ice to try this baby out !

Offline bowhunter68

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Nov 29, 2015, 12:40 PM »
Fatfish 949i
BOWHUNTER68

Offline oneal

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Nov 29, 2015, 12:55 PM »
 I bought a shappell 5500 before last years first ice and ready for this year.built sturdy,600d,perfect for 2 and all gear.

Offline sonny88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Nov 29, 2015, 03:17 PM »
I have a clam 2 seater that I received as a gift and it's great! It's easy to haul on the ice by hand as long as the snow isn't too deep and fits 2 of us, the heater and the dog without being cramped.

Offline FirstTimer1311

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Live free and fish
« Reply #18 on: Nov 30, 2015, 02:47 PM »
I just picked up a Eskimo quick fish2 for 170 cane with a sled and chair and it seems to be light and easy and good amount of room I had a 9416i before and I could fit a whole family in there and still have room for all my gear lol Eskimo makes great products and the best anchors on he market IMO
Fishing...........even the word is relaxing

Offline Will Vaughan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 05, 2015, 06:33 PM »
I just bought an Otter cabin flip over. I can't wait for ice to try this baby out !

I bought the same thing last year. I chose the bench seat option over the two solo seats and I love mine! I walk out and I can tell you the drag is hard because it's heavy, but to me is well worth it. The material is very durable and if you use a heater they warm up fast. The sled is thick and durable and I found that where you tie in the drag rope, you can use those nubs to put on the tailgate and load into the truck easy with one person. Just forewarning though, if you're dragging out by hand be ready for a workout.

This is my knock against the pull out hub style ones. I had one for a few years and liked it when I was fishing on good days. DO NOT use the hub style when it's very windy, like most days on Champlain. I had a Frabill hub style and one day when jigging for perch on Champlain I had a near disaster. Typical day on Champlain, windy with crazy gusts, and one of those gusts blew the hub right in and almost hit me in the head. Ended up bending and breaking a few bars but would've been a lot worse had that hub smashed my head while fishing alone. If you get a hub style don't use it when it's overly windy out. Probably about 35-45mph gusts that day. Not only could you get hurt, but your shanty will be broken.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #20 on: Dec 06, 2015, 04:47 AM »
I have a Cabelas 6x8 360 and a otter xt650.  The otter is sweet but if there is any snow on the ice you'll want a machine to pull it.  It fishes one guy very comfortably, 2 guys if they are skinny. 

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 06, 2015, 05:47 AM »
I bought the same thing last year. I chose the bench seat option over the two solo seats and I love mine! I walk out and I can tell you the drag is hard because it's heavy, but to me is well worth it. The material is very durable and if you use a heater they warm up fast. The sled is thick and durable and I found that where you tie in the drag rope, you can use those nubs to put on the tailgate and load into the truck easy with one person. Just forewarning though, if you're dragging out by hand be ready for a workout.

Will ,thanks for the one man loading tip !

Offline flagfishon

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • You should have seen it! It was huge!
« Reply #22 on: Dec 06, 2015, 10:47 AM »
Has anyone got one of the new Eskimo Evo's?  I like the hybrid design. 

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #23 on: Dec 06, 2015, 01:45 PM »
Has anyone got one of the new Eskimo Evo's?  I like the hybrid design.
i wrote about this in the general section when i went to pick up my new gander mountain 8x8 insulated hub for 150$.
i checked it out. not impressed with how many rods and different types it uses and how it stows in the sled hogging almost all of the sled space and needing to use ice anchors it to keep the doors in place and having to press buttons on the only bar attached to the tub and where would you keep all of those loose poles. also wind bars (2) in the back that look to be about 1 1/2 diameter. worst part is it's not insulated!

only reason i can see to buy it is if you have nothing and want both but can't make up your mind. imagine setting up your hub and bringing in your flip shanty (leaving the tent down) and sitting in it to fish. that's what the evo is.

a flip is much easier and much faster in every way. the evo is half tub and half hub, but with many draw backs to have it both at the same time.
i'll stay with a hub (i have 2 now) for more than one person and a sled to have every thing in it and flip for going alone and the suitcase shanty for if i need a floor.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.