The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: What Would You Get First?  (Read 2677 times)

Offline uncleshorty

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born up the mountain, raised in a cave...
What Would You Get First?
« on: Nov 08, 2015, 02:36 AM »
I'm going to come into some dough, $300 to $500, soon.

I've got good clothes, boots, tip ups, jigging rod & tackle.  I have a 7" hand auger w/ 3 good sets of blades.  I'm torn on what to get next.  Now keep in mind I'm only in PA for 5 weeks, usually last week of Jan & the month of Feb.  I need a sled, but maybe a flip over would better.  Then there's the flasher/ locator to consider and finally, a drill motor w/clam doo-hickey if I could modify the hand auger.

The way I hard water fish now is to just go out to the places I've caught fish in the spring & fall, which seems kind of hit & miss, but I still catch a few.  I plan to make one major purchase each year for the next few years.  What would you "journeymen" recommend?
Ice fishin' & turtlin's all I crave...

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
Re: What Would You Get First?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 08, 2015, 03:58 AM »
FLASHER!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline smally hunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 08, 2015, 04:15 AM »
Considering we may be limited this winter on ice . I'd say flasher as well . Narrows down the search for fish when limited on time . I look for depth maps online for different lakes . And drill from mid depth toward deeper water first . And that doesn't out me on fish I work shallower . Won't fish a hole until mark something on my flasher

Offline davef

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 08, 2015, 04:20 AM »
I agree with a flasher, but if you would consider used gear I thnik you could get both a flasher and a flip over and not exceed your maximum.

Offline OneMoreFish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 08, 2015, 04:23 AM »
Honestly for $500 dollars you can look on craigslist and easily get yourself a one man flip and a good flasher. I bought an FL-12 on CL last week for $250 and theres a used once Shappell Bayrunner on there right now for $250 that I'm sure you could get $200 for. Shop around man, you can probably get more than you think. Good luck!

Offline Rizzman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 08, 2015, 08:28 AM »
last year I made a smitty sled with a plastic tool box mounted to it. They come in several sizes. all my gear is stored inside and I sit on it while fishing. I also wear a striker flotation suit and have never got too cold. I enjoy fishing out more than inside the flipover. In SW/ NW pa.we don't get nearly the harsh weather and in my opinion this works good. If fishing at night ,then maybe different deal. flipover makes a difference. Hands down some type of electronics is a must . personal choice hear. I fish shallow and prefer a graph others prefer a flasher. Remember in PA you have to walk so weight and ease of pulling thru snow is a big factor. Sled and box can be made for less than $ 75.00.

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 08, 2015, 08:43 AM »
I'd get looking on CL I have found all  for less than 100.00 total

Offline chumster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 08, 2015, 09:31 AM »
Flasher or used graph. Check the sale boards for a used shanty.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Nov 08, 2015, 09:35 AM »
FLASHER!

You'll increase your catch rate ...move when you need to ...also you will see how fish react to your bait...then adjust accordingly ...size/color/cadence etc .You wont be fishing blind .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 08, 2015, 10:00 AM »
latest find was a Si-Tex SH 1 with transducer(add said transducer no good still not tested here yet) anyway I put a new vex 12 degree tranducer on it and looks to be rock solid. I'm getting not only a second echo but a 3rd and 4th echo too. I'll test it in water soon. It is a one color flasher.

Offline TeamTwoSticks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 08, 2015, 10:44 AM »
You can get an fl-18 for 379.95 with free shipping on amazon right now. And it comes with a 12 degree transducer.

http://www.amazon.com/Vexilar-GP1812-FL-18-Degree-Ice-Ducer/dp/B002SW89E2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1447000868&sr=8-1&keywords=vexilar+fl18

Offline WET-KNOTS II

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Nov 08, 2015, 10:51 AM »
99% most of the suggestions u will get its goin to b a flasher.  ;)

Offline BIGCREW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 08, 2015, 10:56 AM »
If I had to choose I would get some type of electronics, I would also search craigslist and the news paper and you might be able to get both, once you fish with electronics you'll never want to fish without them, I know if I were to forget mine I would want to go home, some type of shelter sure is nice to have on those windy days though, depending on what type of sled you have a simple wind break can be made rather easily with some conduit a tarp and a roll of duck tape been there done that, my shelter is fairly large at 6 x 8 its plenty big enough for 2 with room to cook etc.I got it to keep my son interested in ice fishing cuz he doesnt like the cold and I like it myself its not very mobile but I just hole hop and go back to get warm if I have to, and if you plan on taking your wife girlfriend or small kids its well worth it

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 08, 2015, 11:11 AM »
You can get an fl-18 for 379.95 with free shipping on amazon right now. And it comes with a 12 degree transducer.

http://www.amazon.com/Vexilar-GP1812-FL-18-Degree-Ice-Ducer/dp/B002SW89E2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1447000868&sr=8-1&keywords=vexilar+fl18
              I picked up one of these just a while back;should last the rest of my lifetime and does everything you need a flasher to do.

Offline ditzlr79

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If I'm fishing I'm happy
« Reply #14 on: Nov 09, 2015, 06:37 PM »
Flasher will increase your fish and fun for sure! Like others have said, maybe look around and see if you can get a deal to be able to get a flasher and a possible shanty. But, if it comes down to it the flasher would be the more useful piece of equipment imo.  :thumbsup:
There's Ice Fishing, then there's ice and fishing.

Offline anglure

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 10, 2015, 04:24 PM »
FLASHER!
  ( X  10 )   Rip. stop. Rip. stop.... Jiggle Jiggle   Lookout !!  :o  :thumbsup:   

Offline PaWhiskerWacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 11, 2015, 05:43 AM »
I bought my first flasher on CL for $50, it is a vintage Eagle silent sixty two, one color. It was new and still in original box, never used!!!!!!  The main pro's of a flasher are.......you are not looking for where there are fish, look for places there are no fish and avoid those spots, and when you do find fish you can tell their reaction to the bait you present, and switch it up until you start catchin em'.  A flasher will make your days more productive for sure!  Good luck.  If i where to suggest a flasher it would be the lx 5i, dual beam and new wide angle viewing dial......Awesome!

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Nov 13, 2015, 09:14 AM »
FLASHER  They will tell you if there's fish below you or you're on an empty hole. 

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Nov 13, 2015, 09:28 AM »

Now there going for cheaper than a Vex FL-8 SE usually sells for      sweet deal

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Nov 13, 2015, 11:02 AM »
with the money, I would get a flasher. If you have money left over, get a sled. If you can find a good deal on craigs list go for it, I've seen some good deals where guys buy a bunch of gear and decide they don't like the cold and just get rid of it. Look around, might get lucky. But if I was looking for that one thing to get going, it would be a flasher.

Offline legend

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Nov 13, 2015, 11:09 AM »
....ok, what are you waiting for? go get the flasher, lol
I am haunted by waters...

Offline lm26sk

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Subie life!
« Reply #21 on: Nov 15, 2015, 04:00 PM »

Offline NEZ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Good fishing and safe ice
« Reply #22 on: Nov 18, 2015, 09:47 PM »
I would have to say a flasher like most people.  It would also depend on how you fish.  If you just like running tip ups, then a flasher is not quite as high on the list as if you are jigging for panfish, walleyes, trout, etc.  When I started fishing, I bought an "Ice Kicker" for around $20 on ebay.  I attached it to a 6 in Mora and used a 18 volt Milwaukee drill.  I could drill about 15 holes in 12 in of ice per battery. Worked well for several years till got a gas auger.  We bounce around a lot, so drilling 120 holes a day is not uncommon for our group.  In regards to a sled, the flip 2 man flip overs can be difficult to pull pending on what kind of shape you are in.  I have a larger jet sled and really like it and I can carry my shanty in it.  Good luck with your many future purchases.  Nez

Offline NeFiShNeTiMe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Nov 18, 2015, 10:48 PM »
A flasher is a necessity to maximize your ice fishing trip. A shanty will keep you in comfort. A power auger will keep you more mobile. I would look for a decent sonar and a one man flip then look for a cheap gas auger you will be set and ready to chase the schools. Beat of luck tight lines
Ezyjiggin101

Offline Badgerstate36

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Nov 19, 2015, 03:20 AM »
Im going to go against the group on this one and say go with a power auger or a new flip top shelter.  I fished with flashers and theyre cool but Im not convinced that they make you a better fisherman.  Sure, they tell you if theres fish down there but honestly, if you drop your line down the hole and arent getting anything to even play with your bait after 5 minutes, doesnt that tell you that there arent fish there?  To me, flashers are just another cool toy that people have been convinced that they need by some really clever marketing.

Offline chez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Nov 19, 2015, 06:05 AM »
FLASHER FOR SURE ;) ;)

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Nov 19, 2015, 06:28 AM »
badger, it doesn't just tell you if fish are down there, it tells you where fish are down there and what they are doing. You might drop down to the bottom and pull up a foot and jig and not get anything while a school of crappie go by 5 ft above you lure. Or you might be jigging to some fish and they might snub you so you change lures or bait or change your tactic. Like you might jig and a crappie comes in so you jig up a half a foot and the fish follows so you jig up another half a foot. Play cat and mouse. Or slow down you jigging when a perch comes in. Or, it'll tell you when your fishing an empty hole before you spend an hour fishing it. The flasher lets you see what is happening down there.

I would rather sit on a bucket with my flasher than sit in a shelter without it.

Offline deer george

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Nov 19, 2015, 08:23 AM »
Yes by all means get a good flasher,  go out and find some fish then get the rest of the gear you need just to catch a few.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Nov 19, 2015, 01:02 PM »
The guy already has the gear to catch a few. He was wondering which would be better to get next, a sled, a shelter or a flasher.

Offline fishinpreacher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Nov 19, 2015, 01:53 PM »
No doubt,Flasher!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.