New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Hey Fly Tiers, What's In The Vice For Ice?  (Read 45766 times)

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Hey Fly Tiers, What's In The Vice For Ice?
« Reply #210 on: Jan 09, 2016, 09:05 AM »
beercap is that a rubberband fly????

Offline beercap

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #211 on: Jan 09, 2016, 10:22 AM »
beercap is that a rubberband fly????
No its not a rubber band, its a proper rubber leg just extremely thin, as thin as 6/0 thread. Take a look at Senyo's Shaggy Dub from Hareline

Edit - wait I meant the tail, if you were talking about the body, it's a strip of stabilized latex

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #212 on: Jan 09, 2016, 12:23 PM »
it looks  very much like a old pattern we  tied with a wraped  rubber band body or a strip of  latex glove ,was a good producer ....very cool I like it

Offline beercap

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #213 on: Jan 09, 2016, 02:06 PM »
it looks  very much like a old pattern we  tied with a wraped  rubber band body or a strip of  latex glove ,was a good producer ....very cool I like it

Woops, yes I meant latex. This latex won't dry out and crack, I use it for a lot of my rhyacophilia patterns, it's great stuff

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #214 on: Jan 09, 2016, 05:19 PM »
beercap I never  tied one on a  jig like that ...I'm thinking  it's a real  spring crappie killer  under a bobber

Offline beercap

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #215 on: Jan 09, 2016, 06:43 PM »
I am a complete beginner when it comes to ice fishing.  But I'm a very serious fly fisherman and commercial fly tier, so it's hard for me to use a plain jig, I always have to tie something onto it!

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #216 on: Jan 09, 2016, 06:50 PM »
Great looking jig there....might steal that one  ;D

Built a dubbing brush table today. I've been looking at the concept for a while. Did a small one to start. Still have a little tinkering to do, but I think it has real possibilities.

Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline beercap

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #217 on: Jan 09, 2016, 08:41 PM »
Great looking jig there....might steal that one  ;D

Built a dubbing brush table today. I've been looking at the concept for a while. Did a small one to start. Still have a little tinkering to do, but I think it has real possibilities.

Rg

Nice, dubbing brushes can be used for so many awesome things, they maintain consistency and really save time at the vise. I need to make a machine myself, for now I user store-bought ones or just make dubbing loops on each fly and it takes a lot longer

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #218 on: Jan 10, 2016, 04:01 AM »
Yeah, I like dubbing loops for a variety of things. I was actually working on a mulberry fly pattern for spring carp. I had the idea that if I could cut small strips of purple craft foam and use a dubbing loop I could wind them around a weighted body then trim them to give a bumpy look to them.

Didn't work for beans with a loop. Couldn't keep the strips from sliding around and falling out, tried wax, even super glue. So I then thought that if I used a wire dubbing brush table, I might have some success. My first attempts were a bust. Again the strips just slid along the wire as the loop was twisted.

But......I have a nice little brush maker now that I'm sure will be an added tool for other types of carp and bass flies. And.........I ain't giving up on the mulberry just yet ;D

I woke up early this morning thinking about a small accessory for my vise. A kind of mini table that I could align with a dubbing loop attached right to my vise station. Kind of like the Nor Vise attachment. I also envisioned an attachment for my rod lathe for big brushes using the head stock to power wrap. I love to tinker with stuff.

Any advise you could offer on making brushes would be much appreciated.

I'm sure we'd all love to see more of your work. Pretty good bunch of fly nuts here.

Thanks for sharing,
Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #219 on: Jan 10, 2016, 07:30 AM »
Hollowell's First Law: "Somebody's gotta pay."

In this case I'm going to have to hold Rg responsible. Now I'm addicted to watching fly tying videos on YouTube....... ;D
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline beercap

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #220 on: Jan 10, 2016, 09:34 AM »
Well for dubbing brushes it's really all about the material you use, but adding tying wax to the wire will help with some feisty materials. As for mulberry flies, have you tried Mcfly Foam? That stuff sinks at a great rate, is extremely easy to tie and to color afterwards if necessary. Makes a similar "ploop" when it hits the water

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #221 on: Jan 10, 2016, 04:07 PM »
Hollowell's First Law: "Somebody's gotta pay."

In this case I'm going to have to hold Rg responsible. Now I'm addicted to watching fly tying videos on YouTube....... ;D

Sorry bud. I'm a classic enabler ;D

So here's my little dubbing brush table.

First attempt at a dubbing brush.

Just some of my own dubbing mix. Reasonably good results.

Best part is, I needed to cut the slot that the wire sits in. So....as always.....one thing lead to another and I finally put a router table together.

Space is becoming a premium in my little basement shop so I made it to stow away pretty well.

McFly foam eh? I've seen it but never tried it. I'll look some up.

What do you use for faux fur like fox etc? I'm looking to tie up some nice brushy minnows and crayfish.

Thanks,
Rg

Offline beercap

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #222 on: Jan 10, 2016, 05:22 PM »
wow......

Nice! that's a great looking table you have going there. As for synthetic furs, go to the craft store and look around. Doll hair is great but they have all sorts of stuff of different diameters, coarseness, etc. I do really like using natural fibers wherever possible, however.

Mcfly Foam is the bees knees for egg yarn applications, definitely give it a look

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #223 on: Jan 10, 2016, 05:37 PM »
mcfly foamis so much tighter then yarn or glow bug yarn for glo bugs too ....I like it a lot  ....makes a great head on egg sucking leech patterns

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #224 on: Jan 10, 2016, 05:39 PM »
That's why I like this stuff....there's always something new to play with. ;D

Thanks guys!

Rg

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #225 on: Jan 10, 2016, 06:13 PM »
@rgfixit nice dubbing bench and check in to craft fur... unless your tying huge saltwater minnows the craft fur should work if salt water check out Enrico Puglisi tying stuff  very nice stuff for tying....  you could even use the enrico Puglisi for tying fresh water stuff but that up to you... I used craft fur for salt water like in to Borski bone fish slides and some other pattern like crazy charley etc ... any how keep the great post going! 

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #226 on: Jan 10, 2016, 06:40 PM »
I have several matts of craft fur already. I think I just need some more practice. That's not to say I won't be ordering more stuff ::)

Rg

Offline beercap

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #227 on: Jan 11, 2016, 09:45 PM »
Excited to get these tied up, now to locate the girlfriend's nail polish stash after she goes to bed...

Offline MattyP123

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FISH - HUNT - ICE
« Reply #228 on: Jan 11, 2016, 09:53 PM »
Nice! dug up some 1/32's and the hook seems HUGE. Not sure what I want to do with them yet...

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #229 on: Jan 11, 2016, 10:41 PM »
Hey beercap where did u get the jigs if u don't mind me asking..I have a pile of 1/64 oz I have a few 1/80 oz but I can only find them at bass pro..pricy to get 10 for 6 bucks...I powder paint mine they come out fine...

Offline beercap

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #230 on: Jan 11, 2016, 10:42 PM »
Nice! dug up some 1/32's and the hook seems HUGE. Not sure what I want to do with them yet...

I would tie some buck tails with those 1/32, good size for some snappy minnow patterns for crappie maybe. My main problem is I have never really been able to find a "blank" jig that has a quality hook

Offline beercap

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #231 on: Jan 11, 2016, 10:46 PM »
These were from cabelas, not sure what the policy on linking to stores is on here, but they should be easy to find. These are the "Micro Size" series and they were 3 bucks for a 25 pack

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #232 on: Jan 11, 2016, 10:47 PM »
I'm working on tying these

Offline beercap

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #233 on: Jan 11, 2016, 10:51 PM »
Nice! I envy you, that seems like a steep investment but man would I love to be able to powder coat my own jigs

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #234 on: Jan 12, 2016, 02:26 AM »
Wapsi has a line of micro jigs that have pretty decent hooks. I use them for crappie flies and some Czech jig patterns.

I've looked into powder coating a few times. Just can't pull the trigger on that one.

Like I need yet another hobby ::)

Rg

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #235 on: Jan 12, 2016, 05:48 AM »
Rg if you try you will like it I'm sure they have some very nice glow in the dark ...they work very well for them stubborn crappie ..perch and Gill like them to...I just got the gold powder comes out pretty nice.sometimes I take the bead eyes and paint them a glow color for flys..Just touch what ever your dippin with a lighter for like 3 second and done.let me know if you wanna try it I'll be more than glad to send you some then you can try it..I have 31 colors..

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #236 on: Jan 12, 2016, 06:29 AM »
RG  powder paint is the only paint I use now no harmful fumes!  follow the directions   bake ater and it's a great paint .....  when you consider the cost of vinyl or lacquer  paint  the mess the smell  health side effects and the fact the paint drys up on you ...powder paint is safer more economic and  does as good a job .....not to mention a bluegill really  doesn't care that much .......

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #237 on: Jan 12, 2016, 07:22 AM »
You guys are gonna cost me money again.......I can smell it coming. ::)

Rg

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #238 on: Jan 12, 2016, 07:51 AM »
Do you guys use a fluid bed to apply your paints?
Rg

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #239 on: Jan 12, 2016, 08:14 AM »
heat the jig  dip it  shake  let it cool  set in a pre heated oven for 40 minutes  and  all done  no mess no smell  no dried paint in the jars ....I got powder paint that's at least 7 years old that's  just as good as new

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.