New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Syracuse Student New To The Area  (Read 634 times)

Offline Will Vaughan

• Team IceShanty Regular
Syracuse Student New To The Area
« on: Oct 31, 2015, 07:59 PM »
Hello all! This is my first time posting in the New York thread. A little about myself. I'm from Vermont, but now have relocated to Syracuse. I have never fished outside of my home state but I plan on going as much as I can while I'm here! I usually would fish for Perch or Lake Trout back home, but I like catching just about anything. Would love to Catch a Walleye as I have never done so before. Now that I'll be going alone or with my girlfriend, I'll only be keeping enough for us two to eat in one or two meals. I use to keep a lot of perch to feed my self and older family members and a neighbor who can't get out anymore. I'm more of a catch and release fisherman, and now with just the two of us will only keep enough for us two to eat in one or two meals. I have a Marcum that I LOVE and a one man flip over and will be getting a hub style or larger style portable for the two of us to go. I have to keep all my stuff in my truck, but I love fishing new bodies of water so I'm not going to let this opportunity go to waste!

I've done some research, but I'm hoping somebody, or anybody could lead me in the right direction within an hour drive of Syracuse University. Not looking for any hot spots or to encroach on anyones spots. I just don't know much about the bodies of water near me or what is in them.

Thank you,
Will

FISHFORPIKE

Re: Syracuse Student New To The Area
« Reply #1 on: Oct 31, 2015, 08:06 PM »
 ;D  Oneida Lake.  All the perch and walleye you could want.  Look for and follow the Oneida Lake threads.

Offline PACKERBACKER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Retired
« Reply #2 on: Nov 01, 2015, 06:55 AM »
Sodus Bay
Winners don't know they're in a race.

They just like to run.

Offline Will Vaughan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 01, 2015, 08:24 AM »
;D  Oneida Lake.  All the perch and walleye you could want.  Look for and follow the Oneida Lake threads.

Thank you! I've heard a lot about Oneida from reading articles online. Never caught a walleye before, so I'm hoping this winter fishing a new body of water can help change that!

Sodus Bay

Thank you! I'll make the journey over there one day.....   Go Pack!

Offline pmac3

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 01, 2015, 09:08 AM »
Oneida, just be prepared to have company on the ice.
Pete

Offline Will Vaughan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 02, 2015, 03:45 PM »
Oneida, just be prepared to have company on the ice.

Eh, some days it doesn't hurt to have a bit of company! I'll be alone or some days my girlfriend will be out there with me. On the days I'm looking to just get away from it all I'll go explore some smaller bodies of water. If anything, I'm never shy to share some fishing stories over a brew and maybe I'll even have the grill and some grub with me  ;).

Offline Finders Keepers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Capt. Finders Keepers
« Reply #6 on: Nov 02, 2015, 03:51 PM »
If you want a trophy walleye, I would go to Chaumont Bay. Oneida for sure to get eaters and perch! Sodus is fantastic for perch and pike (my forte). Drop me a PM and I can give you the lowdown on Sodus! ;-)
Tim Thomas
NYS Ice Pro-Am Corporation
President & CEO

Finders Keepers Sportfishing
Captain

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.