Author Topic: Finn bore iii vs nils master  (Read 8036 times)

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
Re: Finn bore iii vs nils master
« Reply #30 on: Oct 04, 2015, 05:29 PM »
@ 62,  still drilling holes by hand.

I guess some people just never change. Indoor plumbing, colored TV, and power auger were made for reasons.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #31 on: Oct 04, 2015, 05:47 PM »
65 and I still dsrill by hand -------  sometimes!  Most times it's with a gator.  :P

Offline OldCaveman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Oct 04, 2015, 05:49 PM »
  I have an 8" finbore and drill my holes by hand @ 58 until the ice gets over a foot thick. This thing cuts amazingly easy and was the best ice fishing money I ever spent.
John

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Oct 04, 2015, 06:04 PM »
Seriously who really cares how someone drills their holes. Whether it be by hand, gas auger, or cordless drill. We are all here to enjoy the outdoors.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #34 on: Oct 05, 2015, 03:30 AM »
Some people are never satisfied ::)

I made this little sled last year. Used it and liked it so much that I sold my Commando at my garage sale.

Weighs about 30 lbs loaded. ;D

As I said, I've owned all the ice fishing crap anyone could short of a perminant shack. It's just not necessary for a fun time on the ice. For me, simple is, once again, much better.

Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #35 on: Oct 05, 2015, 05:39 AM »
rg - that's a really nice looking setup.  Functional too, I'll bet.

I got a nice lightweight carbon fiber towbar that would go well with it.  @)

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #36 on: Oct 05, 2015, 04:21 PM »
I've thought about a Malemute.

There's a guy who fishes Conesus that I've run into a few times who has a pair of Huskys. They tow his sled and are two of the prettiest dogs I've ever seen.

Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Oct 05, 2015, 04:55 PM »
Some people are never satisfied ::)

Rg

boy is that the truth with me and I am feeling it some times dragging it all out there.... any how nice sled there rg I got to make one my self.. but  then I would add more crap to the list lol's of stuff to drag out there...

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #38 on: Oct 05, 2015, 05:39 PM »
It's not hard to go minimal. First time out you when drag 2\3rd of the basement with you, make  list of what you actually used. Then work off that list.

I used to carry 30 lbs of jigs. Then I realized that I normally used 6, maybe 7 different jigs on an outing. Man, that saved some weight and room. Some things I rarely go without. A couple favorite rods and reels, my FL-18 (which was a present from a good friend), my little box of miscellaneous stuff, picks, whistle etc. Water, thermos, a snack or two. Not much more you need really.

Rg

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Oct 05, 2015, 06:02 PM »
It's not hard to go minimal. First time out you when drag 2\3rd of the basement with you, make  list of what you actually used. Then work off that list.

I used to carry 30 lbs of jigs. Then I realized that I normally used 6, maybe 7 different jigs on an outing. Man, that saved some weight and room. Some things I rarely go without. A couple favorite rods and reels, my FL-18 (which was a present from a good friend), my little box of miscellaneous stuff, picks, whistle etc. Water, thermos, a snack or two. Not much more you need really.

Rg

I always try but my buddy does not have a flasher so I bring my spare and spare auger shanty and etc for him to use that's when I got to find new friends too lol's cause he shows up late and I drag it all out on the ice :) and a grin from me... 

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #40 on: Oct 05, 2015, 06:10 PM »

Rg

Couldn't agree with you more on going with the minimalist plan. Last year my budy an I took the minimalist approach & combined it with finding the light weight product approach a space saving items. Wow does it make a difference when pulling out. It also leaves a lot of room in the sled now.

Here is the stuff we switched

Auger- jiffy model 30 for a clam plate drill setup....saved around 30lbs
Vex batteries from Lead acid to a lithium gained run time and saved a few pounds prya about 5
Moved from a 20lb sunflower to a mr heater cooker with 4-1lb tanks.....saved about 16lbs
Got rid of five gallon fish bucket for a canvas creel bag.....saved room

50lbs doesn't sound like much, but wow did it make a difference.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #41 on: Oct 05, 2015, 07:49 PM »
Same here Agron.

You can save 5+lb if you forgo the clam plate and just use the drill with the side handle. Ive got over 1000 holes on my drill setup with a 6in auger using the side handle without issue. U can also pop the drill off for esay storage or use around the house. As well as use to screw in anchors for the pop up when needed.

Also went with a square 5gal bucket backpack with a padded lid. This holds all my gear and serves as a seat. Swapped from my clam flip over that was 30lbs to a lightweight flip n fish that weighs 14lbs.

I dont use a heater because im moving to much for it to be effective.

I can haul all my gear including my flip over for less weight than most gas augers.
All said and done:

Auger:10 lb
Flip over: 14lb
Flasher: 5lb
Tackle/bait: 10lb
Total: about 40lbs

Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline dekatronic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Oct 06, 2015, 02:40 AM »
How did this thread about augers digress into a discussion about how to save weight ??? Lol too funny. Anyhow my vote is for the fin-bore for no good reason other than I can pick up replacement blades from a nearby retailer

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #43 on: Oct 06, 2015, 03:41 AM »
Probably because the auger debate has been beaten to death for years. It will go on ad nauseum.

Rg

Offline dekatronic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Oct 06, 2015, 10:23 AM »
Probably because the auger debate has been beaten to death for years. It will go on ad nauseum.

Rg
Lol truer words were never spoken, and I guarantee you've seen enough posts to attest to it.
Still I think the o.p. asked an honest question that deserves due diligence. Nice sled btw ;)

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #45 on: Oct 06, 2015, 02:34 PM »
Thanks....I vote fin bore ;D

Rg

Offline OldCaveman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Oct 06, 2015, 06:30 PM »
   fin bore
John

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #47 on: Oct 06, 2015, 09:14 PM »
I vote a mora on a drill 😎👍😵

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Oct 06, 2015, 10:37 PM »
maybe start a pole in a thread and have it end in  20-30 days at the end see what has the best reputation or number of votes.... then buy it. we all know fin bores are good so are nils  so those would be the top two categories and a few other laser, mora, eskimo  silver tip, ht  polar fire etc etc .and then other brand would be a vote able  possibility .... could be other options see what the masses have to say...  but I am telling you it will be nils or finbore and I am betting fin bore win's cause of simplicity of design and price point...by the way the poling  option should be under attachments and other options when you start a new thread...     

Offline mbart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #49 on: Oct 07, 2015, 06:19 PM »
I guess some people just never change. Indoor plumbing, colored TV, and power auger were made for reasons.
4.5" Nils hand auger, and my indoor plumbing / color television.   

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #50 on: Oct 07, 2015, 06:24 PM »
4.5" Nils hand auger, and my indoor plumbing / color television   

Nice setup. Sorry if I came off being an @sshat. I didn't mean to offend you. Was just trying to express that we progress with technology has a culture and some people get stuck in the old ways of doing things.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #51 on: Oct 08, 2015, 03:06 AM »
Stuck?
Hardly! You come off as thinking you're smarter than someone who chooses to use a hand auger for its simplicity, economy and function. Ice fishing has turned into an equipment competition. I'm sure that makes our advertisers cringe, but there's a pretty large segment of ice fishers who don't want to have to haul around a truck load of stuff to catch a fish.

You may feel the need, many don't.
Rg

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #52 on: Oct 08, 2015, 06:49 AM »
Stuck?
Hardly! You come off as thinking you're smarter than someone who chooses to use a hand auger for its simplicity, economy and function. Ice fishing has turned into an equipment competition. I'm sure that makes our advertisers cringe, but there's a pretty large segment of ice fishers who don't want to have to haul around a truck load of stuff to catch a fish.

Rg

:clap:
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #53 on: Oct 08, 2015, 07:27 AM »
Stuck?

Rg

Um.....how do you come up with a "truck load of stuff" a simple light weight drill or power head is not a "truck load" of stuff. Looks like I hit a cord with you.....chill man didn't mean to offend

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #54 on: Oct 08, 2015, 07:56 AM »
Just to add my $.02 to this. It is that not everyone can afford much more than the basic equipment needed to get out on the ice, but still enjoy doing so whenever they can! I still ice fish much the same way as I did when I was younger. RG is right that many still like to keep it light and simple!! To each their own! I'll put my soap box away now!!! Have a great hard water season everybody!!
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #55 on: Oct 08, 2015, 08:28 AM »
That's chord. No offense....none taken.

Rg

luv2fish2

« Reply #56 on: Oct 08, 2015, 10:21 AM »
i go minimal when i'm hiking in . if i got to go miles bring the kitchen sink lol and transportation , time and place for everything, go with what works for each of ya  some people really dig catching more with less , i can see the why ,but  i now spend cash on what makes life easier on me (serious health problems) so i can keep fishing and oh yeah i vote drill an k drill auger, best of both worlds but not cheap,  diversity rules !!! ;) we need ice he he he here we go again

Offline Me4labonte

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #57 on: Oct 09, 2015, 05:55 PM »
Just wanted to let everyone know i bought the ur450 nils today direct from nils. 105 to door.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #58 on: Oct 09, 2015, 08:16 PM »
You'll like it great choice

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Oct 10, 2015, 01:52 AM »
Case solved I guess the original poster got a ur450 nils... glad to hear it to...you won't be disappointed with nils.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.