The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Does the drill come off the auger easily?  (Read 8565 times)

Offline rjbreese

• IceShanty Rookie
  • fishing fool
Re: Does the drill come off the auger easily?
« Reply #30 on: Oct 19, 2015, 11:53 PM »
Clam redesigned their plate ..no chuck removal ...while you could remove the drill to put in your anchors it is a process to reattach the drill to the plate ...adjusting the trigger paddle

http://clamoutdoors.com/store/clam/augers/drill-auger-conversion-kit.html

StrikeMaster has a lithium auger too ..they recalled them last season due to switch problems but they are in the new catalog

http://usa.rapala.com/catalog/iceforce/#4

Eskimo Ice anchors go in without any tools fairly easy ...best on the market so if you set up with the clam plate no need to switch to a drill

http://www.amazon.com/Eskimo-69138-Ice-Anchors-2-pack/dp/B000LX739W/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1442579239&sr=8-2&keywords=eskimo+ice+anchor
just bought a Milwaukee drill looking to purchase a clam plate now but was dreading taking chuck off, so the new clam plates are designed that you don't have to remove the chuck????is that correct?

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Oct 19, 2015, 11:59 PM »
yes but a store could send you old new stock meaning a older model of the plate that is brand new they had in stock if your not careful.. but I would go to the store and make sure you got the right one before you leave is my point.. like if going 40 -100 miles to cabelas they better have the right one lol's   

Offline rjbreese

• IceShanty Rookie
  • fishing fool
« Reply #32 on: Oct 20, 2015, 09:13 PM »
I just purchased today at Bobs Tools in DesMoines, Ia. Milwaukee fuel 18V combo kit #2897-22 this kit comes with the 1/2" hammer drill/driver#2704-20 (1200in.lbs. torque) and the 1/4" hex impact driver #2753-20 comes with (2) 5ah batteries and charger AND they throw in another 4ah battery for free all for $299....til the end of October, hope this gets you all an early Christmas present as it did for me ;D.. now cant wait to get the clam plate and put it into action this season...happy shopping all.

Offline Ice Surveyor

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishing is Life.
« Reply #33 on: Jan 27, 2016, 09:09 AM »
Cabelas has the Nils Arctic Trekkers on sale right now.  I just purchased the 8" model.  I have a Milwaukee 1/2" impact that should power this auger with ease.  Do I need an adaptor to make the connection between the drill and the driver, or does the Nils come with one?   

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Jan 27, 2016, 04:30 PM »
Cabelas has the Nils Arctic Trekkers on sale right now.  I just purchased the 8" model.  I have a Milwaukee 1/2" impact that should power this auger with ease.  Do I need an adaptor to make the connection between the drill and the driver, or does the Nils come with one?

Be real careful of an impact driver.  That could ruin your blades.  You're best off with a drill/driver.  Guys buy the hammer drill for perceived ruggedness but never use the hammer feature for drilling through the ice.

Offline Ice Surveyor

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishing is Life.
« Reply #35 on: Jan 27, 2016, 06:08 PM »
Thanks, buz. 

I'm hoping the drill does not go into "impact" mode while I run the auger.  If it does, I might buy the Icegator head to run it, so I can join the pissing match on that other thread!

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #36 on: Jan 27, 2016, 08:26 PM »
Thanks, buz. 

I'm hoping the drill does not go into "impact" mode while I run the auger.  If it does, I might buy the Icegator head to run it, so I can join the pissing match on that other thread!
drills have chucks and impacts have hex openings for hex bits. that will let you know what you have. hammer drills don't just start hammering. you have to dial that mode in.

your right in not needing a plate to use your drill! we have never heard of or seen any one who lay their drill in water or snow. you can also drill a hole all of the way to water and use it as an ice anchor. or just put back in your sled. never seen a plate in person used on ice, only in stores, but we do see a lot of drills w/o plates. i could just see it now a big ol plate on a drill installing ice anchors lol! we all drill a partial hole and leave it in the hole.

i use the ice master auger to drill adapter. should be around 24$. also use your auxiliary handle for better control on your drill. try to lift some on your auger so it's not loading up as much and make it shave better.

Offline Ice Surveyor

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishing is Life.
« Reply #37 on: Jan 27, 2016, 09:32 PM »
3300, the 1/4" impacts have a hex head receiver, but the 1/2" impact has a square 1/2" head, same as a socket wrench.  An impact wrench will only start "impacting" when there is significant resistance to the drill.  I can take off lug nuts with the 1/2" impact, the thing is a beast.  Milwaukee model no. 2663-20.  I guess I'll find out when my Nils auger arrives in the mail. 

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #38 on: Jan 27, 2016, 11:01 PM »
okay, i have the 1/2 male impact for sockets also. that won't work on an auger at all. it replaced my air tools most times while working on cars/trucks. i have the 1/4" female hex impact driver also.

you need a 1/2 drill. hammer drills just uses a heavier transmission, so many use that version. i have to have hammer mode for plumbing and carpentry and general repairs at times.

the auger adapter uses a male 3/8" or slightly bigger pin that's ground on three sides. i think it say's it needs a 1/2" drill tho.

homedepot had some nice deals last i looked. they were offering 100$ off when you buy a qualifying tool. if buying a big kit they were offering 150$ off when buying the extra tool. good way to get free extra battery(s).

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Jan 28, 2016, 08:19 AM »
ice surveyor, like 3300 said, the impact driver is NOT the right tool. It won't work. You need a drill. If you get a hammer drill, don't use it in hammer mode, it'll only beat up your auger. You really don't need a hammer drill, mine isn't a hammer drill and it works just fine but don't think you're gonna use an impact driver with an auger.

Offline dcmod25

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Jan 28, 2016, 08:34 AM »
have the ion and it opens holes just fine, never had a problem, know several guys that use them in hard sides and do not have problems eihter. if you talk to ion they say also say that the design of the auger works well to open old holes

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #41 on: Jan 28, 2016, 09:07 AM »
if you want to match your tools.
i don't want a dedicated power head for the ice i get. most it's ever been is 26" or there abouts. you can use the drill the rest of the year, but not a power head.
the deals are gone. they are on for end of year sales.
there is a member on here who finds codes to get some money off on another website for tools.
i have been using a 500"# 24 volt drill for years and never had any problem cutting holes with it. it's fast and can cut a 20" hole in 5 seconds using a lazer 6" auger.

this is the 1200"# drill
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M18-FUEL-18-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Brushless-1-2-in-Hammer-Drill-Driver-XC-Kit-2704-22/206211755

750"# drill
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M18-FUEL-18-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Brushless-1-2-in-Hammer-Drill-Driver-XC-Battery-Kit-2604-22/203205419

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.