The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Does the drill come off the auger easily?  (Read 8569 times)

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Does the drill come off the auger easily?
« on: Sep 18, 2015, 07:15 AM »
I'm thinking of replacing the old Jiffy 30 with an electric setup. Was almost completely sold on the Ion but need to consider a cordless drill setup. They are close to the same money if you use a Clam plate and get a quality auger like a Nils, but maybe I could skip the Clam handles? So a few questions...

How many of you use a cordless drill setup without Clam plate/handles and are happy with it?

Can the drill easily come off the auger? Does the chuck remain so I can use it for other things during the day?

I carry a drill with me to set the anchors for my shanty and don't want to change that. Works great for me. I use a Clam ice anchor install tool on a cordless drill. I do not want to have to carry two drills. A Milwaukee Fuel 18 with battery and charger is roughly $170, a Nils Arctic Trekker is $229 and the Clam plate is $60. That's $459. I can find an Ion for close to that. A spare Ion battery is going to run $150 where a spare battery for the Milwaukee is probably less than $100. I want a Nils because with electric I will want to carry a manual handle, but maybe there are cheaper options? Everyone says a cordless drill setup is cheaper but I'm not seeing it that way.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Does the drill come off the auger easily?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 18, 2015, 07:28 AM »
Clam redesigned their plate ..no chuck removal ...while you could remove the drill to put in your anchors it is a process to reattach the drill to the plate ...adjusting the trigger paddle

http://clamoutdoors.com/store/clam/augers/drill-auger-conversion-kit.html

StrikeMaster has a lithium auger too ..they recalled them last season due to switch problems but they are in the new catalog

http://usa.rapala.com/catalog/iceforce/#4

Eskimo Ice anchors go in without any tools fairly easy ...best on the market so if you set up with the clam plate no need to switch to a drill

http://www.amazon.com/Eskimo-69138-Ice-Anchors-2-pack/dp/B000LX739W/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1442579239&sr=8-2&keywords=eskimo+ice+anchor
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Sep 18, 2015, 07:44 AM »
Yeah, I have 4 of the Eskimo anchors they are good but anyone who says they go in easy hasn't ever used a drill and tool to install anchors. They go in easier than the Clam ones, but when you are a fat piggy like me and you are out there struggling with winds and sub zero temps and a chick that is starting to get cold... I determined the drill and tool is worth it. I also use 8 anchors every time. 4 outside, 4 in. I'm not changing using the tool and if need be I will just carry two drills, but I'd rather not.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Sep 18, 2015, 07:46 AM »
I started out with a drill adaptor on a SM 6in Lazer drill and a Dewalt home model 20 v max drill w/1.5 batteries ...it worked ok on ice 6 in or less . Then switched that entire set to the Clam plate ..much more stabile ..then upgraded to the 4 amp batteries ...even better . But the drill gave out ..this season going with The Clam plate ,6 in SM Lazer, 4 amp batteries and a DeWalt 995 XR Brushless drill .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #4 on: Sep 18, 2015, 07:50 AM »
I fished with my buddies Rigid with out a Clam Plate last season, I then picked up a Rigid (can't beat that warranty) for myself to fish this season and would never bother with a Clam Plate. For me it is added weight, when I don't have a problem in the first place... I am a big guy and have no problem holding on, but my buddy is not very big at all and he has no problem drilling holes with out a "plate". If I was to go with a "Plate" I would make it a gear reduction unit, not just a "handle" when the drill already comes with a handle...

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Sep 18, 2015, 08:06 AM »
Clam now makes a auger plate that does not require you to remove the drill chuck, it is new for this season and it sounds like that is possibly the best option for you. The Nils augers are fantastic but they are expensive as well and dont forget a spare head, for when your original gets dull and you have to send it in to be resharpened, is going to set you back some money as well. I went with the 7" mora auger for quite a few reasons one of these is because the blades are cheap and easily found. Im not sure why you would want or need to take a hand crank if you build a quailty drill auger... you wont need it unless you love drilling holes by hand. Your on the right track with the Milwaukee drill. Look for the 2nd generation as it has 1200 in/lbs of torque and a minimum of 4ah batteries. I just built a drill auger for a buddy a couple weeks ago. Complete it was $210 minus the batteries and charger which he already has..... In my opinion the drill auger is unbeatable for price and performance.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Sep 18, 2015, 08:38 AM »
Like hardwater said, it's a bit of a process re-attaching the drill to the plate. It would be ok at home when you have a little time and are more comfortable but out on the ice it could be more trouble then it is worth. The thing about the drill is, if you have a wimpy battery you won't be completely satisfied. The average home owner drills have wimpy batteries. there's the problem. I have a ridgid, but it has the wimpy battery. Good on early ice but once you get to thicker ice it just won't do the trick and dies after a couple holes.

The thing about just using the adapters is, you need the add on handle that most drills come with. Fine and dandy but I've heard that they can shear off some times and then it's broke. The clam plate solves that problem and gives you a more secure platform to work with. So,what I come up with so far... a good drill with the best batteries on a clam plate is a good thing but it would be a dedicated tool. If you need to buy the plate, auger, drill and batteries to do it, you quickly rack up a hefty price tag of around $400-$500. For a bit more you can get an ion or a gator and just pack the drill as always.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #7 on: Sep 18, 2015, 12:42 PM »
never needed a bigger handle for a drill on ice and i see no need to buy into one. i t would use more space in a sled too. i read some people need a little "help" holding on and so they buy the handle/plate. so unless you have a problem with strength in your grip, then you shouldn't need to waste more cash on making holes.

i use the ice master adaptor to take some weight off the drill bearing (doesn't really matter with ridgid brand, if it gets ruined or not because they will recondition it for free anyway) and save the auger from going thru the ice (that would be like dropping drill batteries down the hole cost wise). that is the lightest and smallest foot print you'll get. my 24 volt ridgid has a band/stap aux. handle that swings around to where you want it to stop and never broke in the many years i have used it on and off the ice. i'm on my second set of batteries for free tho.

take the money you would have spent on that handle/plate and buy a better drill. the drill should be just under 300$, not under 200$.

i use the eskimo anchor driver on my drill and use just one drill for the auger and driver. same as changing out a drill bit.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #8 on: Sep 18, 2015, 02:14 PM »
never needed a bigger handle for a drill on ice and i see no need to buy into one. i t would use more space in a sled too. i read some people need a little "help" holding on and so they buy the handle/plate. so unless you have a problem with strength in your grip, then you shouldn't need to waste more cash on making holes.

i use the ice master adaptor to take some weight off the drill bearing (doesn't really matter with ridgid brand, if it gets ruined or not becuase they will recondition it for free anyway) and save the auger from going thru the ice (that would be like dropping drill batteries down the hole cost wise). that is the lightest and smallest foot print you'll get. my 24 volt ridgid has a band/stap aux. handle that swings around to where you want it to stop and never broke in the many years i have used it on and off the ice. i'm on my second set of batteries for free tho.

take the money you would have spent on that plate and buy a better drill. the drill should be just under 300$, not under 200$.

i use the eskimo anchor driver on my drill and use just one drill for the auger and driver. same as changing out a drill bit.

most of the guys saying they see no need for the clam plate seem to be ridged drill owners or guys with drills around 450in/lbs torque Put a drill with 750in/lbs of torque or more and an 8in auger and the clam plate is a lot more useful.

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Sep 18, 2015, 05:13 PM »
X2 on the clam plate..... I have found it very useful in many ways and none of them has anything to do with my arm strength. It comes in handy to lay the auger down without getting snow/slush/water on the drill or batteries. The plate is also very ergonomic and makes your whole setup feel more auger like and comfortable (minus the gas,oil,smoke,noise, hard starts,fouled plugs,etc,etc,etc....LOL!!!) It also protects your investment in your drill if you buy a powerful one like the Fuel. I have seen the carnage pictures of whats left when the auger catches in the bottom of a hole when only using the handle only and its not pretty. I would much rather be bringing home a bucket full of fish than a bunch of broken drill parts.

Offline frmboybuck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Sep 18, 2015, 06:00 PM »
For anyone interested... I just bought the new Milwaukee drill kit with 2-5 amp batteries for $229 plus tax. Pretty hard to beat if you are in the market for a new drill. Only downfall is that it is backordered right at the moment but with the looks of the weather, I guess I'm in no hurry
http://northerntool.com/products/shop~tools~product_200653792_200653792?hotline=false  use the discount code 243938 when you check out and it knocks $50 off the price

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Sep 18, 2015, 06:15 PM »
That is a smoking hot deal for anyone who is building a drill auger. The 5ah battery is much more water resistant pack and should be very capable on a drill auger. Do you by chance know if its the new Milwaukee Fuel Gen2 with 1200 ft/lbs of torque

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Sep 18, 2015, 06:45 PM »
I'm thinking of replacing the old Jiffy 30 with an electric setup. Was almost completely sold on the Ion but need to consider a cordless drill setup. They are close to the same money if you use a Clam plate and get a quality auger like a Nils, but maybe I could skip the Clam handles? So a few questions...

1)How many of you use a cordless drill setup without Clam plate/handles and are happy with it?

2)Can the drill easily come off the auger? Does the chuck remain so I can use it for other things during the day?

3)I carry a drill with me to set the anchors for my shanty and don't want to change that. Works great for me. I use a Clam ice anchor install tool on a cordless drill. I do not want to have to carry two drills. A Milwaukee Fuel 18 with battery and charger is roughly $170, a Nils Arctic Trekker is $229 and the Clam plate is $60. That's $459. I can find an Ion for close to that. A spare Ion battery is going to run $150 where a spare battery for the Milwaukee is probably less than $100. I want a Nils because with electric I will want to carry a manual handle, but maybe there are cheaper options? Everyone says a cordless drill setup is cheaper but I'm not seeing it that way.

1) I used a nim rod and did not care for it that was with the safety handle for the nim rod adaptor...

2) I welded on a socket extension to my clam plate so I could add a socket to it and add a eskimo or calm stake tool.. now I just got to make a auger adaptor for my nils so it all mate up perfectly so I can leave the drill on the plate remove the auger bit and add a socket and stake tool to drill stakes.. if any thing you can pick up drills that cost $30 to $50 from home depot lowes etc.. for a spare drill instead of doing what I did might safe some effort..   

3)if really worried about battery you can hard wire a set of those game camera batteries to the drill in series 3x6=18 volts 6 amps from a 18 volt set up form a sealed acid rechargeable battery would save some dough...

4)you don't have to by the artic trecker to get a nils adapted to cord less drills they sell a kovac drill adaptor  i think is the company it cost 39.99 for the older blue and red blade augers to convert them to cordless drill possible i will get a link to the adaptor in a minute... $40 and around $189.99=$230  for a 8 inch nils.. then add in  drill and batteries... also wait till cabelas has that 20 off of 150 or more to buy the augers saves money if any thing...

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Sep 18, 2015, 06:48 PM »
here is the link to the kovac drill adaptor for 36+s&H

http://icemasteradapter.com/Purchase/purchase.htm

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #14 on: Sep 18, 2015, 07:46 PM »

How many of you use a cordless drill setup without Clam plate/handles and are happy with it?

Can the drill easily come off the auger? Does the chuck remain so I can use it for other things during the day?

I carry a drill with me to set the anchors for my shanty and don't want to change that. Works great for me. I use a Clam ice anchor install tool on a cordless drill. I do not want to have to carry two drills. A Milwaukee Fuel 18 with battery and charger is roughly $170, a Nils Arctic Trekker is $229 and the Clam plate is $60. That's $459. I can find an Ion for close to that. A spare Ion battery is going to run $150 where a spare battery for the Milwaukee is probably less than $100. I want a Nils because with electric I will want to carry a manual handle, but maybe there are cheaper options? Everyone says a cordless drill setup is cheaper but I'm not seeing it that way.

You are finding it expensive because you want to. First off, you are getting a hand auger & a power auger. Not so with the ion. Second, your buying the most expensive auger, a Nils. The reason for a nils is the effortless hole drilling buy hand. If that is what you are after, then plan to PAY UP.  Do you really need that with a drill powering the auger? A $45 shaver works great.....that alone is $180 savings. If you want the nils you only need the hand one, not the Arctic trekker if using a plate.

I had a jiffy model 30 and went to a clam plate set up. exactly what you're talking of doing. I ended up going nuts and spending.....well a lot to get it all figured out. It was worth every penny too! I'll do a nice post with pics to show my findings.

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Sep 18, 2015, 08:01 PM »
by the way the artic treker you don't need to buy any adaptors for it to convert it to a cord less drill auger it come with it... reason is it smooth enough alone and perfect alone not to need the clam plate less effort used to drill the holes unlike that of strike master augers.. so just buying the 229.9 artic treker no clam plate and a cord less drill and batteries saves you 69.99 alone for not buying the clam plate...  the 229.99 for the artic treker is same price as the kovac adaptor and the hand auger nils.. 

which me my self would go with the artic treker and a drill and some batteries... instead of buying the clam plate I would get a spare auger blade for the artic treker just incase you hit sand or what ever on or in the ice...that what I would do that way you can detach the auger from the drill and add a stake tool that all you have to do... if they had the arctic treker out 3-4 years ago I would have gotten that... instead of the nils hand auger the blue with red tip...

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #16 on: Sep 18, 2015, 08:18 PM »
Here was my first try at a set up. Dewalt -brushed drill & 8in. HT shaver.  It worked, but the durability was really a question......I believe if you pounded holes all winter the drill would give out, it seemed underpowered by a bit. also tried with a 7in Eskimo shaver and seemed better, but the drill seemed like it was getting a workout.

Try number 2. The Milwaukee brushless fuel & 7in. Eskimo Shaver. Well....just watch the video. 
  Watch my hands in the video with the clam plate.....it worked great.

Try number three. Milwaukee fuel & 7in. laser conversation. Cut faster, can't understand the rave everyone had about the Lazer. The wrist whip lash when breaking through sucked.....it was fast though.

Try number 4. Milwaukee and nils 8in.  Cut smooth even when breaking through. It was a tall set up, no need for and "extension" . Also fast.

The adaptor

The quick attach detach pin

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #17 on: Sep 18, 2015, 08:26 PM »
Overall, I felt the best setup was the 7in shaver. It was the most compact &  least amount of weight I didn't really notice the hole size difference from an 8in. Plus, it should get more hole per battery vs the 8in. Also, it cost the least. I find myself actually drilling a crap load more holes with it, because it is so light. When I use to drill about 3-4 holes with the jiffy, I'll drill 6 or 7 with the clam plate.

The bad part is re drilling holes is not the best with any of those......I'm wanting a k-drill 8in to try for re drilling holes........if it works like I think I might go buy a wheel house.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #18 on: Sep 18, 2015, 08:43 PM »
by the way the artic treker you don't need to buy any adaptors for it to convert it to a cord less drill auger it come with it... reason is it smooth enough alone and perfect alone not to need the clam plate less effort used to drill the holes unlike that of strike master augers.. so just buying the 229.9 artic treker no clam plate and a cord less drill and batteries saves you 69.99 alone for not buying the clam plate...  the 229.99 for the artic treker is same price as the kovac adaptor and the hand auger nils.. 

which me my self would go with the artic treker and a drill and some batteries... instead of buying the clam plate I would get a spare auger blade for the artic treker just incase you hit sand or what ever on or in the ice...that what I would do that way you can detach the auger from the drill and add a stake tool that all you have to do... if they had the arctic treker out 3-4 years ago I would have gotten that... instead of the nils hand auger the blue with red tip...

Why not get the orange and black nils made for the drill setups. The Nils USA Convertible hand Auger. Sure it is a less aggressive bite the the original nils, but the ION he is looking at is basically just a standard shaver blade.

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Sep 19, 2015, 02:25 AM »
Why not get the orange and black nils made for the drill setups. The Nils USA Convertible hand Auger. Sure it is a less aggressive bite the the original nils, but the ION he is looking at is basically just a standard shaver blade.

The orange nils had a problem with the chuck attachment point stripping out...there is no way to replace it once it happens.  so hence did not want to get the guy in to a pickle of problem...fine and dandy if it tight  contact but it could and has happened see the point... I thought of saying it to but did not at least it out in the open on the why and why not...

sunniewally

« Reply #20 on: Sep 19, 2015, 06:33 AM »
ONCE YOUR NILS CONVERTIBLE STRIPS OUT THERE IS A ADAPTER ON EBAY TO FIX IT FOR ABOUT 30 BUCKS THATS WHAT I HAD TO DO. THEY DO WORK GOOD, BUT THAT IS A PAIN WHEN IT STRIPS OUT. STILL HAVE THE AUGER BUT BOUGHT AN ION. I JUST THINK ITS BUILT TO DO THE JOB WITH LESS PROBLEMS. I DON'T GO AND DRILL A MILLION HOLES ANYMORE!

Offline frmboybuck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Sep 19, 2015, 07:46 AM »
That is a smoking hot deal for anyone who is building a drill auger. The 5ah battery is much more water resistant pack and should be very capable on a drill auger. Do you by chance know if its the new Milwaukee Fuel Gen2 with 1200 ft/lbs of torque
Yes it is.  They have 2 models of the same drill. One has the hammer function($299),  one does not($279).  I opted for the one without. I have just about every Ryobi tool ever made for around the house and they work great but the drill was a bit under powered with my 7" Lazer. I figured that the hammer function was just another thing to eventually go bad. That deal I posted included free shipping as well.

luv2fish2

« Reply #22 on: Sep 19, 2015, 08:21 AM »
link no longer works guess the deal is over dagg nabbit i'll stick with my fuel hammer drill and 8" k drill and clam plate not cheap but it is light fast and slick as snot i can't see me changing anything i tried a few diff setups lazer , mora with and without the plate now for one of them 9ah batteries i don't see me ever going gas again unless there's 4' of ice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #23 on: Sep 19, 2015, 08:55 AM »
link no longer works guess the deal is over dagg nabbit i'll stick with my fuel hammer drill and 8" k drill and clam plate not cheap but it is light fast and slick as snot i can't see me changing anything i tried a few diff setups lazer , mora with and without the plate now for one of them 9ah batteries i don't see me ever going gas again unless there's 4' of ice

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200514663_200514663 only 4 ah battery $ 279 but use code 243938
at check out .

Offline frmboybuck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Sep 19, 2015, 06:51 PM »
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200514663_200514663 only 4 ah battery $ 279 but use code 243938
at check out .

That's actually the old (725 in/lb)  model.  Not sure why the link got moved by here is the new (1200 in/lb) model
http://m.northerntool.com/products/shop~tools~product_200653792_200653792?hotline=false

Offline frmboybuck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Sep 19, 2015, 06:55 PM »

Kinda interested in the K drill.  Haven't heard anything bad about them. They are pricey though...

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Sep 20, 2015, 10:34 AM »
Overall, I felt the best setup was the 7in shaver. It was the most compact &  least amount of weight I didn't really notice the hole size difference from an 8in. Plus, it should get more hole per battery vs the 8in. Also, it cost the least. I find myself actually drilling a crap load more holes with it, because it is so light. When I use to drill about 3-4 holes with the jiffy, I'll drill 6 or 7 with the clam plate.

The bad part is re drilling holes is not the best with any of those......I'm wanting a k-drill 8in to try for re drilling holes........if it works like I think I might go buy a wheel house.

Yeah, my first year with a hardside as well. I'm glad I started this thread, looks like you have done most of the legwork for me! The shaver setup looks great.

I am interested in the K Drill and how it reopens holes. How does the Ion do with reopening holes? I would hope well as they are popular wheelhouse drills.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #27 on: Sep 20, 2015, 12:35 PM »
Yeah, my first year with a hardside as well. I'm glad I started this thread, looks like you have done most of the legwork for me! The shaver setup looks great.

I am interested in the K Drill and how it reopens holes. How does the Ion do with reopening holes? I would hope well as they are popular wheelhouse drills.

If you look at the head, the ion is a shaver head. So it doesnt reopen holes to well.

luv2fish2

« Reply #28 on: Sep 20, 2015, 08:17 PM »
k drill has a sharpened center blade that holds it were put it so yes it reopens holes easily this things an animal but if i had to do it over i'd get a 6" if i need a bigger hole i'd drill them side by side most of the time a 6" will do for me ( 90% ) but i'm better of to big than small

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #29 on: Sep 20, 2015, 10:28 PM »
here is a K-Drill head. it has a ripper style blade made for hole reopening. Also has a center point.

here is the ion. Plain shaver blades like a hand auger. Doesn't look to have a point to center either.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.