Author Topic: Humminbirds NEW ICE HELIX 5  (Read 6116 times)

Offline Yankee Troller

• Team IceShanty Regular
Humminbirds NEW ICE HELIX 5
« on: Sep 09, 2015, 07:51 AM »
If you like/want a wide screen Fish Finder/Flasher/GPS unit for the ice check out Humminbirds new Ice Helix 5! It should be live on their website soon, but they basically took a Helix 5 and made it an ice machine.

Clam Pro & Yukon TC
Humminbird ICE55 & ICE HELIX 7
Thorne Bros Custom Ice Rods - Quiverstick, Power Noodle, Perch Sweetheart, Med Walleye Sweetheart, MH Walleye Sweetheart, and Deadstick
Daiwa Laguna Reels
Strikemaster 10" Lazer Pro & 6" Lazer
Ice Fishing Innovations Rod Locker

Offline PikePetersen

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Humminbirds NEW ICE HELIX 5
« Reply #1 on: Sep 09, 2015, 11:52 AM »
I picked one up for my boat this summer and am looking forward to trying it out on the ice. Im curious to see how good the target separation is.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Sep 09, 2015, 02:01 PM »
Its excellent...used my Helix 5 DI/GPS on the ice last year with a 2d skimmer. You get a lot of options for the money with all models in the Helix family

Catchin' Fish

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Sep 11, 2015, 08:46 AM »
I asked last year about it and they at that time did not a xducer for it. Looks like they found time to get it fixed up. Cabelas has it online for 450.00
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline DBV

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Sep 11, 2015, 05:33 PM »
Looks nice. Trying to decide between this, Lowarance Elite 5 Chirp and Marcum LX6.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Sep 21, 2015, 12:54 PM »
I bought one for the boat and am excited to use it for ice season. Love my Ice55 but having GPS will be awesome.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline calgary-john

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 20, 2015, 06:14 PM »
You can chart a lake with these? How does that work? I drop down the transducer, it scans the area and saves it?

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Oct 20, 2015, 11:02 PM »
You'd have a tough time creating Auto Chart maps on the ice! But yes the Helix series can run Auto Chart on any of the GPS units.

Catchin' Fish

Offline calgary-john

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Oct 20, 2015, 11:57 PM »
You'd have a tough time creating Auto Chart maps on the ice! But yes the Helix series can run Auto Chart on any of the GPS units.

Would I need to buy any addition pieces or download something in order to do it?

I don't want to do the whole lake obvisously, just areas I fish to map the drop offs, holes, shelfs etc.

Offline sandhillguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Oct 21, 2015, 01:38 AM »
Auto chart is meant for a moving graph of a lake, such as using a boat and traveling all over the lake getting depth ranges and then it makes a general map of it off of recorded depth points, using it on the ice wont achieve the same thing, its needs to record alot of points in order to create a map.

Offline Yankee Troller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Oct 21, 2015, 09:19 AM »
I don;t think the HELIX series is Auto Chart Live compatible. The ONIX series is the only one I know of. I looked on their website, and the Auto Chart Live symbol wasn't present on the HELIX 5 or 7.
Clam Pro & Yukon TC
Thorne Bros Custom Ice Rods - Quiverstick, Power Noodle, Perch Sweetheart, Med Walleye Sweetheart, MH Walleye Sweetheart, and Deadstick
Daiwa Laguna Reels

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Oct 21, 2015, 10:39 AM »
correct, you need a zero lines card and the auto chart pc program to use auto chart with anything but an Onix.

Basically with the zero lines card inserted in the head unit you start a sonar recording and it plots the depth readings to gps coordinates. The program translates that info into a visual map.

If the bodies of water you're fishing are included in Lake Master you can purchase them individually with Chart Select online (10-20/body of water) instead of buying a regional card.

Catchin' Fish

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Oct 21, 2015, 02:10 PM »
Yes, you need to use a Lake Master or Hot Maps card to have charts. I use it on my boat and it's been awesome this summer to have. I am PUMPED to have it on my ice machine.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Oct 22, 2015, 12:29 PM »
I don;t think the HELIX series is Auto Chart Live compatible. The ONIX series is the only one I know of. I looked on their website, and the Auto Chart Live symbol wasn't present on the HELIX 5 or 7.

only auto chart, not live.  you are correct.  you have to go plug it into the computer to see the results. 

Offline CamoHunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Oct 23, 2015, 11:27 AM »
Helix finders are nice units.  I've been using my 788ci HD on the ice for several years now.  It's AWESOME having gps and lakemaster maps on the unit.  Sold my vexilar years ago and haven't regretted it.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Oct 30, 2015, 02:02 PM »
I'm wondering if the LCD screen has troubles in the cold? Anyone with a Helix that can answer that? I'm guessing no, and I already bought the 'ducer so I'll find out anyway, just curious.

Offline Yankee Troller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Oct 30, 2015, 02:13 PM »
The ICE688 is LCD, and I had no issues last year in temps to -5.
Clam Pro & Yukon TC
Daiwa Laguna Reels

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Oct 30, 2015, 03:15 PM »
0 problems

Catchin' Fish

Offline J-Lopez

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Nov 09, 2015, 01:43 PM »
I bought the helix si this summer and want to try it on the ice. Do I use the transducer that came with it, or do I use the one from my ice45. Any suggestions on pack/case.. I had it mounted to my ice45 mount for the kayak this summer but it isn't a great fit.

Offline Yankee Troller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Nov 09, 2015, 02:03 PM »
I bought the helix si this summer and want to try it on the ice. Do I use the transducer that came with it, or do I use the one from my ice45. Any suggestions on pack/case.. I had it mounted to my ice45 mount for the kayak this summer but it isn't a great fit.

To my knowledge it wont work with your ICE45 ducer.

I'm pretty sure you need this ducer - http://www.humminbird.com/Products/XI-9-20/
Clam Pro & Yukon TC
Daiwa Laguna Reels

Offline CamoHunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Nov 10, 2015, 03:26 PM »
Yankee Troller is correct.

The ICE 35, 45, 55 flasher transducer does not work with any of the digital Humminbird units. 

You need the XI 9 20 transducer, or you can use the boat/skimmer transducer that came with it.  The ice transducer is worth getting though, instead of using the boat transducer, in my opinion.

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Nov 11, 2015, 06:36 AM »
I got a Helix 7 last weekend. I have the Ice ducer on the way. I have it mounted on my trolling motor now. It has been good so far. The clutter on the screen is planktin.

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • STAND FOR THE FLAG, KNEEL FOR THE CROSS
« Reply #22 on: Nov 11, 2015, 08:13 AM »
can the helix 5 be used with a ram mount?

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Nov 11, 2015, 03:50 PM »

Catchin' Fish

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Nov 13, 2015, 09:40 AM »
Yankee Troller is correct.

The ICE 35, 45, 55 flasher transducer does not work with any of the digital Humminbird units. 

You need the XI 9 20 transducer, or you can use the boat/skimmer transducer that came with it.  The ice transducer is worth getting though, instead of using the boat transducer, in my opinion.

Agreed, the ice 'ducer is just easier to use. I just bought one, best price I could find here: http://www.amazon.com/Humminbird-XI-20-Ice-Transducer/dp/B000N2Y86W

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • STAND FOR THE FLAG, KNEEL FOR THE CROSS
« Reply #25 on: Nov 14, 2015, 07:29 AM »
does the helix 5 have different screens for different functions? Wondering if the gps has it's own screen so it could be used mounted on the dash of a snowmobile on my way to places I've saved, then taken inside the shanty and use as a FF. thanks

Offline CamoHunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Nov 15, 2015, 02:34 PM »
does the helix 5 have different screens for different functions? Wondering if the gps has it's own screen so it could be used mounted on the dash of a snowmobile on my way to places I've saved, then taken inside the shanty and use as a FF. thanks

Yes.  It has a variety of combo screens, as well as single purpose screens.  I.E. - GPS/Lake View Only (Chart View), Sonar View Only (Sonar View), Sonar/Chart Combo View, Flasher View, etc.

Offline tjacob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Nov 15, 2015, 03:01 PM »
There are a multitude of options for screen setup. Found this video to be most useful.

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Nov 17, 2015, 12:31 PM »
Used my helix 7 again today. I now have the Ice Xducer on it. I like it. I will give it another go tomorrow.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.