Author Topic: riding lawn mowers  (Read 4951 times)

Offline weneric

• Team IceShanty Regular
riding lawn mowers
« on: Mar 08, 2015, 05:32 PM »
only my 2nd winter back in ct. after 22 years in fla. im getting old and have trouble in the cold  because of smoking. waited too long to quit, and will probably never be right. has anyone ever used a lawnmower without the deck, and put chains on the tires, to haul a sled on the ice? dont remember this amount of snow like this winter. im talking lots of ice, not a lot of snow. i would like to be better prepared next winter. i love to ice fish, and do not want to have to quit. no money for quads, or snowmobiles. do have a riding mower that i dont need though. what do you think? will it work?
wishing i was still young

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: riding lawn mowers
« Reply #1 on: Mar 08, 2015, 06:07 PM »
PSSST! That Guy! PSSST! ;D

Offline weneric

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 08, 2015, 06:21 PM »
please explain. i am missing your point. just an honest request for information

Offline mungo544

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 08, 2015, 06:27 PM »
Might be able to do it  if conditions were right but I don't think it would be legal. I think the law says motorized vehicles like quads and snowmobiles have to be registered to go on the ice. I don't think you could get a reg for your lawnmower.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 08, 2015, 06:33 PM »
please explain. i am missing your point. just an honest request for information

That Guy is a regular Iceshanty poster from CT with a lawnmower modified for icefishing. PSSST is meant get his attention.

Offline weneric

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 08, 2015, 06:36 PM »
thankyou for clarifying that. i was quite offended. i try to be a nice guy.

Offline That Guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 08, 2015, 07:09 PM »
PSSST! That Guy! PSSST! ;D

Lol I just seen this.

To weneric they work pretty well I swapped pulleys on the tranny to get more
Top end which ended up being about 18mph. I welded the diff as well so both tires spun all the time. For tires I just bought studs for ice racing (you can get them on eBay or any ATV shop) and did a v pattern on the back and a straight line down the center on the fronts. In hindsight welding the diff prolly wasn't necessary because once the belt got wet from snow hitting it it would slip. So to make a short answer yes they work. Id say until
Five or so inches of snow. They are much better than walking easy
To load and unload from a truck and I would use one again of I didn't have a sled or quad.

Offline octanehi5

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Work was made for people who can't fish, I'm retir
« Reply #7 on: Mar 08, 2015, 07:09 PM »
I think that once you take your lawn tractor off your property,it does need to be registered and insured, It would work if the snow was not to deep. You can row a boat on the water once you put any type of motor on it it needs to be registered

Offline ATrexOnTheIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • WOMAN SEEKS LARGEMOUTH BASS
« Reply #8 on: Mar 08, 2015, 07:22 PM »
only my 2nd winter back in ct. after 22 years in fla. im getting old and have trouble in the cold  because of smoking. waited too long to quit, and will probably never be right. has anyone ever used a lawnmower without the deck, and put chains on the tires, to haul a sled on the ice? dont remember this amount of snow like this winter. im talking lots of ice, not a lot of snow. i would like to be better prepared next winter. i love to ice fish, and do not want to have to quit. no money for quads, or snowmobiles. do have a riding mower that i dont need though. what do you think? will it work?

I heard Florida is supposed to be good for older folks who smoke.

Offline weneric

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 08, 2015, 07:46 PM »
it is, and i dont smoke anymore. been two years. my wife became disabled and our kids are here. i do love ct. wish i had quit smoking 5 years earlier.. thank you for the advice about riding mowers. if it works for me, ill do it next winter. they can fine me. too many laws. ct. wont even accept my concealed weapons permit. they do love money here for the govt.

Offline That Guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 08, 2015, 07:49 PM »
They do NOT have to be registered. I confirmed with DEEP and the DMV for road use you would need a orange triagle to be completely legal but I don't think anyone would hassle you. They fall under farm equipment and don't need registration

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 08, 2015, 07:52 PM »
They do NOT have to be registered. I confirmed with DEEP and the DMV for road use you would need a orange triagle to be completely legal but I don't think anyone would hassle you. They fall under farm equipment and don't need registration

That's my understanding. If registration was required every kid mowing lawns would need a plate on the back.

Offline weneric

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 08, 2015, 07:53 PM »
thank you

Offline NewGuy123

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Mar 08, 2015, 08:10 PM »
so what all of you are telling me is i need to go pick up a riding mower from craigslist  throw some drywall screws through the tires  and fix a sled to the back of it?

Offline weneric

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Mar 08, 2015, 08:22 PM »
sounds like we are on the right track. cant have a winter like this, with so much snow on the ice. im going to convert my old one for next winter. pulling a loaded sled is really getting hard for me. the gas auger makes it easy. dont want to stop if i can help it. thanks again for all the information . great advice!!!

Offline NewGuy123

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Mar 08, 2015, 08:40 PM »
sounds like we are on the right track. cant have a winter like this, with so much snow on the ice. im going to convert my old one for next winter. pulling a loaded sled is really getting hard for me. the gas auger makes it easy. dont want to stop if i can help it. thanks again for all the information . great advice!!!
Another option is to bring someone young fishing with you to pull it for you
as for snow on the ice  i would immagine  you may be able to make a small plow  to push the snow to the sides of ridging mower

Offline mungo544

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Mar 09, 2015, 07:52 PM »
Very informative!. I think it is great! Maybe in 10 years or so (I will be 61 in April) I will revisit this idea. Good for you Weneric!

Offline mungo544

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Mar 10, 2015, 07:49 AM »
That's my understanding. If registration was required every kid mowing lawns would need a plate on the back.
  ???

Offline Crusty Dave

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Mar 13, 2015, 09:00 PM »
In certain conditions lawn tractors are great on the ice.

Here's my son driving his old Sears Super 12 and towing me and our gear across Winnipesaukee last winter:

That rig is useless this year however.  :tipup:

Offline That Guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Mar 13, 2015, 09:43 PM »
Well ya see snow isn't an issue of you have a problem with overdoing things like I do

Offline IM-POUNDING- R -U

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Mar 13, 2015, 09:54 PM »
NICE!!!!! GREAT IDEA!!!
10% of the fisherman catch 90% of the fish .....im a 10% are you?

Offline Ravo Himself

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Mar 14, 2015, 07:32 AM »
That tire looks menacing. Bet it works great though
The BIG one is just one flag away!

Species caught : largemouth, smallmouth,  bluegill, perch, White perch, crappie, trout, catfish, bowfin, pickerel, pike

-Ryan-

Offline weneric

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Mar 17, 2015, 03:47 PM »
my nephew is going to work with me on my mower this summer. we are going to change pulleys, to a chain drive. that will eliminate snow making the belt slip. this could be the start of a new cheap trend in moving ice fishing gear and people. of course, if it becomes popular, then ct. will add licensing and fees, im sure.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Mar 17, 2015, 03:53 PM »
I've been thinking about a Segway. I've ridden a couple over the years, they are fun once you get the hang of it. Tough to beat for portability and stealth, for icefishing probably just stud the tires and go. I bet it would tow a small jet sled just fine on glare ice. Toys, toys, toys. :)

Offline weneric

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Mar 17, 2015, 04:05 PM »
sounds like a good idea for people younger than me. broken hip would be very long to heal at my age.

Offline icechaser

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Mar 17, 2015, 04:18 PM »
I'd just get the farm triangle on the back-both for looks+ to make sure it's good-it's about the engine size in ct.-mopeds still don't have to be registered if they're under 50cc's-was about to say chain drive-but we're all basement/garage engineers here!-Great idea-

Offline That Guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Mar 17, 2015, 04:41 PM »
I considered changing it to chain drive but didnt because of how weak the gears in the tranny are. I welded the diff in on tranny and that one held up quite a while but eventually blew( we beat on the thing year round) but either way I stayed with a good tight belt drive and 95% of the time had no issues if it started slipping it would only slip until it heated up and dryer itself back off and I would carry a spare belt just incase but I wanted the slip because if you put a serious load on it is rather spin a belt than blow the tranny.

Offline weneric

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Mar 17, 2015, 04:47 PM »
you make a good point. how about if i made an easily removed skid plate to reduce snow problems that would wet the belt?

Offline That Guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Mar 17, 2015, 05:11 PM »
I thought about that and I honestly idk if it would help or hurt by becoming packed with snow but like I said I never had enough of an issue to give it huge though I NEVER got stuck or stranded. When the belt slipped you would just notice it it wouldn't stop movement. Having the diff welded was definetly a big Factor in snow and mud. I never ran the paddle tires with the welded diff because I need had the need and it was more comfortable on just studded tires. The last one I had had different pulleys and a foot throttle and was pretty much like driving a quad around. The only thing I wanted to do that I never did was weld a standing plate on the back for passengers because it was a pain trying to stand on the small piece that you would hook the sled too plus having someone on the back really helped in sloppy stuff

Offline weneric

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Mar 18, 2015, 04:53 PM »
what a great idea!!! you are a pretty smart guy. thanks for your advice. im going to have a decent machine next winter because of you.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.