New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: strange strange year  (Read 1327 times)

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
strange strange year
« on: Mar 03, 2015, 08:30 AM »
what a  strange year  first  no ice  then seemed  like  we  had 6 inches of  ice  form in a  night   great  fishing then  snow snow  snow  then  coldddddddddd  and  the  dreaded slush  and  slush like I  never  seen before .....all and  all  the  season  sucked ..... most years   we  are  talking  last ice  now  and i'm already  fishing open water  this  year  we  got  over  2 foot of ice  everywhere  and  still no thaw ......i'm  thinking when we  do  get a  thaw  and  rain  this  ice  will honeycomb  quick  and  hopefully not  flood to bad I  forsee the  worse  trout opener in years  I  see a  slow  spring  till the  temps  rise  and I  see  a  bad  perch  bite  because i'm betting they  spawn  under the  ice .....the  good  news I  think   it  will slow  the  walleye  spawn  down  and   maybe  well  really hammer  them bad  news a lot  of  breeders  will be  in  corn meal  ......the  good  news  more  snow  tonight  and   we  don't  have to  worry  about  spring  for  awhile 

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: strange strange year
« Reply #1 on: Mar 03, 2015, 08:34 AM »
good thing you have a steel roof Trap, LOL ;D

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Mar 03, 2015, 08:47 AM »
good thing you have a steel roof Trap, LOL ;D

:roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 03, 2015, 09:01 AM »
Rain on wednesday here but then back to single digits the next day..well over 20 inches a ice here if not more..im thinking the crappie here r gonnacspawn under the ice .. ???

Offline Captain1978

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 03, 2015, 09:17 AM »
Yeah you nailed it Trap.....We were supposed to get rain after this snow tonight but now they are saying ice/sleet/snow... If we get a quick warm up with rain trouble awaits for sure. We have a bit of warm weather coming in a way. only being because we will have a few days of high  temps above freezing. It won't do much though as the temps dip back low during the nights. I'm not a Trout fisherman but it doesn't look good for that. When the river thaws it is going to be muddy and nasty. Once it goes down I'll be Bullhead fishing before I get a chance to throw any lures out. I'll probably be Bullhead fishing until middle  May by time the river cleans itself.
EL CAPITANO !!!

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 03, 2015, 09:25 AM »
5-6 inches a snow here coming from the storm then freezing rain glad im inside .loafing around.

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Carpeted boat + rough water = RUGBURN
« Reply #6 on: Mar 03, 2015, 09:27 AM »
I'm glad I sold my maple sugar equipment. Going to be tough conditions getting into the bush this year. Mud season is just around the corner.

OneidaAngler

« Reply #7 on: Mar 03, 2015, 10:40 AM »
It's been a tough year without a doubt. I've got a feeling I will be on ice into the second week of April. Two bad winters in a row could really hurt smaller bodies of water for a few years. Everything is going to be late on spawning this year. A lot of breeder perch, crappie, and gills are going to be taken with this late ice, and that's why I'm sticking to bigger bodies of water that can handle the pressure for future fishing's sake on my small water spots.

Offline sodussut

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Mar 03, 2015, 02:20 PM »
Trap, you hit it right on the head!this year sucks for ice fishing sad to say. usually I like the late ice for jumbo perch but who knows what this cold March will bring. Plan for snow on opening day of trout fishing with water in the low 40's. ouch! :'( :'( :'( :'(

Offline ThisGuy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 03, 2015, 04:22 PM »
I agree. It looked promising when the ice finally came, was doing really good for a minute. Now I haven't even been to some of my good spots. Damn snow. I'll release the breeder eyes, Trapper, as long as I can hook a few eaters too!
This house is protected by the good Lord and a gun

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 03, 2015, 04:38 PM »
No January or February thaw really makes it tough.

Next thing you know it will be sunny and 95 and we will be begging for ice!

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Mar 03, 2015, 04:51 PM »
oh I have  no problem  fishing open water  but  did it  ever hit  95  in upstate  new York last year?????

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Mar 03, 2015, 04:51 PM »
No January or February thaw really makes it tough.

Next thing you know it will be sunny and 95 and we will be begging for ice!

Maybe you will....I'm gonna kiss the first mosquito I see ;D

Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 03, 2015, 07:41 PM »
Maybe you will....I'm gonna kiss the first mosquito I see ;D

Rg

Don't forget about the black flys and deer flys. They need love too.  ;D

Offline fishingPole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Mar 03, 2015, 09:14 PM »
January ice was great, not much snow, no slush, then the deep snow came, you know the rest.  Equipment getting put away, heading to Florida next week for my yearly trek south.  Will be doing a lot of surf fishing.
Leave it better than you found it

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Mar 04, 2015, 12:05 AM »
Hats off to rg..i think u have the saying on this topic..gonna kiss the first mosquito you see...gonna be hard to top that one :clap:

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Mar 04, 2015, 05:17 AM »
as much as I despise this weather, I'm gonna try to get out a couple more times (operative word being try), maybe tomorrow. I still have a pic on my phone of me standing out on Basin Bay on Lake George looking back at shore on April 10th last year.
I do have to admit that I'm ready for it to go though. I bought a new(for me)boat late last summer and didn't get to use it much.
A Government big enough to do anything for us is powerful enough to do anything to us!!!
All That Is Needed For Evil To Succeed Is For Good Men To Do Nothing!
Life is Tough, Its even tougher if you're Stupid!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.