Author Topic: first atv for icefishing  (Read 2669 times)

Offline BassOn

• Team IceShanty Regular
first atv for icefishing
« on: Mar 02, 2015, 06:02 AM »
hey guys i just bought a grizzly 660 for icefishing.this is my first atv and have very little experience with them on the ice.any safty tips or advice i should know i would love to hear about it.im really lookin forward to fishing new grounds and being more mobile to search for fish.on glare ice do you guys just chain the back tires or do you chain all 4.thanks for any advice.

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: first atv for icefishing
« Reply #1 on: Mar 02, 2015, 06:09 AM »
I just chain the back tires,but some do all 4.Some quads have steering problems with chains on the fronts. Really deep snow can be trouble.

Offline skulldugary

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 02, 2015, 07:55 AM »
Studded tires are another option for glare ice but I just chain the rear tires on my Grizzly...

Offline BassOn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 02, 2015, 08:02 AM »
thankyou for the advice.ill just chain the backs to avoid problems in the future...being from ct thier usually isnt many people with machines to help you out if you break down.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 02, 2015, 12:02 PM »
chains of rear... studs in front...
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline Ice_Addict

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 03, 2015, 11:41 AM »
Depending on how far you will be traveling, you might be just fine without any chains or studs. I don't have to travel farther than a couple miles on any lake I fish and I don't use chains or studs. It's pretty rare that there isn't any snow at all on the ice here. Even if there is very little snow for traction, it's not hard to drive a straight line and turn on glare ice, at least in my experience. Just take it easy, which you should do on the ice anyway.

I don't want chains chewing up my trailer, driveway or garage floor. So the minimal inconvenience of not having chains on the ice is worthwhile for me. And, I don't want to chain up after unloading my ATV on each trip. This is just my opinion and what works for me. Thought I would throw it out there - maybe you want to see how things go without chains before settling on it. :)

Offline BassOn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 03, 2015, 08:08 PM »
ok thanks for the tips guys.gonna just chain the rears and see how that goes.not many people drive atvs here in ct so if i get stuck i have noone to bail me out.i just want to have the ability to get the best traction possible without putting too much stress on my machine.

Offline redneckdan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 14, 2015, 07:59 AM »
Chains will not stress the front end any more than driving on bare pavement. Zero wheel slip is zero wheel slip. Leave the front end unlocked. What really stress the front end is off camber mud riding where a spinning wheel slams down and gains traction again. Great for blowing CVs, gears, housings, etc...

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Mar 16, 2015, 09:20 AM »
I havent had any issues using my Grizzly on the ice this winter withour chains or studs. Bare ice was fine and never had more than a foot of snow to go thru

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #9 on: Mar 17, 2015, 04:09 PM »
I don't think I rode out in less than a foot of snow with about 4-6" of slush under it. If you're going out in snow and slush, bare tires alone can be a b***h without chains.

Offline JonPerry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Mar 20, 2015, 10:02 PM »
I believe you can chain the front on yours without putting spacers on your front hubs. The big concern is inside clearance between the tire & suspension components. ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.