The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: My 1st trip north  (Read 746 times)

Offline Deathtofish

• IceShanty Rookie
My 1st trip north
« on: Mar 01, 2015, 01:29 PM »
So just came back from 3 days of fishing north. I'm a mass guy so was pretty pumped to target some new to me species. Rented a house on a medium sized lake set up my portable in about 50ft. 4 traps and a jigging rod. Then cut it down to 3 and 2 jigs. First day only had an afternoon got my first togue ever. On the jig. 27" was pretty pumped. Took a break and headed back out around 8pm to try to get my first cusk. Cusk fishing is awesome!!!! Picked at some 18-20" cusk,about half a dozen that first night. Second day was decent on togue. 5 all in the 18-24" range. That the night the cusk were insane. Stayed in the shack till almost 4am averaging a hook up every 15-30mins. And got a big one 33" and guessing 10#. Few more togue and cusk the last day. Nothing special. Awesome trip. I'll see if these pictures work then I'll add some more.

photobucket.com/user/XDeathtofishx/media/image_zpsd31d6578.jpg.html][/URL]

Offline Deathtofish

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: My 1st trip north
« Reply #1 on: Mar 01, 2015, 01:32 PM »

Offline Deathtofish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 01, 2015, 01:33 PM »
Also gave up on traps when temp dropped below -10. -18 for a low and blowing 20. So 90% caught on the jigs!

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 01, 2015, 01:59 PM »
Nice looking cusk They must be moving into there spawning areas. The Butt kind of spoiled the picture!!!!!!!

Offline Deathtofish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 01, 2015, 02:20 PM »
Ya shudda stuck that in the can. Oh yeah the first togue was actually a group effort ate both my jig and my girlfriends at the same time. Thought we had a double till we got to the leader. Got some funny video of that but a lil too much adult language involved.

Offline phatptrck1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 01, 2015, 02:50 PM »
Ya shudda stuck that in the can. Oh yeah the first togue was actually a group effort ate both my jig and my girlfriends at the same time. Thought we had a double till we got to the leader. Got some funny video of that but a lil too much adult language involved.
probably wouldnt be anything i dont hear and/or say myself  ;D would love to watch it.

Offline pfeifferpower

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 01, 2015, 04:42 PM »
sounds like a lot of fun....thats good jigging cusk up every fifteen,,,,the cusk are definiyly spawning,,,we got seven in 6 feet of water,,,,,fun stuff

Offline chum bucket

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 01, 2015, 06:20 PM »
Those are some great pics of some great fish. Congrats on your trip up north.
Semper Fi

Offline countyboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 01, 2015, 06:37 PM »
Looks like you did well.Nice pics.

Offline jfisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 01, 2015, 06:57 PM »
Nice looking cusk.

Offline anglure

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 01, 2015, 07:06 PM »
  Sounds and looks like it was an excellent trip !   :woot: :thumbsup:   One fish on both your jigs must have been HILARIOUS and NUTS at the same time !!    :o   ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.